invasive survey PSU

nymphingmaniac

nymphingmaniac

Keep in eye out in your in/spam boxes.
A survey by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and researchers at Pennsylvania State University was emailed to me as a license holder. They ask a few background questions, but it appears that the focus is flatheads

That’s what it says is one of the foci, but they only asked one question specifically about flatheads. The survey is more about invasives in general angler knowledge/behavior associated with invasives. I would say, however, that since I answered that I had not fished for flatheads, it is possible that the survey may have taken me in a different direction than if I had answered in the affirmative. I suspect that this survey is tied in part to the present and ongoing flathead biological study being conducted by PSU and the PFBC.

General comments about angler surveys follow:

Angler surveys whether on a lake, beach, stream, river, dock, or by telephone or email are typically done across a broad sub-set of all participants. One need not interview every angler to get a representative sample of catches or opinions.
Anglers often say when discussing survey results something like “they didn‘t interview me.” Statistically speaking, with a large enough sample size they interviewed somebody like each angler who was not interviewed and that opinion was represented in the sample population in the same proportion that it occurred in the total population, give or take a small error.

Last edited:
"The survey is more about invasives in general angler knowledge/behavior associated with invasives"

". I suspect that this survey is tied in part to the present and ongoing flathead biological study being conducted by PSU and the PFBC."

Does PSU and the general angler know the PFBC stocks invasive species by the millions, in hundreds, if not thousands of waterways each year?

The PFBC annually stocks approximately 3.15 million adult trout in 720 streams and 126 lakes open to public angling. These figures include approximately 2 million rainbow trout; 640,000 brown trout; and 500,000 brook trout.May 2, 2018
This doesn't even factor in co op and permit stockings of brown trout.

"The survey is more about invasives in general angler knowledge/behavior associated with invasives"

". I suspect that this survey is tied in part to the present and ongoing flathead biological study being conducted by PSU and the PFBC."

Does PSU and the general angler know the PFBC stocks invasive species by the millions, in hundreds, if not thousands of waterways each year?

The PFBC annually stocks approximately 3.15 million adult trout in 720 streams and 126 lakes open to public angling. These figures include approximately 2 million rainbow trout; 640,000 brown trout; and 500,000 brook trout.May 2, 2018
This doesn't even factor in co op and permit stockings of brown trout.
Please, please don't derail this thread into how horrible Pennsylvania is and our ignorant anglers who don't care about natives and how the PFBC is super evil and promotes horrible practices, etc etc etc etc. Please......

Please, please don't derail this thread into how horrible Pennsylvania is and our ignorant anglers who don't care about natives and how the PFBC is super evil and promotes horrible practices, etc etc etc etc. Please......
Sorry. It was important to one of the questions asked in the survey but I digress, it's all unicorns, puppies and rainbows. The last one literally.

It was in my E-mail and I completed it yesterday.

I saw it hit my inbox a few weeks ago and took it then. I think I failed. It made re realize that I really don't know a lot about invasive species. The survey alone prompted some invasive awareness on my behalf.

Back