Insect Shield clothing

C

Canoetripper

www.insectshield.com

I am very impressed right now. Mosquitoes show up 3 feet away and then just go away.

There is very little wind at the cabin I am staying at and all I have is the shirt. I just ordered the ball cap, socks, and pants.

No mosquitoes is great, and no ticks would even be better.

Last edited:
Permethrin is well-known for its effectiveness. You can get spray (I use Sawyer's, available on Amazon, at Cabela's, etc) and treat any clothing. It won't last for the life of the clothing, but it does last for supposedly several weeks/multiple laundry cycles. All my hunting clothes get treated with Sawyer's, and where I used to have multiple ticks attached to me a year (in the fall mostly, but also in spring turkey season), I haven't had one in a long, long time. And it keeps the skeeters off, too.

Nothing wrong with the clothing purpose-built, but just wanted to share that you can also treat your favorite non-repellant clothing and enjoy the same kind of protection.

Permethrin is well-known for its effectiveness. You can get spray (I use Sawyer's, available on Amazon, at Cabela's, etc) and treat any clothing. It won't last for the life of the clothing, but it does last for supposedly several weeks/multiple laundry cycles. All my hunting clothes get treated with Sawyer's, and where I used to have multiple ticks attached to me a year (in the fall mostly, but also in spring turkey season), I haven't had one in a long, long time. And it keeps the skeeters off, too.

Nothing wrong with the clothing purpose-built, but just wanted to share that you can also treat your favorite non-repellant clothing and enjoy the same kind of protection.
Thank you for the information.

Yes, the difference between spraying on yourself and buying the insect shield stuff, or paying for the service, is cost and longevity.

Spraying it on yourself is MUCH cheaper than the markup on pre-treated gear, or sending out the clothing and having someone do it commercially. But, you do have to re-apply the home treatments every few months or like 6 washings, whichever comes first. The commercial stuff lasts longer.

If you're disciplined about it, you save money with DIY, but most of us will let it go too long, and thus degrade our protection.

I bought a few Insect Shield garments this year but also opted to have them treat some of my clothing including my fishing shirt & pants and even some regular long sleeve T-shirts & Carhartt pants I wear for yard work.

I was impressed in how quickly the turnaround was and they even sewed "Insect Shield" labels in each garment they treated.

Obviously you can take the longevity claims with a grain of salt however, as a former DIY-er, what pcray1231 said below hits home:

Yes, the difference between spraying on yourself and buying the insect shield stuff, or paying for the service, is cost and longevity.

Spraying it on yourself is MUCH cheaper than the markup on pre-treated gear, or sending out the clothing and having someone do it commercially. But, you do have to re-apply the home treatments every few months or like 6 washings, whichever comes first. The commercial stuff lasts longer.

If you're disciplined about it, you save money with DIY, but most of us will let it go too long, and thus degrade our protection.

I used to DIY treat my stuff with a Sawyer "soak-kit" every year which could treat several garments at once. They discontinued the soak kit years ago and now only offer a spray that is a pain in the a$$ to use for several garments. Other options like the stuff sold at Tractor Supply for livestock have other issues.

That sealed the deal for me. Going forward, since I don't wash my fishing stuff that often and store the treated stuff in Ziploc bags between fishing trips, I figure I'll be sending my stuff to Insect Shield every three or four years and save myself time and money.

I am sitting on the front cabin porch in the Poconos this evening on a very calm night. Normally, I would be mosquito food. The clothing is working with an assist from 2 Cutter Citro Guard candles, but no camp fire.

I have yet to smoke a cigar.

The real test will be tomorrow with ticks.

I am sitting on the front cabin porch in the Poconos this evening on a very calm night. Normally, I would be mosquito food. The clothing is working with an assist from 2 Cutter Citro Guard candles, but no camp fire.

I have yet to smoke a cigar.

The real test will be tomorrow with ticks.
Get yourself a Thermacell Backpacker for the front porch.

I've made a believer out of a LOT of folks including a friend who is an exterminator and bunch of musician pals at an outdoor jam last Wednesday evening because they really work and don't stink like citronella products.

I own more than a few Backpackers and have one and a fuel canister stashed in most of my gear bags. I also keep one in the garage to use on my front porch & rear deck. They get used every time I know I will be outdoors and stationary.

I prefer the Backpacker versus the other models they sell because I use isobutane fuel canisters for other camping gear (lanterns/stoves) and they are way cheaper than the proprietary fuel cartridges Thermacell offers.

Besides, my wife hates it when I smoke cigars. ;)

Thanks for all of the great replies. I will look into them, especially for using my favorite fishing clothing, and sitting on the front porch.

The Insect Shield clothing works great. I spent all day in the woods and am awaiting the evening hatch if there is one. No ticks or mosquito bites.

The ball cap is great. Biting insects would buzz my head once and maybe twice, but not a third time.

Again, thanks for the replies and FYI's.

Bamboozle,

I hope that you read this. I forgot that I ordered and have with me two Thermacell Patio Shield Mosquito Protection Lanterns from Amazon.

I am sure that these will work great.

I bought a few Insect Shield garments this year but also opted to have them treat some of my clothing including my fishing shirt & pants and even some regular long sleeve T-shirts & Carhartt pants I wear for yard work.

I was impressed in how quickly the turnaround was and they even sewed "Insect Shield" labels in each garment they treated.

Obviously you can take the longevity claims with a grain of salt however, as a former DIY-er, what pcray1231 said below hits home:

I used to DIY treat my stuff with a Sawyer "soak-kit" every year which could treat several garments at once. They discontinued the soak kit years ago and now only offer a spray that is a pain in the a$$ to use for several garments. Other options like the stuff sold at Tractor Supply for livestock have other issues.

That sealed the deal for me. Going forward, since I don't wash my fishing stuff that often and store the treated stuff in Ziploc bags between fishing trips, I figure I'll be sending my stuff to Insect Shield every three or four years and save myself time and money.
Thanks for all of the great replies. I will look into them, especially for using my favorite fishing clothing, and sitting on the front porch.

The Insect Shield clothing works great. I spent all day in the woods and am awaiting the evening hatch if there is one. No ticks or mosquito bites.

The ball cap is great. Biting insects would buzz my head once and maybe twice, but not a third time.

Again, thanks for the replies and FYI's.
BB and CT - I don't know how one could test the longevity of protection claims from insect shield, however, any anecdotal evidence you guys have on the longevity of protection for insect shield treatment would be appreciated.

The consensus (and company claims) seems to be that IS lasts longer than Sawyers DIY spray but how do we really know that is true?

Thanks

kbobb, FWIW.
I’ve finished my 3rd season with my Insect Shield treated clothing, mainly turkey hunting. No ticks thus far.

Back