Jig flies

It'll probably cast like a wet rag, but here's one like those on the last page.

8285402169_89e4bb8c47_z.jpg

Jay348,

How do you tie that craft fur into the head of those flies in your OP?

CLSports wrote:
Jay348,

How do you tie that craft fur into the head of those flies in your OP?

I just clip a bunch of the craft fur to equal lenghts, brush out the fuzzy under-fur, and twist it in a dubbing loop (or two depending on how big of a fly). You'll probably need a good 4-5" section for most streamers. This will wrap forward like a fuzzy chenille to form the head. Just work the materials back with your fingers as you wrap forward...this keeps the stuff from clumping together and the head will look more full.

I've been completely sold on this method lately. It takes a little practice, and it can take up some time. But once you get it down, I think its much easier to work with than deer hair to get the bulky-head look. Plus it takes permanent marker ink like a champ...tons of options.

Craft fur dubbing loop is awesome. I love it for streamer heads. I also do the same method using Senyo's Lazer dub.

dubthethorax wrote:
Craft fur dubbing loop is awesome. I love it for streamer heads. I also do the same method using Senyo's Lazer dub.

Nice, finally ordered some of the laser dub this weekend. I'll have to give that a try once it shows up.

Thanks. I have some of that craft fur for a while, but I had not used any yet. That seems easy enough. I guess trimming the head to shape is necessary too.

server went down last night so I didn't post these till now. Dub if you fish the east branch this has always worked for me (fun fur craw) on a size 8 (1/80 oz) jig hook. that stream is chocked full of crawfish..

Attachments

• Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Image00006.jpg
    Image00006.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2
Did this today while waiting on server;
I call it " The Squashy" after sasquatch on here..

Attachments

• Image00008.jpg
    Image00008.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Image00010.jpg
    Image00010.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 4
CLSports wrote:
I guess trimming the head to shape is necessary too.

Yep forgot to add that. Your scissors will do the trick as well. No razor blades necessary!

jay348 wrote:
dubthethorax wrote:

Nice, finally ordered some of the laser dub this weekend. I'll have to give that a try once it shows up.

Use a lot of it and brush it with Velcro. I like it because both ends are "even". With craft fur, one side is tapered and the other is clipped from your scissors so you sometimes have some spikey fibers stick up. Check the anglers choice blog for some good lazer dub heads.

I love using jig hooks for a lot of my tight line nymphing. I use the Fly tyers boutique hooks from 12's to 18's.

http://www.flytyingboutique.com/shop/product.cfm?product=477

If you use tungsten slotted beads they fit right up against the eye and doesn't leave much of the shank exposed. Like said previously these hooks greatly reduce sangs and can prevent you from burning your own water.

Back