It's Time for a New Pack

PABigFishHunter

PABigFishHunter

Who can help me out with fishing pack suggestions? I'm thinking about one that goes around the waist but am also intrigued by the sling style. What I have now is way too bulky. I typically carry three medium fly boxes and the expected accessories.

Looked at the Umpqua ZS2 Ledges 650 and the Fishpond Gunnison Guide Pack. I appreciate any help you can provide.

I'd go with the Umpqua. Sling packs are a pain in the ***, you have to reach back and bring them to you chest to gain access and then push it back out of the way. Waist pack much easier to deal with.

I just switched from a small backpack to the Orvis Safe passage Sling, standard size. It has a ton of room, and I like it a lot so far. I carry about the same for fly boxes, and there is plenty of room to spare.

https://www.orvis.com/p/safe-passage-sling-pack/14zf

I bought a Umpqua 1200 steamboat sling pack. They have a smaller one also. The 1200 sling pack is great I love it. I can fit all the stuff I want in it. I find it easy to work with. Beleave me over 40 years of FF, I have had all the different style vests, hip packs, chest packs. Right now I'd never go back. Look online for sling pack reviews.Tight lines.

I started with a Fishpond summit sling and is a nice pack but did not care for the stabilizer strap and the fact it has to be swung over the right shoulder. I have since upgraded to the Fishpond Flathead sling and is much more suited to what i like. It is ambidextrous so the strap can be adjusted to wear on either side. Has a nice large compartment and 2 bottle holders which will be most useful in cold weather for a water and a thermos of coffee.

I use the orvis sling and love it. I switch out to a smaller pack on Class A though

Thanks for the feedback friends. This is very helpful.

People really seem to like the swing packs, so there's something to them, but I'd highly suggest taking a moment at the shop to load one up and try it out.

I've used the Orvis Safe Passage for two seasons now and the second was only due to not being the type to waste a hundred dollar bag. Just haven't been able to find a setup that is easy to swing to the chest for mid-stream changes. The less bulk - clothing, jackets, waders, net, etc - the easier. Those things just tend to also be kind of important much of the time.

Not trying to change your mind but i used sling packs forever.
Imo the Orvis Guide sling packs were real nice

As i got older i need the weight off me or more distribution.
I invested in a really nice and comfortable vest.
I love it.

I been using the Fishpond Delta Sling for a few years now. It's awesome! I carry 3 medium fly boxes, a snack, water bottle, miscellaneous fly stuff, and a rain jacket sometimes. It has a built in net holder! The pack is starting to get pretty beat up. She has some serious miles on her. So I've been looking at some Vevadoo slings. Made in the USA!

I've been using a Simms sling pack for years. I would never go back to a vest, chestbox, or a waist pack. I wade too deep for waist pack, a chestbox don't allow me to see my feet if I need to and a pain to take off, and a vest is too hot, bulky and uncomfortable on my shoulders.

I would not reccomend the new Simms sling pack. It's ambidextrous and like anything that is designed as a "do-it-all" it does nothing well. The main zipper goes the whole way around the pack and if you open it too far your contents fall out. It's a stupid design. I'd recommend the Fishpond Summit Sling.

I have 2 Vedavoo sling packs that I really like.

Vaughn wrote:
I have 2 Vedavoo sling packs that I really like.

Have you ever worn both at the same time?

I've been using sling packs for more than 10 years now. I have an Orvis Guide sling and wouldn't trade it for anything else. But there are a lot of sling packs out there that may suit your specific wants and needs. I suggest you do your due diligence and check them out.

Not an endorsement, just my preference but I switched to the Patagonia Vest Front sling. It’s been great and you get a little bit of both worlds. The pack part that is behind you has plenty of room for everything you want to carry plus a water bottle carrier and waterproof pocket for phones or camera or whatever. The part that slings over your shoulder has a few adequate pockets that allow you to carry your most used boxes or accessories without having swing the pack around to dig into the rear section. Also has a lot of anchor points for your net and zingers. Let us know what you decide on. Plenty of great options.

Back