Is this for reel, i mean real?

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

I have a Sage 505 and 507 from back in the day. The two of them together didn't cost me what this one does and apparently the old ones have increased in value.

Maybe I should just sell mine and buy a cabin and retire?

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Reactions: Kms
Dear Board,

I have a Sage 505 and 507 from back in the day. The two of them together didn't cost me what this one does and apparently the old ones have increased in value.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

The first time I went to England in the 1970’s, I bought a couple Hardy Lightweight fly reels while I was there for $25 and $30 each. Hardy Lightweight reels are similar to your Sage reels, and new ones sell for the same price as those new Sage reels do today.

Around the same time as you and I were investing our hard earned funds in those fly reels, there was a large tract of undeveloped land bordering Penns Creek that went on the market for $100 per acre. If we had had the foresight to buy that land then rather than fly reels, we could have later sold a small portion of it, built a cabin, retired, and still had enough money (and land) left over to buy just about anything we wanted.

P. S. However, as living proof of the Pennsylvania Dutch adage that “we grow too soon old and too late smart” I bought 4 Abel SDF fly reels a short time ago. I’m much older now, and obviously too late smart. 😊

Dear Board,

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Please PM me if you find any cabins for sale for $850 bucks as I have a bunch of reels I could sell to finance a purchase.

I promise I won't pi$$ you off and buy one next door if you sell your reels. 😉

The first time I went to England in the 1970’s, I bought a couple Hardy Lightweight fly reels while I was there for $25 and $30 each. Hardy Lightweight reels are similar to your Sage reels, and new ones sell for the same price as those new Sage reels do today.

Around the same time as you and I were investing our hard earned funds in those fly reels, there was a large tract of undeveloped land bordering Penns Creek that went on the market for $100 per acre. If we had had the foresight to buy that land then rather than fly reels, we could have later sold a small portion of it, built a cabin, retired, and still had enough money (and land) left over to buy just about anything we wanted.

P. S. However, as living proof of the Pennsylvania Dutch adage that “we grow too soon old and too late smart” I bought 4 Abel SDF fly reels a short time ago. I’m much older now, and obviously too late smart. 😊
Dear mt_flyfisher,

Yeah, we missed the boat there on the land along Penns. I could have scraped together enough to 2 or 3 acres back then but that would have been my limit. Cash flow was limited with a paper route and side jobs mowing lawns and waxing cars, but I always had a couple of bucks as a teenager. 😉

Fast forward to 2002. The Canadian dollar was worth about half a USD. Someone told me about WW Doaks fly shop in New Brunswick. I paid USD's for a Hardy Flyweight, Featherweight, LRH, and a St. George or maybe St. Aidan. I forget which it was, but it was a 7-weight reel. I paid about $ 600.00 USD total for all 4 shipped to me in PA.

Unfortunately, I lost that well-paying job that gave me the ability to buy them before I even spooled them up and used them. I did sell all four for about $ 1100.00 which covered a mortgage payment when I was out of work, so it was all good.

I wish I could find some of those old Hardy's for reasonable prices today!

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

...I wish I could find some of those old Hardy's for reasonable prices today!

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂
Tim:

Did you ever buy reels through Harris Sportsmail in the UK before Hardy put manners on them for discounting reels to US buyers for crazy low prices??

When Brexit happened and the exchange rate was extremely good, I couldn't buy reels fast enough and still keep them hidden from my wife. 😉

However, you might have been lucky selling your newer Hardy reels for a profit and it may never happen again for another reason...

Hardy moved reel production to Korea around 2007. Before then, the UK built "Lightweight Series" reels (Flyweight, Featherweight, LRH, Princess, St. Aiden) and the Bougle were reasonably priced and the quality was excellent, especially the reels manufactured just before the move because of CNC machining and anodized finishes.

However what Hardy did AFTER the move was drop prices SLIGHTLY on the Korean made classic reels (Lightweight Series and the Bougle) and massively INCREASE the prices on the few remaining UK built reels (Perfect, Cascapedia, St. George).

