Jig flies

jay348

jay348

After thinking about this past year, I realized I haven't caught a single smallie in 2012. Not even a little tiny one...and these are usually commonplace. Might be bad timing at this point in the season, but I've been tying a bunch of bass-sized streamers lately. Adding to this, I keep coming back to hook point-up patterns.

I recently ordered some jig hooks; and after a couple duds, I'm really starting to like them.

Here's a simple one I'm liking:

Recipe
Tail: palmered marabou and flash of choice
Body: palmer chenille and (standard?) chenille twisted together
Collar: Schlappen
Rubber legs
Over-body: rabbit strip pierced through the center and tied down over the collar
Lead dumbell eyes
Head: Craft fur (plus sharpie)

8271459022_dfdc7d5c50_z.jpg

Anyone else using jig hooks? Know of any other patterns?

They would work great in the delaware along the canal walls for walleye now. have tied flys to act like jigs over the years for them..

Attachments

• walleye fly jig.jpg
    walleye fly jig.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2
  • walleye jig.jpg
    walleye jig.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 2
Jig hooks such as those shown in Jay's pics are an excellent addition to any tiers box IMO. I use them mainly for salt patterns, however the concept works great for any fly that utilizes dumbbell weights or is otherwise designed to swim in a hook-up manner. Almost all of my freshwater streamers are tied with dumbbell weights and, if using a straight shank hook, I'll bend the eye up slightly to replicate this effect. You can also use hooks designed for soft plastic lures to get a similar shape. Such spin fishing hooks are readily available at Wal-Mart or local hardware stores and can be purchased in small packs for a low price. Most are laser sharpened too.
Every warm water spin fisherman knows that hair jigs are top shelf for cold weather smallies and walleyes in rivers. The flies Jay tied with these jig hooks would be excellent for such applications where a low and slow presentation is the key.

Thanks guys. Funny you mention it, but I've actually never caught a walleye. While I don't see myself making trips to specifically target them with flies...I think it would be cool to catch one. Plus, I hear they're delicious!

Fishidiot wrote:
You can also use hooks designed for soft plastic lures to get a similar shape.

These are actually next on my list! I bought a pack or two for my dad over the summer, so I may just swipe a couple next time I head north.

"The hairy fodder" By: Craig Riendeau

photo7_zpsd97c1c4b.jpg

Those little rubber rings you tie on and can change the weight of the dumbells on the fly. It's a great system, and does work really well. The little rattles I got from bass pro shops, this is the jig and pig for the fly rod. I found the article in the spring 2009 issue of fly tyer. This crayfish colored fly has given me some dandy times. I tried to find the rubber rings around and could not, you can get them from him his number is at the end of the article 687-315-2800. Not trying to sell stuff for him but if you like the idea of it just a way to get a hold of him.
Nice flies you got there Jay.

Have you tried rubber O rings found at home depot ?

I have tied up a few of these never really tried them since the smallies are disappearing .
http://flyfishohio.com/LIthuanian%20Bat.htm

Barr's Meat whistle is also a good one

MeatWhistleBarrRust.jpg

I did not think of HD for that, thanks. I did not think outside the find them at the drug store box. :-(

lv2nymph, I like that fly. Looks like flash, rubber legs and the rabbit for the most part? You also reminded me that I forgot to mention the rattles I used in my flies above...completely forgot to mention em.

Fred, I've heard good things about the meat whistle too. Should probably tie a few up

As for the Lithuanian Bat...well its called the lithuanian bat. Automatic winner in my book.

Thanks,you are on the money with the mat. J.

Here ya go Jay

http://www.warmfly.com/smf/index.php?topic=460.msg3335#msg3335

check out dan blanton's site. he's been advocating jig hooks for a few years now and has some nice patterns. Mostly big saltwater stuff.

You're alright Fredrick.... :)

I tie a lot of tungsten attractor jig flies for anchors when nymphing deeper water. They work pretty well.

Here's some I did last year.
jig.jpg

Damn those look good dub.

Never even thought of using jig hooks in nymph sizes...makes perfect sense tho.

Thanks. It really works well since they are so heavily weighted with the big tunsten bead. Riding hook up reduces snags big time.

Fished these all early season till drake (beeber2) time,

Attachments

• rainbow hares ear 001.jpg
    rainbow hares ear 001.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 5
  • rainbow hares ear 018.jpg
    rainbow hares ear 018.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 4-29-2011 020.jpg
    4-29-2011 020.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 4-29-2011 017.jpg
    4-29-2011 017.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 4-29-2011 018.jpg
    4-29-2011 018.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 4
nice bugs Sandfly!

Dub, some of those flies look like they're plugged in, what's the body mat? Look like mean go getters.
I like those ties as well Sandfly...

Dub,
I like these this time of year, missing a few yellow, tangerine,etc.

Attachments

• DSCF3049.JPG
    DSCF3049.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF3050.JPG
    DSCF3050.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 6
lv2nymph wrote:
Dub, some of those flies look like they're plugged in, what's the body mat? Look like mean go getters.
I like those ties as well Sandfly...

Thanks. That's the beauty of tungsten on a jig hook. They stand straight up like that. that pic was just taken with the flies sitting on a white sheet of paper folded up towards the back of it.

They were on size 14 or 16(cant remember anymore) Dohiku barbless jig hooks. Body material is Fly D&K UV Quill, UTC ultra wire, Go-Brite floss, hends body quill, pheasant tail fibers, and even some dubbing. They were all dubbed with Jan Siman synthetic peacock dubbing on the thorax. It's all stuff available at www.performanceflies.com. Tail material is either Coq de Leon or PT fibers. I like the CDL better because it matches the thin profile of the fly. This also makes it sink faster.

I'd like to go back and make some more now because I found some UV quill product that's even thinner in diameter than the Fly D&K stuff.

Sandfly - amazing. I wish I had the attention span to tie that many jig flies.

Back