IR-Pocket thermometer - 20 bucks

Bruno

Bruno

I was buying a BBQ thermometer and saw this. I am a big fan of this company and their products. Thought this may be a good addition to my flyfishing kit.

https://www.thermoworks.com/IR-Pocket-20

Cool gadget. I'm pretty sure I would lose something that small.

I have a postol-style IR thermometer. It's bulky, but it works well. Thanks to COVID-19 availability and prices are all out of whack, like many other things.

Bruno, thats awesome, I had a william and joseph one that got dunked a month ago. I've been looking to replace it looks like you solved my problem, thanks!

I had a william and joseph one that got dunked a month ago. I've been looking to replace it looks like you solved my problem, thanks!

I had one also. It didn't have a replaceable battery and died after a couple of years. It was to expensive to replace on a regular basis.

This one is half cost and has replaceable batteries. I just ordered one.

Thanks for the tip, Bruno.

We used something similar to temp environmental samples in the lab. Had to regularly calibrate them and they proved to be quite accurate.

FYI, just purchased this item, its now only 19.99 including flat rate shipping because they are having a sale. Thanks

One issue I see with using an IR thermometer is that you will only be taking the temp on the surface. I personally like to know what the temperature is throughout the water column. I have seen temps differ by more than 5 degrees in 3 feet of water obviously depending on how swift the currents are. I normally take my water temps 1' below the surface of the top of the water. Seems most actively feeding fish for dry flies are usually around that depth. Obviously not all of the time though.

mattwolf wrote:
One issue I see with using an IR thermometer is that you will only be taking the temp on the surface. I personally like to know what the temperature is throughout the water column. I have seen temps differ by more than 5 degrees in 3 feet of water obviously depending on how swift the currents are. I normally take my water temps 1' below the surface of the top of the water. Seems most actively feeding fish for dry flies are usually around that depth. Obviously not all of the time though.
I concur however at least in my case, I only take the water temp to see if it is too warm to safely fish for trout so I really only use my old fashioned thermometer on a string in the summer.

I would have to think that if the fans of IR thermometers are using it for the same reason as I do, it doesn't matter if it is just the surface temperature.

I wasnt really buying it to use for fishing TBH. I agree and have a dip thermometer for that

I'm going with a pool thermometer from Ace Hardware. 3.99 so I won't feel too bad if I leave it at the bottom of a stream or step on it the way I usually do.

Back