Jim Harrison article, "Older Fishing"

P

PSUhorty

My favorite author, Jim Harrison, who regrettably passed several years ago wrote this article which I just now happened upon. Longish article, but stick with it. I think some of you might quite enjoy it.

https://midcurrent.com/books/older-fishing/

I remember reading that one awhile back. Great writer! Whenever I read his stories or those of his contemporaries, McGuane especially, I think of two things with slight envy: 1. their abilities as wordsmiths - just outstanding writers and 2. How great it must have been to have fished and hunted back in the 60s and 70s. Imagine being in the vanguard of skiff fishing in Key West when it was still counter-culture!? For reference check “The Longest Silence” - soo good!

Enjoyed the article- I’m sure everyone can find something in the article about themselves, experiences and of course angling.

Great lines... " We can be as honest as we can be and still be hopelessly dishonest. Our private mythologies have a soft stranglehold on us."

The stories we tell ourselves are the most powerful in the world.

Also, Copper Canyon Press, his poetry publisher, is putting out an Essential Jim Harrison collection that I'd highly recommend - https://www.coppercanyonpress.org/pages/browse/book.asp?bg=%7BAF3B23C0-8EA8-4633-A611-7B9FC9D097FA%7D

Nice read for another snowy morning ...

"We all know the openness and relief of launching a skiff or stepping in the shallows in our waders for a day of fishing. “Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, I’m free at last.” Your professional and personal problems drift away into the smell and sound of the river, into the peopleless landscape that neutralizes the poison."

I need to neutralize some poison for sure.

I read this great Harrison piece years ago and just re read it...

Zenriver's remarks above,made me realize anew,that I have had such good fortune to have had a job that let me fish all over South America(its lakes and rivers),Central America, and the Caribbean(read "Out Islands") during the 70s, on the company I worked for "nickle". Fortunately,I do have some pics that help
jog my memories of those incredible experiences.

Outdoor writers that are exceptional wordsmiths have the ability to conjure up those distant memories and, ALSO enhance my present day fishing activities: e.g.Jim Harrison,Nick Lyons,John Gierach..just to name a few).Plus some members on this forum that have blogs can do it for me too!!!

It seems to be popular to be old right now. McGuane had an article in FTJ about old fly-fishermen and another interviewing other old fishermen in the recent issue of The Drake. Both McGuane and Harrison write well.

However, as an old guy, I assure you that I would much rather be young than old. As others have said, getting old is not for sissies.

I fished 30 miles offshore today. I am hurting !! Getting old AIN"T for sissies as I always say. Prognosis for recovery is good. GG

Nice article. Been fishing my whole life (60 now) Just started dabbling in FF'ing last year and know I will never be a fly guy except maybe 6 days or so a year. Not enough time to be really good, but enough to appreciate the sport.

BTW, I wonder if I lost an eye as a kid if I would have stuck with fishing........must be tough!

Quit reading when I go to the crap about nymph fishing. It's possible to write a nice essay without turning into a stereotypical old fashioned dry fly snob.

It's Jim Harrison. He's allowed to be a snob :)

Never heard of the dude until now. He can be whatever he wants though.

Holy crap, that guy could write. Thank you for sharing.

If you have NetFlix and you get a chance, watch Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown, Montana. Jim is his guest. Anthony goes fly fishing. Jim reads his poetry. It is easly the best episode.

Good stuff... Harrison was widely acknowledged to have been one of the foremost American novelists/essayists/poets of his generation. Pretty special guy when it comes to folks with a talent for turning a phrase.

I second that Bourdain episode... it's a classic and one of his best.

3rd on the Bourdain episode.

Back