Is the hair craze over?

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

Seems to me that getting Whiting 100's has become a bit easier again. Is anyone else noticing that or am I just imaging it.

It's done.

Do not expect a radical price decline for two reasons. First, fad didn't last long enought for producer to dramatically increasing output (greater supply, coupled with lower demand = lower price). Second, stores have seen tiers pay higher prices (prices are easy up, sticky down).

what a heap of dung! the tyers that paid more should be drug behind a truck down a real rocky road. should have waited it out.wheres the reson for keeping prices high, Henry Hoffman, And metz st the bar for hackle, not the only breeders of course, but they were the market leaders, aside from a few more genetically altered chickens.wheres the reason for rasing anraising an raising prices?
We should all stock up on elk hair,cdc,deerhair,snowshow rabbit feet,and put a squeeze to this.Yea the fad is more or less over but were the ones that are gonna pay for the outrageousness.
So glad id managed to hoard materials for the first 15 years i flyfished,its gonna be harder on folks that would like to learn or are just starting to tie flies.

I agree. I only have 4 packs but they will last me longer than I will be alive because I only tie a few patterns with hackle. I tie Griffith's Gnats, Ants and Caddis flies. I looked online at a vendor a buy from and a year ago almost everything showed out of stock. This year he has almost half the sizes and colors but to someone's point they are now $22 instead of the $18 they used to be.

How about if we get a swap going. I have size 18 grizzly and I'd be willing to send a couple strands to someone, for maybe a couple of 20's or 22's. I could use some 18 black too. I think I also have 20 and 22 brown and 18 or 20 dun. PM me if you'd like to work a trade.

Fox

Check around $18 is still the going rate at a lot of places
retail prices are set by the shops... not whiting

i have some 20 and 22 grizzlys
$5 per

I believe he meant "strand" and hopefully he was joking because as the OP on this thread I would ask those who want to make unfair profits off their fellow PAFF members, please create their own thread. If someone is interested in 1 for 1 trade to the mutual benefit of both of us, please simply PM me.

Thanks
Fox

Lonewolve wrote:
what a heap of dung! the tyers that paid more should be drug behind a truck down a real rocky road. should have waited it out.wheres the reson for keeping prices high, Henry Hoffman, And metz st the bar for hackle, not the only breeders of course, but they were the market leaders, aside from a few more genetically altered chickens.wheres the reason for rasing anraising an raising prices?
We should all stock up on elk hair,cdc,deerhair,snowshow rabbit feet,and put a squeeze to this.Yea the fad is more or less over but were the ones that are gonna pay for the outrageousness.
So glad id managed to hoard materials for the first 15 years i flyfished,its gonna be harder on folks that would like to learn or are just starting to tie flies.

I dont think your observations on the whole situation are very accurate.

1) It wasnt the tiers that drove the prices through the roof, it was the salons and their customers who were paying the super high prices.

2) The prices have come back to their original retail prices. The saddles I sold nine months ago for $900.00 to $1000.00 each on ebay, can now be replaced for around $50.00.

3) Hoffman has been out of the hackle buisness for many many years.

4) The breeders (mainly Whiting) did not raise their prices. It was the retailers and people that had extra hackle that made the big profits. There was not enough hackle (long saddle) to meet the demand, so people (salons) were willing to pay crazy amounts for the hackle that they could find.

Good luck, Tony

All I can say is, I'm gratefull it was short lived.

i got a lot of free hackle cutting it out of people's hair,so i wish it was still going on.

the trend ended abruptly when"old dude" steven tyler appeared on magazine covers with it and some silly TV show.most teenage girls don't want the same hair as an old dude,haha

Benny saw this and looked at me and said, "Don't even think about it dude!" :)

http://magazine.foxnews.com/style-beauty/dog-feathers-cool-or-crazy

Fishidiot wrote:
Benny saw this and looked at me and said, "Don't even think about it dude!" :)

http://magazine.foxnews.com/style-beauty/dog-feathers-cool-or-crazy

That dog even looks embarrassed.

had a girl in tonight who had payed a dollar a strand for flashabou.

Local Walgreens had some on the shelves,$6 a shot. Another missed opportunity .LOL GG

Evidently the trend for the "dressers" is over but not some of the rooster hackle growers. I got a qoute on a .oz of loose rooster saddle (not even griz) . He wanted $250 a oz. At that price I'd like to get kissed first!

Back