Info on Harpers Ferry

elonDO

elonDO

There is a good chance I will be headed to Frederick, MD, this weekend to visit my inlaws. I've been looking to fish the Harpers Ferry area for smallmouth bass for quite sometime.

I was thinking of trying to get out Saturday or Sunday morning. Would be wading the area. Anybody with insight of where would be safe places to wade? Also, any idea of fishing license requirements? It seems like certain areas an MD license is ok, others you need a VA or WV license. Any insight or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A Maryland license is required to fish the Potomac and WV to fish the Shenandoah.

I have fished it twice and always liked the Shenandoah better than the Potomac but my experience is limited there so hopefully someone else will chime in.

From the WV side. Years ago I took my son down to WV camping and Brookie fishing for a weekend. I kind of remember buying a 3 day (or something close to that) non-resident fishing license on line for a very reasonable price. Not sure if things have changed since that time.

As others have pointed out, you can use a MD license on both banks. Their one or three day tourist license is pricey however (I think around $25). The last time I checked, both MD and VA licenses covered the Potomac and VA has a cheaper tourist license but I don't think it will cover the immediate HF area as this is WV. A short jaunt downstream will put you along VA. If you haven't already done so, you may enjoy reading my article about HF "John Brown's Bass" on the homepage - you'll need to scroll to page 2 for more fishing info rather than historical stuff. You may also consider a guided trip with Kelly White which will take you on a float trip thru that area. It's short notice, but you might give him a call.

Feel free to send me a PM if you'd care to discuss further.

The VA license is 8 bucks for a single day and 21 bucks for a 5 day fwiw.

That's Brian Kelly at White Fly Outfitters. I've fished with him the past 4 or 5 years. Brian and Debbie also have a bed & breakfast in Harpers Ferry called the Anglers Inn.

teedee wrote:
That's Brian Kelly at White Fly Outfitters.

Yes - thanks for the correction.
His business is "Kelly's White Fly Outfitters" and I often get that jumbled in my head.

Anyway, yes a good and experienced guide. I often enjoy his talks at the FF shows.

The boat ramp on the Loudoun VA, side at point of rocks is safe to wade. The lander boat ramp near Jefferson md is a good place also but a little tricky. The bridge at Brunswick, MD has always worked well for me. Plenty of wading access across from Harpers Ferry off of Harpers Ferry Road in Washington county MD. You would be fine with just a Maryland license unless you wanted to fish the Shenandoah. A float trip would be good. We see the guides from the shop a lot when we are out. They are all good guys.

You could pick a quarter mile section and almost fish it all day at any of the spots I mentioned. This is BIG water. Streamers, and crayfish patterns work the best. Poppers can be good in the morning, evening, or when cloudy. The rivers do see a little pressure but the water is so big it does not seem to have much of an effect.

We fished both rivers this week and they are almost perfect for wading and did very well with smallmouth. Carp, well, carp and I don't agree well right now but plenty of them to try out. I had two musky follow my crayfish pattern this morning but spooked them before they grabbed it.

Was there this evening for the first time this summer.
Levels are indeed perfect for wading and although a Wed afternoon, the beautiful weather had a lot of folks out on the canal path and in the river both kayaking and just playing around.

I fished from about 5:30 to dusk and managed a few small bass and a cattie on crayfish flies fished dead drift, but overall, the fishing was slow and the river just didn't turn on tonight. In my experience, post frontal conditions such as we had today with blue bird skies and low humidity are nice to be outside in, but often bass are not very active. Nevertheless, this river rat really needed a fix and it was great to be out.

Back