June Camping Trip: North Central PA?

T

Tiogadog

Hey everyone:

I have been kicking around the notion of a trip to North Central PA this upcoming June. This trip is really in the incubation phase. The trip will be in early June

Basically, I am looking for somewhere with trout fishing and some family activities.

We will be staying our popup camper.

What state parks / campgrounds should we consider in this area?

Thanks,

T

Check out Pettecote Junction campground in Cedar Run. We’ve been staying there for more than 30 years. It borders Pine Creek (@ junction with Cedar a Run) and the rail trail. Quiet and family friendly.

+1 for Pettecote Junction campground.

Add me to the list for Pettecote Junction. Stayed there for the first time this year and I am planning on a couple of trips for next year.

And yet another vote for Pettecote!!

It's clean, quiet and convenient to lots of places and unlike Old Bull, alcohol IS permitted!!

For myself on a strictly fishing trip, I'd prefer Ole Bull SP.

But for a family trip, Pettecote Junction is perfect. It's very scenic there.

There is a country store that is a pleasant walk away where you can get ice cream cones.

And the bike trail is very popular with families.

To low on Pine. Family activities required. Get your family up on rt. 6, Fromes Acres or near. Now, the Pa. Grand Canyon awaits with family fun. A nice shopping visit in the town of Wellsboro, a wonderful lunch at the Wellsboro Diner, Pictures from Colton Point, some inner tubing on Pine. Take the family to a town called Tiadaughton, drive down the rd, A lot more in this area than you think. Up above Galeton use to be the Ice Mine. Ask around. I'll bet not any has been to Frome's From this location, you will be amazed of all the "Hidden Pa. Wonders" Wellsboro used to have a train ride, Check it out. And as far as fishing, "None Better". Most fishermen think Pine Creek at Slate Run, boy what a trip.
Slate Run is where just about everybody stops. It is good for a beer and sandwich and fishing in a commercial setting. Owasssee, Watrous, Ansonia, that's were the adventurers go!

Maxima12

Anywhere but that place Festus invited us to in 2006.

Just kidding. We had a blast.

maxima12 wrote:
To low on Pine. Family activities required. Get your family up on rt. 6, Fromes Acres or near. Now, the Pa. Grand Canyon awaits with family fun. A nice shopping visit in the town of Wellsboro, a wonderful lunch at the Wellsboro Diner, Pictures from Colton Point, some inner tubing on Pine. Take the family to a town called Tiadaughton, drive down the rd, A lot more in this area than you think. Up above Galeton use to be the Ice Mine. Ask around. I'll bet not any has been to Frome's From this location, you will be amazed of all the "Hidden Pa. Wonders" Wellsboro used to have a train ride, Check it out. And as far as fishing, "None Better". Most fishermen think Pine Creek at Slate Run, boy what a trip.
Slate Run is where just about everybody stops. It is good for a beer and sandwich and fishing in a commercial setting. Owasssee, Watrous, Ansonia, that's were the adventurers go!

Maxima12

Wellsboro has a train ride...
https://tiogacentral.com/

I would eat right across from the train station at the...https://www.thewellsborohouse.com/

maxima12 wrote:

Maxima12

Wellsboro has a train ride...
https://tiogacentral.com/

I would eat right across from the train station at the...https://www.thewellsborohouse.com/

I would camp at Lyman Run State Park..

Brad, yes indeed, thank you. Lyman Run very cool, I love it there. The distance? Wellsboro? Your kind of stuck on the other side of the Mt. At one time maybe but Galeton has lost a lot! For an old guy like me! Perfect. For family activities, Wellsboro! I like Coudersport but so did Elliot Ness! Nice but what activities!

Tiogadog, many good choices! Choices, so many! If it all revolves around fishing, Lyman Run and will put you to West Branch Pine Creek and will put you to Pine Creek Galeton and will put you to a real sleeper, Genessee Forks! And if your daring to trespass Brookland Club on Pine! And then a small stream at Denton Hill, Well you will have to figure this one out on your own!

Maxima12

Well one more that nobody would ever think of! Stoney Fork Campground! I bet not too many Stoney Fork fishermen!

more permanent camps there anymore in stoney fork, newer one and with alot of amenities would be pine creek campground. yes jack all redone from that horrible time you had. now its really nice

I'd just park the camper in Maxima 12's yard.

D-nymph wrote:
I'd just park the camper in Maxima 12's yard.

No hookups, however, but a good idea.

You could of but in the process of selling Muncy Creek home! Would have gave the grand tour of Muncy and opened my home to you. Always a busy place around my house fishing season. People stopping for fly's, leaders, wanting to go fishing, coffee, lunch, talk, what-ever I had to offer on that particular day! Yes, bait too!

Have moved to a small apartment in Muncy. Seems all the folks found me and even more folks. Funny thing, did not need to live next to a stream for fishing companions and friendship. Does not matter where you live!

Well, went back to work in the meat dept. at Weis Markets, Muncy. Part time, just 5 days a week. Will be a little limited on fishing time but none the less busy tying fly's, selling leaders, working, collecting a pension and social security! Fishing has been good to me and the whole package is outstanding! If I don't wake up tomorrow, it has been good! Like to think, "I did it all".

So, no hookups, you might be surprised how hooked up you can be if you show up!

Lyman Run and Ole Bull would be great choices. Sinnemahoning also might fit what you’re looking for. A lot of family stuff to do within an hour or so - the Wildlife Center and the lake at the park are great for kids. Hyner view, Elk Country visitors center, cherry springs dark skies, the PA lumber museum, route 144 overlooks, and quehanna wild area are all not too far away. Pretty much anywhere in that area will suit you fishing-wise.

Back