inflatable pontoon boats

BrandonMH

BrandonMH

Any one use any inflatable pontoon boats that they use, and have any suggestions? I've been thinking and researching some of them and been debating on getting one. Kinda torn, I like the Colorado XT or an Outcast like the fishcat 10-IR stand up.

Scadden and Outcast would be far better choices. There was a thread on here not long ago discussing pontoons.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14437&forum=2&post_id=185864#forumpost185864

Here’s part of a conversation that I had with another member on the board earlier this month…

“The first 2 issues you'll want to address are:

* Your size/weight & amount of gear you'd carry
* Your approx price range

You can find boats that are 7' long up to 11' long. The carrying capacity will range from 250 lbs to 950 lbs. Prices range from $150 - over $2000.

I started with an 8' Outcast last year. It's rated for a max carrying weight of 350 lbs. I weigh 175 + 50 in gear and don't think I would have put too much more on it and still felt safe. This year, I've moved to a 10.5' boat w/ a weight rating of 900 lbs. It's super stable and I can stand up and fish from it if I so desire.

I did a fair amount of research before buying and will be happy to share any info I have w/ you.

First, we'll need to figure out if you'll be fishing lakes, rivers or a mixture. What is your price range and how big of a boat will you NEED based on use and operator size. Get me that info and we'll go from there.”

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
First, we'll need to figure out if you'll be fishing lakes, rivers or a mixture. What is your price range and how big of a boat will you NEED based on use and operator size. Get me that info and we'll go from there.”

Let me just cut in for a second and ask, if I was shooting for a mixture, but definatly intended on small lakes, etc, how does that affect your choice? Away from a 'toon then, or are you suggesting a different type?

In the last round of discussions, I looked at the new Scaddens with the sort of bow in the front.. Thought that was nice 'til I saw the price. :)

I only weight shouldn't be a big problem. I weigh about 180ish and gear might total maybe 30lbs. I have been leaning more towards an Outcast toon. I would be mostly for the Lehigh river for now, possibly lakes/ponds in the future. I was trying to find Outcast's river ratings for their pontoons but they didn't state it. I don't really need/want a class 3 rated one, but to have the class 2 ability in case a bit of a rapid, would be good. The standing platform I am still debating about, nice feature tho. Also not sure if I want to spend more than $900 for a pontoon yet. I have looked at the Pac 800, 900, 1000 that Outcast has as well, but expensive.

P.s. I was reading that other thread on the kayak/canoe/pontoon choice also. Did answer a question or two. I'm mostly trying to decide which pontoon would be good for me.

gfen,
There WOULD be a big difference if you got an 8' toon for floating in ponds and small rivers versus a 10-12' toon for handling larger rapids and bigger lakes. Stability and mobility in the water. I don't mind the 8' boat on the Delaware EB when it's at 900-1000 but if she pumping at 1600-1800, I want the bigger boat for sure.

Brandon,
If you look at the Outcast vs the Scadden.... I believe that only the Discovery series from Outcast has the aluminum frames where all of the Scadden models should be aluminum framed. May not seem like a big deal but 5 lbs less weight and not having to worry about it rusting makes a big difference. The Scadden boat is class IV rated and they claim that you can use the standing platform in class II rapids. I haven’t tried standing on mine in fast water yet, I will sometime though. I think the Outcast boats are class II & III rated. You’d rather have too sturdy a boat than too wimpy of a boat unless you like swimming in waders. Prices are fairly close to one another. You will want to check the warranty provided by each company. You want to get an anchor and a spare oar lock or two. Snap one going through the rapids and you down to one oar which will make it very tough.

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/products/default.aspx?id=19

Best boat in the world for the Lehigh,Delaware, well it's really just the best boat in the world!

BrandonMH wrote:
Any one use any inflatable pontoon boats that they use, and have any suggestions? I've been thinking and researching some of them and been debating on getting one. Kinda torn, I like the Colorado XT or an Outcast like the fishcat 10-IR stand up.

I'd go with the Outcast over the Colorado, here's why: The Colorado's pontoon bladder covers use like 400 denier nylon. The Outcast uses a more heavy duty PVC. I had a model like the Colorado, it worked great until an unusually sharp snag on a rock put a tear in the 400 denier nylon. They had aftermarket heavy duty PVC bladder covers available so I ordered them for like $200. Creek Company also has some real nice upper end boats with PVC, along with Outcast, and Scadden.

Whatever boat you get you want: heavy-duty or whitewater grade PVC pontoons and an aluminum frame (instead of steel- trust me, even with weather-proof powder coating, the steel frame will rust in some places.)

Yea, I have been leaning more towards an Outcast. I do kinda like that Fishcat 10-IR, the Discovery 9-IR is nice as well, but there are a few others I was looking at. I would rather have one with a better rating, and have been looking at the bladder cover materials and that. Better safe then sorry. Thanks for the info, it is helping.

For God's sake Alpa, he didn't say he was starting up a guide service.... he just wants a boat. LMAO

If you have the scratch to spend, I'd definitely look at the new series of Scadden 1-man's, they're so stout you can put a 5hp motor on them if you wanted. Check the stories and the boat specs out on the site. Careful, next thing you'll find yourself doing is looking to get a 2 or 3 man pontoon boat ;)

That Outlaw X5 is SWEET! I don't think you can go wrong witht the Discovery series or one of the Scadden models. I have a Fishcat 8 and a Skykomish ST. Both are well built boats.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
For God's sake Alpa, he didn't say he was starting up a guide service.... he just wants a boat. LMAO

Yeah I hear, I just hate seeing guys buy three or four little dinky one man jobs and then realizing down the road they shouldn't have spent all that money on something thing really didn't wont! Buy the best and laugh at the rest! Once I gather some loot I'm buying one of them!

I have to admit, those Scannden's are nice. Just wondering how much shipping and handling will be on one...about the same price as a Fishcat 10-IR is for a better river rating and pontoon material, would make things a bit more relaxing knowing it can take it.

I think on their site (North Fork Outdoors) you can find the shipping charges for each boat. If not, you can always e-mail and ask, they seem to get back to you quickly.

Unless you're hell bent on buying it now you might find a deal for one at the Flyfishing Show in January. Actually I know of a guy that was selling a Scadden 2 or 3-man on another forum (try searching for North East Fly Fishing, 4 seperate words)

If you get a 2 or 3-man (or even for some 1-man 'toons) you're going to want flat trailer. You don't want to get into setting up/ breaking down a boat all season long- big PIA. A cargo trailer will work or a snowmobile trailer with the front cowl removed is great too (that's what my Scadden rides on.)

Shipping directly from Nothfork Outdoors is around $100. You can get one from Cabelas and pick it up for $0 shipping. The Scadden Skykomish ST is $999 and the Madison River ST for $899. I found the Outcast Fishcat 9-IR for $699 w/ free shipping and the Discovery Series 9-IR for $899 w/ free shipping.

Joe Demalderis is the guide selling a 3-man Scadden with all the extras too. Not sure if the trailer is included. Find him at flyfishthedelaware.com

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
You work with Coz?

Nope, I just know happen to remember that Joe is selling a Scadden and that's his site. As of today, the boat is still available too.

Anyone know how a Bucks Bags Extreme model stands up to the Scadden's and Outcasts?

Those scanden's, could they be used in the surf? Would be nice for low tide launch off LBI beach on vacation.

Back