Inflatable Kayaks?

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone tried or used inflatable kayaks? I have seen several online that seem pretty good, but would love to hear from someone with first hand experience please.

Has anyone tried or used inflatable kayaks? I have seen several online that seem pretty good, but would love to hear from someone with first hand experience please.
Look up Jeff little on YouTube. He is a kayak fishing pioneer and uses I believe wilderness systems inflatable kayak. He’s had endless hours of info on his Channel and also has incredible knowledge on Susquehanna smallmouth.

Dear Dave,

Are you looking for something set up as a fishing kayak, or are you looking for a way to move from spot to spot.

A couple of years ago I asked about inflatable fishing kayaks and if memory serves me right rrt mentioned he had an NRS Pike that he liked. It may have been RLP though? Both are long time board participants.

I wound up getting Crescent kayaks for my wife and myself because inflatables were hard to come by during covid. Sea Eagle makes some nice inflatable fishing boats and kayaks. Not the pool toy kind, the ones with drop stitch floors and high capacities.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I don't have a boat yet but due to the already small size of a kayak that is in of itself is a lightweight vessel I can't see the benefits of having an inflatable variant. An inflatable kayak just seems more of a hassle and I don't like the loss of structural integrity with inflatable watercraft. Just my 2 cents. I don't think I'll have an inflatable boat ever besides maybe those little drift boats.

Hey Dave,

I have a Hobie Compass rotomolded (hard) kayak that I really love to fish out of on both rivers and lakes. The hands-free pedal drive is really the best for fishing. In the past I really didn't get a lot of fishing time in my paddle kayak, especially in rivers. The pedal drive is as easy as walking and going a mile or two, even in a moderate current is no problem. With the Hobie I can now launch in the river, fish a mile or two up or downstream and return to the launch area. This allows me or fish alone anytime with having to float down and have multiple vehicles to drive back upstream to the takeout.

Anyway, Hobie has the equivalent kayak that's an inflatable with all the features of their rotomolded kayak. It can be stowed in the back of an SUV or car trunk and includes an electric pump and hand pump. It's certainly not cheap but it's a great fishing machine, at least from my experience. Great thing to have in Florida!

Here is a link >

Dear Dave,

Are you looking for something set up as a fishing kayak, or are you looking for a way to move from spot to spot.

A couple of years ago I asked about inflatable fishing kayaks and if memory serves me right rrt mentioned he had an NRS Pike that he liked. It may have been RLP though? Both are long time board participants.

I wound up getting Crescent kayaks for my wife and myself because inflatables were hard to come by during covid. Sea Eagle makes some nice inflatable fishing boats and kayaks. Not the pool toy kind, the ones with drop stitch floors and high capacities.

Regards,

It would be for fishing and have seen a little about the Sea Eagle brand. Seem to me SE and other new inflatable kayaks are very sturdy much like the inflatable boats that are commonly used for fly fishing on bigger streams. I was hoping to hear if someone has had any experience with any of these crafts.

This is my first contribution to PAFF in nearly a year due to (what I see as) deteriorating board tenor. But that is another topic for perhaps another time. Or not.. I remain undecided as to whether there is a place here for me.

Anyway... Tim: It was you and I who had the inflatables discussion back a couple years ago. I'm a fan of the high end inflatables for ease of transport and storage. I'm on my third one, not because I go through them but rather because my brother is too cheap to buy a new one and if I want him to fish with me , I have to sell him my boats at a steep discount. So, I do..

My first one was the original NRS Pike. 2000 denier and damn near indestructible. This boat is no longer available and there isn't really any use in spending more verbiage on it other than to say I liked it a lot.

My 2nd inflatable was the NRS Star Pike. NRS still sells this kayak new, but have dropped the "Star" from the name. Here it is: https://www.nrs.com/nrs-pike-inflatable-fishing-kayak/p64e This has been my favorite of the 3 inflatables I've owned. The dual hard keels along with the removable skeg allow this boat to zip along probably twice the speed of the original PIKE, which I appreciated as I got a bit older. The lawn chair-type seat that comes with this boat is great. Very comfortable. I could fish from it all day with only one ibuprofen for my knees... It is however, only 1000 denier, which makes it a little less suitable for tight flowing water destinations, but perfect for river and lake fishing, IMO. This is the boat I would recommend to anybody looking for a quality solo inflatable for fishing. My brother now owns the one I have and I now have a..

