IRELAND

S

steve98

Going to be in Ireland early May 2024. Dublin Galway Belfast Killybegs
Would like to get a guide for a day.
Any suggestions? I know information is vague.
I will be on a cruise ship with ports of call that last all day.

TY
Steve98

Hey Steve, I live in SW PA I'm originally from SE Ireland and have been spending summers in Ireland since 2020 in county Wexford. what do you plan on fishing for? Trout or Salmon?

I can help with a little info in the South East, will be difficult enough to get out of Dublin for a day IMHO. Im going away this weekend but would be glad to chat sometime and I can put you in touch with a Guide (Ghillie) in the southeast and give some links to fishing in Ireland.

In Belfast (Northern Ireland) a state licence is required for trout and Salmon. In both Southern and Northern waters a permit from various clubs and associations is generally required for better trout @ salmon fishing)

As a side note for the first time ever they closed the river Moy in June this year (a famous river in the west for Salmon) as May and June were exceptionally hot and dry. July however made up for that :)

Anyways Ill help anyway I can, getting ready for Steelhead now and my fist ever trip to the Salmon river in NY at the end of the month. :)

Slán leat,
John

Just a note, Datus Proper was on the embassy staff in Ireland and wrote of the trout there. Check out "What the Trout Said" - there are sections on his dry fy and spinner fishing - he tortured over the best "orange spinner" for dusk on the Blackheath(if I emember the name correctly). Maybe, he wrote an article for Fly Fisherman Mag - that I am not aware of...

George McGrath, who runs the YouTube channel Gundog & Fly, is a guide on the River Suir.

I have no answer to your question, but I can say that a few years ago I visited Ireland and after seeing some streams and the fish in them, I regretted not planning to fish. I was eating my heart out. Go for it!

I also went on vacation to Ireland with my wife - with no plans to fish.
And felt the same angst as nymphingmaniac.

During the obligatory visit to Blarney Castle, we had to walk over a bridge that crossed a small stream on the castle grounds.
And saw some nice looking browns rising to caddis in the pool under the bridge.
I saw no signs saying you couldn't fish there. And would guess that you might be able to do it with a paid admission to the grounds. The castle is in ruins and pretty much a yawn IMO
Would have much rather fished.

Also saw lots of fish rising in lake by a huge abbey - whose name escapes me now - in Connemara

Since that trip, I've thought how nice it would be to go back on a fishing trip.
And hit the singing pubs in the evening.

Good luck in your fishing quest!

Hey Steve, I live in SW PA I'm originally from SE Ireland and have been spending summers in Ireland since 2020 in county Wexford. what do you plan on fishing for? Trout or Salmon?

I can help with a little info in the South East, will be difficult enough to get out of Dublin for a day IMHO. Im going away this weekend but would be glad to chat sometime and I can put you in touch with a Guide (Ghillie) in the southeast and give some links to fishing in Ireland.

In Belfast (Northern Ireland) a state licence is required for trout and Salmon. In both Southern and Northern waters a permit from various clubs and associations is generally required for better trout @ salmon fishing)

As a side note for the first time ever they closed the river Moy in June this year (a famous river in the west for Salmon) as May and June were exceptionally hot and dry. July however made up for that :)

Anyways Ill help anyway I can, getting ready for Steelhead now and my fist ever trip to the Salmon river in NY at the end of the month. :)

Slán leat,
John
I am looking to fish for Brown Trout in one of those limestoners. Most likely when my ship docks in Galway

Steve, most of the limestone rivers in Ireland are in the midlands (the river Suir being one the best IMHO). To the best of my knowledge the west of Ireland consists of mostly spate rivers. Not sure how you feel about lake fishing? but close to Galway is Lough Corrib which has some large brown trout. The river Corrib that flows from the lake through Galway City has a run of Salmon and small sea trout (Im sure some small brown also but never fished it) Be aware Salmon returns have declined dramatically across Ireland in the last decade.

Back