It's not my fault, I'm the victim here!

Tell her that you are actually a crazy person and the days you are fishing are your mental health day. So it will either be a long list of medications or a few more days on the water.

Good comments coming across. We all agree that fly fishing is good for the soul. It's comical to think of all the variables that must be accounted for (ignoring dumb luck) if we want to catch fish. Enjoying nature is wonderful but having the chance to catch something is a double bonus. It's why we are there, even better if we share the experience with others. It is said that a man can stand in a stream all day waiting for a fish to bite but can't wait ten minutes for his wife.

It's about optimism. Fly fishing is about hope. John Buchan wrote "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive, but attainable, a perpetual series of opportunities for hope." Life is more exciting when we have something to look forward to. The Casting For Recovery folks know the value of hope. I'll close with Andy's words to Red in the Shawshank Redemption, "Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

Back