Jacket Recommendations???

a10loadtoad

a10loadtoad

I am in the market right now for a new waterproof jacket. I have been looking at the Simms G3, Patagonia SST and Orvis Tailwaters. I want something that will hold up in extremely wet conditions and will keep me nice and dry. Any recommendations, preferences or problems with these or other jackets that I haven't listed would be appreciated.

give three choices and you'll get three answers
my recommendation is the patagucci - mines going on 6 years which i got as a replacement when i sent in my previous one that was 5 years old - not bad for $300 and some change

G3 has too many gadgets, if you wear a vest may not be functional, hip packs then the pockets and zingers may get used- I had the G3 waders for 4 months and they leaked (not typical) - my opinion just a little too expenisve. they are quality products but you are paying for the gadgets that if not used then you are paying too much.

Orivs - nothing ever fits me right from them and i really don't think their stuff is all that breathable - did the hike in to the third meadows of slough and sweated my butt off on orvis waders - no problems in patagonia

All good - patagonia will garauntee your purchase for life
i can say from experience simms and orvis may not

maybe you should consider LL bean as well - they have a pretty cool jacket for under $300 (I think). its the blue one. only problem is they don't have it in the stores so you'll have to order it to try it on. They too will garauntee for life.

Good luck.

I was looking at the L.L. Bean jacket online and I noticed it in the Fly Fish America Gear Guide. I have yet to see it in a Bean store(the one in Center Valley, PA or the on on Rt 73 in Jersey). I would really like to try it on and see how it fits before I buy it. I guess I could always order it and send it back if I don't like it.

I wore an LL Bean Gortex jacket for years and was happy with it. I finally needed (wanted) a new one and “upgraded” to a Simms that I found on sale. I found that liked the LL Bean more. On my way back from a trip to Maine this summer I stopped at LL Bean store and purchased another jacket Goretex jacket. Also the LL Bean jackets are cheaper than some of the others you mentioned

One piece of advise I will give on raingear. I prefer to buy light-weight packable raingear and use it as an outer shell. If the jacket is lightweight it will be comfortable in warm weather or cold weather with layered clothing underneath. Also a lightweight jacket can be easily carried with you in your vest or pack. Good luck.

One piece of advise I will give on raingear. I prefer to buy light-weight packable raingear and use it as an outer shell. If the jacket is lightweight it will be comfortable in warm weather or cold weather with layered clothing underneath. Also a lightweight jacket can be easily carried with you in your vest or pack. Good luck.

This is great advice, I went the lightweight stlye and I've always dress in layers in the colder months anyway. It's also the cheap route, spent $25 on my wading jacket and it's kept me dry everytime in a downpour. I have a hard time justifing a $200+ jacket that will be worn a couple times a year.I don't use mine as an overcoat, but under my vest.

JH

PS.. I work at one of the big box stores and got a $60 jacket on clearence with a discount on top of that.

I have THIS Cabela's jacket and I really like it...I have used it in the rain at the beach and stayed cool and used it in Erie and stayed warm. I can't think of anything it doesn't have and it is packable. I haven't seen anything comparable for less than 100...

I have one like the one Tom mentioned; mine is gander mt. and was $65 on sale. It does its job fairly well by keeping the rain and wind off me.

But if you have/want to spend $300 -- $400 on a jacket, go for it. I was always fond of the simms, but could never bring myself to drop 4 bones for it.

Bean's "Stoaway" raingear. Folds up real small. Good stuff.

let me ask you this.....i love bean. i own all types of bean products. but i have reservations about the bean wading jackets. i have been over to the marlton store to check out their wading jackets but i believe their cuffs might crack or split over the next year by not being neoprene. i know that i can always send it back if it does. what do you guys think??

mark

skiltonian

that blue bean jacket looks freaking sweet! i believe it might be a little long.

mark

Here's another vote for the Cabellas jacket. Works well and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I have Patagonia SST stretch jacket. I like it because it is a shorter jacket so it stays above the depth of the water and does not get wet. Never had a problem with any other there products. Price is the big drawback.

Patagonia deep water wading jacket

Here is the jacket I use...........and it is seriously on sale!!!

1 0 5 dollars..................what a steal

wish I would have found mine that cheap!!!

here is a link:

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/Patagonia-Deep-Water-Jacket-Closeout-Sale-Free-Shipping-P1184C0.aspx?UserID=3365427&SessionID=Nfs1TnVNzuThXvgcL06X

Cabelas backcountry...Bought it about a year ago to use shad fishing down by the conowingo dam. It worked good there, used it over the summer in the rain...I didn't get too hot,Used it on the boat on Ontario..worked good as a windbreaker there...Also it's nice and light, only problem is all the weight from the extra money I saved.

Thats a good price...I paid the 69 for mine...and what will probably happen is they will "improve" the product and it'll never be as good again...I'm glad I got my waders when I did. They "upgraded" them and I would have not purchased the newer version...

I can't stress how fast this stuff sells.
Matter of fact, I don't need a jacked, but almost can't pass up the price.

I've got to agree with afishinado. Light weight and waterproof are the way to go. Pack your jacket when needed and layer and it's one jacket perfect for any time of the year.

With that said, if you're thinking of heavy jackets, any softshell will be perfect. Unless you're looking for a hooded jacket. Orvis had softshells on sale and a few other jackets I think. Their stuff, especially on sale is always worth at least a look. LL Bean's are priced well too. Of course I'm sure you can find some lesser priced stuff that will also do fine. I got a great deal on a Cloudveil lightweight jacket last year on Sierra Trading Post.

A few things to think about fishing designed jackets is that they've got better pockets, some with handwarmers and some have neoprene cuffs too.

Let us know what you're thinking about once you've narrowed before you order. Maybe you can get info about a specific model.

Back