Journal?

I've used Excel some, for numbers.

But can you use it for long text files?

And would that be "user friendly?"

troutbert wrote:

I use an Excel SS for text files for business. It's great since you can use filters to sort and call up files by any category you set up.

CVangler wrote:
Who keeps a journal record of every outing? How is your journal set up? Really want to start keeping one but not sure which format I should use.

I keep a journal. I used to use a free website but now I made my own pages and made my own book.
I can't remember the website but if I find it I will post it.
If you want a pdf file of my book page I created PM me your email.

I find the journal helps me as I'm still learning.

I also use the notes feature on my iphone to keep track of peoples names I meet that I fish with and streams, flys I used etc.

afishinado wrote:
troutbert wrote:

I use an Excel SS for text files for business. It's great since you can use filters to sort and call up files by any category you set up.

What does SS mean?

"Super Sport" - It's a top trim line, performance oriented version of Excel, preferred by data connoisseurs. Comes stock with a large displacement, high output V-8 data processor and stiffer, more aggressive analytic settings from the factory. ;-)

Swattie87 wrote:
"Super Sport" - It's a top trim line, performance oriented version of Excel, preferred by data connoisseurs. Comes stock with a large displacement, high output V-8 data processor and stiffer, more aggressive analytic settings from the factory. ;-)

^that..........or Spread Sheet.

I keep one of those small leatherbound journals in my vehicle. Each fly fishing outing, I just note where I went, fish caught and on what flies, weather conditions, and what bugs or other interesting things I've seen. I've been keeping one since I got back into fly fishing in 2013.

I also at the end of the year, like to see how often I've gotten out compared to prior years.

I'm at 20 days this year, a few days short of last year, so I need to finish strong in the next 1.5 months to catch last year...

i looked through past journals and compared them to present ones on the same waters, her's a sample.

10/10/ 85 62 f no wind broken clouds.
Fished the hammer today caught three browns largest 18" smallest 12"
saw two mink and a muskrat. two red fox were mousing in the meadow below the second hole. picked up a TH coffee cup.

11/10/2016 62f sunny 5mph gusting 15
Didn't see a fish, litter everywhere, lower two holes posted.

I use this. I really like it and it's cheap

http://www.rainwriter.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RITR-1732&gclid=CNOMo-DRstACFZRMDQodZNoLlw

mcwillja wrote:

http://www.rainwriter.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RITR-1732&gclid=CNOMo-DRstACFZRMDQodZNoLlw

That is awesome. I use a rite in the rain notepad and it works well. That is even better with the pre-filled out info to collect.

10/10/ 85

Wow.... you have journal entries from '85? That's very cool. Also, your entry for that date is pretty interesting. Gives a nice snapshot of the stream over time. I dig it.

mcwillja wrote:

Do you use any of there writing utencils? The "write in the rain" variety? I'm mechanical pencil dork (I think most drafters are LOL), and am thinking of getting there red lead, .7mm mechanical pencil. Thinking this would be absolutely perfect for marking up maps in less then best conditions.

I've been using a Sokkia/Rite in the Rain hardback notebook since i moved to central PA. I organized it according to water, with each day recording weather/water conditions/bugs and fish caught/LDR's. I've found it useful to predict hatches. and. it gives my engineering mind an outlet since changing careers.

I do not keep a journal of every time I fish but I do keep a notebook in my fishing bag that I write things down like patterns, leader formulas, things I need to purchase or restock, places I want to fish or notes about access points.

I've kept a journal on and off for a long time.

In looking back, what matters least are the fishing results, although they have been useful in gauging whether or not fishing is improving or declining on certain streams. Early on they were good for learning hatches, but after a while one figures out that sulphurs hatch in May and June, etc and maybe patterns aren't as important that I thought.

What I enjoy most looking back are the miscellaneous things: discussions with friends, discovery of historical artifacts, notes on birds and animals, etc. The stories from my fishing trips mean more to me than the fish.

What I wish I had done more was document in more detail stream conditions like stream width, bottom condition, bug counts etc to show how my local streams have changed. I have my memories, but they always correlate to my notes.

JeffK wrote:

What I enjoy most looking back are the miscellaneous things: discussions with friends, discovery of historical artifacts, notes on birds and animals, etc. The stories from my fishing trips mean more to me than the fish.

Very good points. I highly recommend writing down these miscellaneous things, stories, interesting observations, etc.

Rather than just thinking of it as recording "data." Because data is boring, and you won't actually use it much.

If you write down some of the stories, interesting conversations, wildlife observations, etc. it makes very good reading years later. Even if you just write down a few notable things from the trip, when you read that later on, those items will bring a lot of other memories of the day.

I keep records, not necessarily a journal, of every single fishing trip that I make. I've been doing this since 2009. I record date, stream name/section, time started/ended, weather, water conditions/TEMP, fish caught (notable size/numbers), and comments on anything I might have seen that's interesting to me.
I tend to look back and compare results from year to year, as this gives me somewhat of an idea of the status of a given stream. Plus, when I get really old, it will bring back some memories, much like the pics that I take.

I did for a ever so short period of time in the 80's. I also took pictures. I do neither now because I never ever looked at them again. Back then taking a picture meant carrying a pocket 110. I have taken pictures with my cell phone but that was only because I was being charged by a 4' snapping turtle and I wanted my family to know what happened to me. I prefer memories since they are usually better sounding then reality was.

Back