Is Angler Transport a Significant Contributor to the Spread of Didymo?

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Latest that I read:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110603161819.htm

Nice find GG. Leads one to hypothesize why didymo doesn't spread like wildfire to other streams in the area. And likely no need to force non-felt boots on the public.

afishinado wrote:
JackM wrote:
Yes:
And also tweed

Jack,

You're the only one I know that could even make a leopard-skin pill-box hat work for them. :oops:

Tom, those are Orvis products. Can you get me a discount? I don't think Orvis carries the Leopard-skin, Pill-box hat anymore, though. The leopard is endangered, and Orvis is socially responsible.

He opened the last tour often with it:

Yes, that's Mark Knoffler of Dire Straits.

This copy was vetted by biologists at the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission so I tend to think it is absolutely true. Dry your gear! Diatoms are microscopic algae that easily spread. Didymosphenia geminata (Didymo) has been spreading in the Delaware River watershed, creating thick mats in streams and smothering aquatic plants and small aquatic insects, reducing fish habitat and food sources. Unfortunately, the primary carriers of Didymo include fishing equipment, waders, boats, and just about anything else that has come in contact with Didymo-infected water.

I'm a felt fan. I've never had rubber that came anywhere near felt on slimy stream rocks, but I've had rubber that is a fair bit worse.

As far as longevity, typically the boot wears out before my felt does.

I do agree felt is inferior on mud and snow. Both are fairly rare for me to encounter while trout fishing.

That said, yes, I do certainly think it's possible for felt to transfer invasives. I have 2 pairs of felt to rotate, and lately my fishing has been more quality than quantity. If a single pair of boots sees two different streams within about a month of each other, I do the clorox thing in between. That hasn't happened since July. Return trips to the same stream, and boot rotation when I don't, have kept me from having to do it too often.

The easier answer for me is freezing. It kills didymo and is easier, better for the boots than a clorox soak. But it's didymo specific, it may not prevent transfer of other things. And while easy, I'm not sure my wife will approve of wading boots in the freezer!

The main reason for these companies switching to rubber sole boots is prevention. When the big didymo scare came out, not much research was done to indicate exactly how and where it is being transferred. But with it showing up in, I'll call it, random places they look to what could transfer it to these places. Even with the new rubber sole boots, it is not a cure. Didymo is still able to survive in any of the cloth bearing areas on our boots such as the shoelaces.

There are many recommended ways to clean them but I am not a fan of clorox bathes. In maryland on the Casselman River a landowner takes care of wash stations that consist of a salt bath with is also reportedly able to eliminate didymo from our gear.

Or the foam on the bottom of their boots, or their boots, or if they wet wade their clothes. There's no scientific proof that I'm aware of. My guess is it's spreading as much by natural causes as anything.

I know I've posted this in the past, and I'll probably post it again. If "natural" causes are spreading didymo, how exactly does it manage to jump to the tailwaters in arkansas and tennessee without hitting the lesser known tailwaters in between first?

Didymo_distribution.gif

The pattern has been pretty clear - first didymo appears in the nationally-known trout tailwaters and then jumps into lesser known local tailwaters. Once the Upper D got it, it shows up in the gunpowder, the savage, etc. soon afterwards. This happens because anglers that don't clean their gear are the ones transporting the stuff.

If wildlife were spreading it, it wouldn't spread into the most popular tailwaters first - the ones anglers travel the farthest to fish. Don't fool yourself into thinking anglers aren't the primary vector for spreading didymo. The pattern is obvious.

Back