When that happened, people were on the hunt for PRE-Korean Hardy classic reels so anybody with reels from the early 2000's could easily sell them for a fast profit.

The problem now is, when Hardy brought the classic reel production back to the UK about 20 years ago, they started constantly reintroducing the classic models and making special editions. So if you bought a new LRH for $300 bucks in 2013 thinking it would appreciate in value, you'll be lucky to get even that because there have been at least four versions introduced since...

A couple examples:

The Cascapedia was re-introduced in 2004 as the Cascapedia Mk II. It was still being made in the UK when Hardy INITIALLY moved production to Korea with a price tag of $800+. Later they re-re introduced it as the Cascapedia Mk III, made in Korea and selling for consideably less money.​
About 4 years ago I bought a NIB 2004 vintage UK built Cascapedia Mk II's for $300...​
The 150th Anniversay Lightweight reels were introduced in 2022 for close to $500. Recently they are popping up at 20% - 40% off that price because Hardy re-re-introced a new version Lightweight Series last year...​
I know at least three people who snapped up NIB 150th Anniversary LRH's & Featherweights for $250...​

Bottom line, Hardy is making money but anybody buying some of their newest pricey reels as an investment will be taking a bath...

Last edited:
Tim:

Did you ever buy reels through Harris Sportsmail in the UK before Hardy put manners on them for discounting reels to US buyers for crazy low prices??

When Brexit happened and the exchange rate was extremely good, I couldn't buy reels fast enough and still keep them hidden from my wife. 😉

However, you might have been lucky selling your newer Hardy reels for a profit and it may never happen again for another reason...

Hardy moved reel production to Korea around 2007. Before then, the UK built "Lightweight Series" reels (Flyweight, Featherweight, LRH, Princess, St. Aiden) and the Bougle were reasonably priced and the quality was excellent, especially the reels manufactured just before the move because of CNC machining and anodized finishes.

However what Hardy did AFTER the move was drop prices SLIGHTLY on the Korean made classic reels (Lightweight Series and the Bougle) and massively INCREASE the prices on the few remaining UK built reels (Perfect, Cascapedia, St. George).

When that happened, people were on the hunt for PRE-Korean Hardy classic reels so anybody with reels from the early 2000's could easily sell them for a fast profit.

The problem now is, when Hardy brought the classic reel production back to the UK about 20 years ago, they started constantly reintroducing the classic models and making special editions. So if you bought a new LRH for $300 bucks in 2013 thinking it would appreciate in value, you'll be lucky to get even that because there have been at least four versions introduced since...

A couple examples:

The Cascapedia was re-introduced in 2004 as the Cascapedia Mk II. It was still being made in the UK when Hardy INITIALLY moved production to Korea with a price tag of $800+. Later they re-re introduced it as the Cascapedia Mk III, made in Korea and selling for consideably less money.​
About 4 years ago I bought a NIB 2004 vintage UK built Cascapedia Mk II's for $300...​
The 150th Anniversay Lightweight reels were introduced in 2022 for close to $500. Recently they are popping up at 20% - 40% off that price because Hardy re-re-introced a new version Lightweight Series last year...​
I know at least three people who snapped up NIB 150th Anniversary LRH's & Featherweights for $250...​

Bottom line, Hardy is making money but anybody buying some of their newest pricey reels as an investment will be taking a bath...
Dear Bamboozle,

Thanks for the backstory on the Hardy Lightweight reels. I still have a Flyweight in near mint condition that I bought for my Sage 279LL in the late 1980's early 1990's that I will never part with.

I have a buddy who gave $ 50.00 for a poorly working but cosmetically clean Hardy LRH Multiplier over 30 years ago about the same time I bought my Flyweight. He sent it to Bill Archuleta and for another $ 75.00 he received a perfectly working reel and enough spare parts to keep it going into the next century, and by that, I mean the year 2300 and beyond.

