installing Cortland line loop

B

billm67

What is the right way to install a Cortland line loop? I figured out the inch worm technique to get the line in...but getting the heat shrink to pull it up tight was a problem. I tried heating the first one with a lighter and melted the loop. The second one I used a hair dryer...but the heat shrink didn't tighten up properly and it pulled off. The third time....I put a drop of thinned Zap(CA) on the braided section and glues it fast before pulling on the heat shrink. It looks like it is going to hold....but let's say the whole thing does not lead me to have a huge amount of confidence in the loop.

billm67 wrote:
What is the right way to install a Cortland line loop? I figured out the inch worm technique to get the line in...but getting the heat shrink to pull it up tight was a problem. I tried heating the first one with a lighter and melted the loop. The second one I used a hair dryer...but the heat shrink didn't tighten up properly and it pulled off. The third time....I put a drop of thinned Zap(CA) on the braided section and glues it fast before pulling on the heat shrink. It looks like it is going to hold....but let's say the whole thing does not lead me to have a huge amount of confidence in the loop.

The best way to make the tube shrink is to use a light bulb. An incandescent bulb (the old fashioned kind) works best.

Slide on the shrink tube first and inch the braided line over the fly line. Slide the shrink tube over the end of the braided line and place it on a lit light bulb.

The light bulb has enough heat to cause the tube to shrink, but not enough to burn it. Keep rotating the tube on the bulb until it shrinks over the connection. HTH.

That's a great idea! Thanks for the info.

Instead of that, forget the line loop and put a "welded loop" on your line. At the end of your line, make a loop, take thread from tying flies and wrap the loop together. Make sure you do it plenty of times. Whip finish and Id suggest some head cement. Works just as good as the loop. And believe me I used what you have when I started out. They're a pain in the ***. And I wouldn't go any other way but a loop in the line.

And you being in camp hill your actually close enough I could show you how to do it. If ya can't get your cortland on pm me and well meet up and I'll just put one on your line.

Throw it in the trash and make a whipped loop or nail knot a piece of mono with a perfection loop.

Kev

They come off, don't use it. I had two of them fail on me, on two different lines. I now make my own welded loops.

Reading this reminded me of when I started fishing and my Dad had me use those metal eyelets for years. I can't remember how many times I got sliced open from those damn things.

I gave up trying to inch worm the braided loop. I just nail knot the thing onto the fly line.

Back