inflatable pontoon boats

I'd call Northfork and ask if the boats are saltwater friendly.

I can't see why they would not be saltwater friendly. Aluminum and PVC fair pretty well in saltwater.

I believe Scadden shipped mine for $40, though actual cost was $80 I believe. There is quite a bit of margin in those things. Buying at Cabelas and having shipped to Cabelas for free pick up presents a couple of issues IMHO. First, you will be charged $60 tax versus no tax from Scadden. Second, the frame that Scadden sells is allegedly an improved model that Cabelas would not switch over to because they were happy with sales/profit of the current model. Warning: Dave Scadden will do everything in his power to make you happy with your purchase and is a super nice guy, however sometime they are very busy and a bit on the unorganized side. Sight, his buddy and I all ordered the exact same boat around the same time and we all have different "features". Not to mention it took about a month for me to get mine, though I was personally told it was "going on the truck" the following day and it is 5 days UPS ground from west coast.

Regarding the Colorado XT, skip it. That was my first boat. After the first the steel frame rusted so bad that it required sanding to get it back together. I would imagine this would be a problem with about any steel frame. Aluminum frame all the way and no fabric toon covers! I have witnessed both being problematic first hand.

Saltwater may void warranty. That's the point I was making.

I know Dave is a good salesman but I didn't see any difference in the boat at Cabelas vs. the one that came directly from Northfork.

Good point on the warranty though I don't see a disclaimer on it. Best to call.

Remember my previous post in another thread? "Laser locking frame . . . whatever the hell that is"? LOL.

As long as it's aluminum I am good.

A yak would be better in the salt, lots of currents to contend with and a pontoon would have limits on that. rips are bad off of the beaches too.

That's kinda what I figured. Don't really have the room for a kayak tho. I thought I heard someone using it in Barnegat Bay. The waves can be worse there at times than the surf.

Barnegut bay has some very nasty flows at times, I know of a guy you went out the inlet cause he could not fight currents with a canoe, had to be recued.

Going down there for vacation in Sept. Man, do I need a vacation. Got so much work to do both at work and home, haven't really taken any vacation yet this year, just one day.

Should hit the mullet run then bring the deceivers in colors to match along with spread flies by bob pop..

I was thinking of getting a salt fly fishing outfit. Since only really down there once a year, kinda not worth it. Do want to try it, I would love to outfish my brother-in-law with flies. I do use the mullet surf rig. I usually catch blues, which I am out for and release them. Run a mullet rig with one rod, other usually throw a plug or something else.

JDaddy
Warning: Dave Scadden will do everything in his power to make you happy with your purchase and is a super nice guy, however sometime they are very busy and a bit on the unorganized side. Sight, his buddy and I all ordered the exact same boat around the same time and we all have different "features". Not to mention it took about a month for me to get mine, though I was personally told it was "going on the truck" the following day and it is 5 days UPS ground from west coast.

I spoke to Dave a few times on the phone before placing the order. He was helpful, friendly, and made me a great deal. But like you it did not go smoothly. Shipping took over three weeks (it was in stock). And then I was overcharged about $200. That took numerous phone calls, the third or fourth one from my part which was very heated. Dave was apologetic and finally got the refund out right away.

So like you I think he is a great guy, but yes, he appears to be a little bit chaotic at running a business.

JG

Also- If you go to his website you will see pics of them fishing for Bonefish. I think they do that in Saltwater!

And yes, there are incredible currents in Barnegat Bay. Look on a map at the size of the bay, and the number of inlets. There are very few, and a ton of water flows through them during tidal changes.

JG, very good point on flats use.

I told Sight back when I bought that boat and had problems he should go out there and run that business for Scadden. Let Scaddn take care of design, marketing and production. Sight could crack the whip on the biz office/shipping.

Yea, I saw the flats fishing. I also read his article that you can find on the northfork website that was in Fly Fisherman magazine years ago. They have picutures of flats there, and a video of them in Belize I think fishing the flats. Then again, it only takes a rip current and could be hard to get back to the beach. My bro-in-law has one of those cheapo inflatable rafts, for fun two man, and used to take it in the surf and get pummeled, sometimes ride the waves back in, and seen ocean kayaks work their way thru the surf. I used to tow him out on my boogie board years ago. He still has that little raft...I think he got it at Farias one year.

I picked up my Scadden today, but didn't have time to play around with it and set it up. Was out on the road doing running around and went to the Trumbaursville carnival for dinner. Any suggestions for other items other than the spiked anchor, quick check pressure gauge, patch kit, and probably a k-pump?
Cabelas Hamburg didn't have a k-pump and the check gauge so will order them online.

I was thinking of that. Saw the notch in the lean bar that looks like it would be for that. Also the stripping basket, but those might be on hold for a bit. I also have yet to fully put it together. With the hotter temps this past week, and coming home the past three days and having to call the code-a-phone to see if I had to goto Philly for jury duty kinda put things in a down mood. No jury duty so I'm happy. Was out earlier have it mostly together, did that sunday night. Still need to inflate the pontoons, install oar rights, seat, and pulley for anchor, minor quick stuff.

Scaddens stripping basket flat out sucks, so look for another party.

I don't think you would want to put the rod holder on the lean bar.

I'll agree w/ the basket sucking. It's more or less an object hanging in the water creating drag when the bar is back. When you put the bar up, it dumps the water on your head and then sags due to the weight from it being soaked. Josh is pretty handy and we are trying to come up with an idea to rig them better. Keep you posted.

As for rod holders, the side pockets on the boat will hold rods. Don't cut into ANYTHING!!

Patch kit is a great idea. I got one before hitting the river because I know how my luck is. I know it's hard to believe but you do need a 10-15 lb anchor to hold that boat down in moving water. I tried 2 smaller ones and they just won't stop the boat from drifting.

Always carry a roll of duct tape and a roll of toilet paper in a zip lock bag. ;)

Back