It is the sweetest 5 weight fly reel I have even seen, and I have lusted after one ever since. They come available from time to time, but most are in far worse condition than my buddies reel was prior to repair, and they are asking 6 to 10 times what he paid for his.

One day I'll find one!

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

I'm still very young in fly fishing. I just want to share my impression as a beginner.
For me in general, the pricing of FF reels is beyond comprehension. Unlike rod blanks.
I have about 20 surf shimano/daiwa reels, in size 5500 and 14000 on shimano. Which I constantly used for carpfishing and feeder fishing competitions. Well and in amateur outings. The cost per unit 220-600 dollars. In these reels I understand. I know their schemes, advantages, behavior and so on. I've done maintenance on them myself every season so I don't go broke on it.
In my mind a reel is more of a consumable than an investment.

FF coil manufacturers don't publish schematics. They're simple, of course. But still. The only schematic I found was on a Shimano Asquith.
Not all 200-300 dollar reels have ball bearings. Personally, I wouldn't have the heart to buy one of those reels.
I'll spoiler the schematic of the surf reel power aero for 400 dollars, a great workhorse. And Asquith. just to understand the difference in design and parts count. Although the Asquith is still thoughtfully made compared to what I've seen on other FF reels.

2024-08-24_225350.jpg

2024-08-25_160344.jpg

In my opinion, the cost of the top FF reels is a payment for aesthetics, label and probably a piece of memories.
I don't understand the cost of 300-400 dollars on eBay for an old frazzled reel like Hardy, which is 20 years old.
Is it bought for collection or to really catch?

I don't want to offend anyone with my post, just a beginner's view from the outside. I'm getting into this subject and I like it. I like the look of many of the top of the line reels very much. But I can't rearrange my train of thought that I'm buying “looks” and not construction.
And that probably applies more to light weights, as in the territory of really big fish in saltwater, real reliability is needed. But that's where I'm more envisioning surf reels.....

Dear IlyaP

I'm in my mid-60's age wise, so of course memories mean something to me. I've paid $ 200.00 for reels and rods that I wanted when I was much younger but didn't have the money to afford at the time when they sold for less money. If that makes me foolish then you can add it to list of all things I do that make me foolish and I won't care, for the list is long. 😉

Being my age, I'll admit that I enjoy older gear and older technology. If it worked 50 or 60 years ago and was properly maintained there is no reason why it can't work today. To put things in perspective and venture outside of fly fishing, the former world record striped bass was caught by some dude on a jetty in Atlantic City NJ, fishing with a Penn 710 "Greenie." I'll bet a half million dollars' worth of Van Stall reels were bought in the quest to break the record set by a dude with a $ 25.00 reel back in the day. Penn reels simply worked. There are thousands of them still working today.

For certain, gear improves over time. But the improvements are incremental at best, and the cost to value ratio of those small improvements make the investments in most new gear about bragging rights and nothing else.

I routinely fish with fly rods and reels that are older than I am. Do they still work, absolutely they do. Are they cool that depends on your perspective.

I'll just stay with the old and try to stay out of the way of the young.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Dear Team Murphy,

I was in no way evaluating your choices or views.
I was describing it from my beginner's perspective.
I look at new reels and old ones. And I don't understand why I should buy the old ones and why they cost so much.
In my other hobby, I often buy second hand stuff because it's cheaper. Either there is no new one at all or the new one is inferior in quality..
But when the cost is comparable, it makes sense to buy new.
These are matters of my choice.. I am by no means anyone else. 🙂

Regards,
Ilya

Dear Illya,

I wasn't trying to say you were wrong in your views or buying habits either. I was just trying to make conversation.

Anyone can do all of their trout fishing in Pennsylvania with a used $ 40.00 reel. The reel won't be the difference in landing the fish.

I'll buy new when it makes sense for me. But I'll buy used more often than not because it is a better deal to me, and because I simply cannot just dispose of something that still works well.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Back