Jumping in with both feet

C

Canoetripper

Maybe just a foot and a half. I have been kind of very curious about Euro nymph fly fishing as well as any other kind of nymph fishing since I have only ever fished with nymphs twice and both times were with a guide on the Frying Pan River in Colorado.

I did catch trout with the guides helping me.

Orvis has a 20% discount on their entry level Clearwater 10' 3 wt. outfit fully loaded Euro nymphing rod, reel, and line. Merry Christmas to me.

Just what I need. Another fly rod/reel/line.

I like to catch trout on a dry the most, but usually let them chase wooly buggers underneath.

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

CT

Nice!

I recently went through the same thing. I love nymph fishing, but felt just a little bit "dirty" using an indicator (it was a "bobber" in my mind).

So when I found a deal on a Redington Hydrogen, I picked one up.

I was very fortunate in that my very first time trying it, I had a guy with me that was an experienced euro/tight line nympher. He was a huge help in getting me started on the right direction.

I don't consider myself experienced enough yet to offer specific advice, but hope that you enjoy your new endeavor.

I know that the fish that I've caught already have been so much more satisfying than those caught on indicators.

Have fun!

Canoetripper,

How about we get together and fish and I'll help you out with nymphing as much as I possibly can. I don't "Euro-nymlh," per se, but I successfully tightline on rods as short as 7.5 feet. There is also a type of water/stream where an indicator far outshines that style of nymphing. It all comes down to what type of water you're on and reading each particular run/riffle/pool. Generally I employ both tactics just depending on what type of water I come across and all that it takes is removing or adding an indicator. No need to go crazy with 30 feet of leader material and sighters and all of that. Sure, going full out like that works but then it limits your styles of fishing that can be accomplished that day.

Throw it upstream.

Drift it downstream.

Repeat.

when line stops pull up and you will usually have a stick, sometimes it will be a fish

troutbert wrote:
Throw it upstream.

Drift it downstream.

Repeat.

This.

I find the most dynamic nymphing is to long line nymph on a mend no indicator. I can control depth and drift by mending.

Same 590 rod, same line, same leader all year round.

Also if you're not hooking the bottom, or sticks, every so often, you're missing fish.

The two times I nymph fished with a guide in Colorado it was two/three nymphs watching the indicator. It worked. I caught trout.

I am obviously a beginner at nymph fishing but want to improve.

I have a lot of fly rods since I have my grandfather's and father's fly rods as well as the third generation membership in their R&G club in the Poconos where I now do all of my fly fishing.

The trout are stocked but I have a great time. I want to fish during the winter and know that nymph fishing is my best chance of catching trout.

My four rod Fly Rod Vault really helps in many ways. I can easily switch from something already rigged up for nymphs/streamers/dries.

And, I can always honor both my father and grandfather by fishing with their two favorite fly rods.

The other thing that I like about the Poconos where I fly fish is that the bar tenders at the local bar know me well enough to treat me like a local.

Canoe I'm happy to teach you anything I know although by no means am I a pro. One thing you should do is pick up Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniel. It's basically the jumping off point if you want to really get good at the technique and the different flies.

I have ordered two of his books. It is something that I can do to pass the time while I am getting my Reimicade infusions

Back