Juniata River Wading Access Options

Bass fishing is much better in October than August, though, but I agree. It's been in August or September every year except last year.
Dear jifigz,

Back when I lived in the Southern Tier of NY when the river started 'working" in September, "working" being the local term for the grass cutting loose, it seemed to coincide with increased activity from the cool-water fish like Northern Pike, Musky, and Walleye.

When the river remained relatively ice free there were many spots where you could stand on the bank and catch walleye one right after another. It wasn't really a fly-fishing opportunity, but the walleye would stack up in eddies and backwaters like cord wood to winter over.

If there is one thing I miss about up there it was the diversity of fish found in all the major river drainages. The Chemung, Chenango, and Tioughnioga Rivers all eventually drained into the NB of the Susquehanna in NY State. Even in the heat of summer while fly fishing for smallmouth it was not uncommon to catch a few walleyes and have a few chases and/or bite-offs from pike or musky. I know all of those fish are sort of available in the Susquehanna and Juniata locally, but up there they were fairly common.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Dear jifigz,

Back when I lived in the Southern Tier of NY when the river started 'working" in September, "working" being the local term for the grass cutting loose, it seemed to coincide with increased activity from the cool-water fish like Northern Pike, Musky, and Walleye.

When the river remained relatively ice free there were many spots where you could stand on the bank and catch walleye one right after another. It wasn't really a fly-fishing opportunity, but the walleye would stack up in eddies and backwaters like cord wood to winter over.

If there is one thing I miss about up there it was the diversity of fish found in all the major river drainages. The Chemung, Chenango, and Tioughnioga Rivers all eventually drained into the NB of the Susquehanna in NY State. Even in the heat of summer while fly fishing for smallmouth it was not uncommon to catch a few walleyes and have a few chases and/or bite-offs from pike or musky. I know all of those fish are sort of available in the Susquehanna and Juniata locally, but up there they were fairly common.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂
Yeah, I wish we had that here, too. More walleye, pike, etc. I've always had this thing for pike. I don't know what it is, but I like em

Do the Susky and Juniata get too warm for good walley fishing? Back in the early 2000's I did catch a couple in the Susky, but they were a rare occurrence.

Do the Susky and Juniata get too warm for good walley fishing? Back in the early 2000's I did catch a couple in the Susky, but they were a rare occurrence.
Dear wildtrout,

There are plenty of them on the North Branch the further you go above Sunbury. Once you get above Laceyville/Tunkhannock PA the river is loaded with them, especially during the Spring when they spawn.

When I lived in upstate NY there were a couple of tagged walleyes caught in the Binghamton NY area that had been tagged around Berwick PA. That's probably close to 100 river miles upriver, but walleyes are known to travel in river systems.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

I know a couple of guys who fish the dock street dam in Harrisburg for walleye during the cooler months, so I know they’re there. I’ve only ever caught a handful while fishing for smallies.

I believe it may be this. But I’m not certain.

5. Wild Celery​

Similar in appearance to eelgrass, the long, ribbon-like leaves of wild celery can be distinguished by the light green stripe running down the center of each leaf. Wild celery grows in fresh and slightly salty waters throughout the region, including the upper Chesapeake Bay and its tidal and non-tidal tributaries.

Wild celery can withstand disturbance from waves and is more tolerant of murky, pollutant-rich waters than other underwater grasses. Many underwater grasses serve as an important food source for critters, but wild celery’s buds and roots are particularly important to waterfowl as they migrate and overwinter in the Bay region.

In fact, the scientific name for the canvasback, Aythya valisineria, comes from the first part of wild celery’s scientific name, Vallisneria americana.
View attachment 1641236957
I have always told people it's wild celery.

There used to be a healthy population in the Juniata, too, but I believe they were all from the PFBC fingerling program. I don't think they really stock walleye in the Juniata much anymore, and I don't see many these days.

Walleyes and muskies are numerous in the Juniata (both have been stocked since the 60s).

I have never seen or heard of a northern pike coming from the Juniata but I would guess there might be one here or there. They show up in the Susquehanna occasionally in surveys around Harrisburg and one and awhile someone will catch one.

Up in the North Branch pike are much more common for some reason - perhaps simply due to somewhat cooler water as adult pike don't tolerate warm water as well as muskies..

There used to be a healthy population in the Juniata, too, but I believe they were all from the PFBC fingerling program. I don't think they really stock walleye in the Juniata much anymore, and I don't see many these days.
They dropped the Juniata from the walleye fingerling/fry program a few years ago (as they have from other river sections). I seem to recall that there was a push to see if natural repro could sustain the population (this has also been done with muskies in the North Branch Susky) in the Juniata but I have lost touch with this matter. Whatever the case, if future surveys reveal few walleyes, I would hope the return to stocking the J.

Back