ISO a Small Stream Partner

jeffroey

I usually do all of my small stream fishing alone but I'm interested in fishing a brookie stream in the SGL 013 // Ricketts Glen // SGL 057 area that better judgement tells me I ought to be looking for a partner to leap frog this one.

Key characteristics to help paint the picture has this one looking like a 6+ mile day, about 1,000 feet of elevation change top to bottom, a stream gradient around 7-10 pct over its steepest 1/4 mile, and not a lot of opportunity to bug out early between the bottom and the top. No established streamside trail documented that I can find and since I havent fished it before, it could turn out to be a dud. Pretty much right in my wheelhouse but because I'm expecting a few challenging water crossings, this one has me seeking out a well-known member that might be interested in joining up. Worst case, it should be a great hike regardless of the fishing.

I'll probably attack it on a weekday with an 8' 3WT sometime before October 5th. I'll plan on starting the hike in around 7:00 am, packing a lunch and getting back to the truck late afternoon.

If this type of thing interest you, drop me a PM.

I just use a standard Adams parachute, size 12 for my ISO imitation. 😜 And I agree, they’re a great small stream fly.

I’m sure I know of and have likely fished the stream you’re considering, and no matter which one it is specifically, fishing it with a buddy is probably a good idea. Between work and 2 under 2 at home, my fishing is few and far between at the moment.

Jeffroey - Did you ever make the hike in ....?
I did. Made arrangements to meet a forum member but something unforseen prevented us from getting together. Decided to fish it alone and was happy I did.

Water was flowing on the low side and made navigating the stream and bank very manageable the day I hit it. I did confirm that the specific concerns that prompted me to reach out and look for a partner in the first place would absolutely be factors had the water been on the high side. For most of the stream length, there wouldn't be any opportunity walk on the bank. The gorge was just too steep.

This one clocked in at 7-1/2 miles, 900 feet of elevation change. A few 1/8 and 1/4 mile sections both up and down that the gradient was +/- 30 pct.

A 2 car plan would've dropped the distance down to about 4 miles. I really take my time when I'm hiking these alone but this day took me 9 hours top to bottom to top.

20241003_161515.jpg20241003_113244.jpg20241003_151040.jpg20241003_103550.jpg20241003_115727.jpg20241003_155704.jpg20241003_153906.jpg

Last edited:
Back