Jon Parker Bamboo

Schaefer406

Schaefer406

Good morning!

I have had a Jon Parker bamboo rod that was handed down in my possession for quite some time now. It is a 7.5' 2wt (if I remember correctly). I am not particularly into smaller stream fishing, and this style of rod doesn't really match up well with my favorite fishing technique (tightline nymphing large water). I do want to have some new experiences and try some smaller waters this fall and winter, so I am looking for some line recommendations for a shorter/lighter rod like this, particularly for brook trout. Additionally, if anyone else has one of his rods, I would love to know your experience with it.

From my minimal research (3 minutes of google searching), it seems as if he was a rod maker from the Catskills region in NY in his prime (moved to WY then back to NY), who had a robust catalog in the 1990s. I also read that the price for his bamboo rods in the 90s was $1000. If you have some history you want to pass down to my mid-20s self please do!

Good morning!

I have had a Jon Parker bamboo rod that was handed down in my possession for quite some time now. It is a 7.5' 2wt (if I remember correctly). I am not particularly into smaller stream fishing, and this style of rod doesn't really match up well with my favorite fishing technique (tightline nymphing large water). I do want to have some new experiences and try some smaller waters this fall and winter, so I am looking for some line recommendations for a shorter/lighter rod like this, particularly for brook trout. Additionally, if anyone else has one of his rods, I would love to know your experience with it.

From my minimal research (3 minutes of google searching), it seems as if he was a rod maker from the Catskills region in NY in his prime (moved to WY then back to NY), who had a robust catalog in the 1990s. I also read that the price for his bamboo rods in the 90s was $1000. If you have some history you want to pass down to my mid-20s self please do!
Sounds like a sweet rod!! Post some pics??

Check out the Classic Fly Rod forum
CFRF - Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods

Do a search on Jon Parker and you should be able to find some info.
And you may find someone familiar with that rod's taper.

FWIW I like fishing Cortland 444 peach fly lines on my bamboo. Maybe try a WF 2wt. The WF will help load the rod with not a lot of line out since you're not going to be casting long distances on smaller water.

But it'll depend on the rod's taper/action.

Good Luck!
🍻

Back