Sea Eagle 350FX. https://www.seaeagle.com/FishingKay...MIypugh_W5ggMV3UZHAR2xOgG6EAAYASAAEgJ_yvD_BwE
This is by far the sturdiest of the inflatables I have owned (2000 denier reinforced), but it is also the heaviest (around 52 lb). It is also (at 11' 6") a foot shorter than either of my Pikes. This is an OK boat and I like it, but I'm less than 100% head over heels in love with it. For one thing, the loss of the 12-14" of length makes a difference and it seems kinda crammed at times. I'm only 5' 9". If you are taller, I would imagine this would be even more of an issue. I have the package with the swivel seat, but I don't use it. It's a bit too high and goosey for me, right at the edge of the danger zone for center of gravity stuff, IMO. There are a number of minor issues that irritate me with the 350fx. Sea Eagle does not supply a skeg slot protector (NRS did on both Pikes). Hence, I'm often found picking small gravel and chunks of fonk out of the slot with a jackknife either at put in or take out. The air valves on my Pikes were threaded and once you screwed them in for inflation, you could leave the thing alone until your pump shut off when it got to full inflation (with a 12v electric pump, which I would strongly recommend). The Sea Eagle valves are not threaded and the hose often pops out of the fitting during inflatiton unless you hold it in place. Not always, but sometimes. For $1300, this should have been remedied in design, IMO. The 350fx is fairly slow compared to either of my Pikes. More yaw too, even with the taller skeg installed. But it is very, very durable and you can bounce off sticks and stuff without any fear of puncture. Like I say, I like my Sea Eagle. But if I were to get another inflatable to day, I'd go back to the current model of the NRS Pike.

Hope this helps..

RLP

This is my first contribution to PAFF in nearly a year due to (what I see as) deteriorating board tenor. But that is another topic for perhaps another time. Or not.. I remain undecided as to whether there is a place here for me.

Anyway... Tim: It was you and I who had the inflatables discussion back a couple years ago. I'm a fan of the high end inflatables for ease of transport and storage. I'm on my third one, not because I go through them but rather because my brother is too cheap to buy a new one and if I want him to fish with me , I have to sell him my boats at a steep discount. So, I do..

My first one was the original NRS Pike. 2000 denier and damn near indestructible. This boat is no longer available and there isn't really any use in spending more verbiage on it other than to say I liked it a lot.

My 2nd inflatable was the NRS Star Pike. NRS still sells this kayak new, but have dropped the "Star" from the name. Here it is: https://www.nrs.com/nrs-pike-inflatable-fishing-kayak/p64e This has been my favorite of the 3 inflatables I've owned. The dual hard keels along with the removable skeg allow this boat to zip along probably twice the speed of the original PIKE, which I appreciated as I got a bit older. The lawn chair-type seat that comes with this boat is great. Very comfortable. I could fish from it all day with only one ibuprofen for my knees... It is however, only 1000 denier, which makes it a little less suitable for tight flowing water destinations, but perfect for river and lake fishing, IMO. This is the boat I would recommend to anybody looking for a quality solo inflatable for fishing. My brother now owns the one I have and I now have a..

Sea Eagle 350FX. https://www.seaeagle.com/FishingKay...MIypugh_W5ggMV3UZHAR2xOgG6EAAYASAAEgJ_yvD_BwE
This is by far the sturdiest of the inflatables I have owned (2000 denier reinforced), but it is also the heaviest (around 52 lb). It is also (at 11' 6") a foot shorter than either of my Pikes. This is an OK boat and I like it, but I'm less than 100% head over heels in love with it. For one thing, the loss of the 12-14" of length makes a difference and it seems kinda crammed at times. I'm only 5' 9". If you are taller, I would imagine this would be even more of an issue. I have the package with the swivel seat, but I don't use it. It's a bit too high and goosey for me, right at the edge of the danger zone for center of gravity stuff, IMO. There are a number of minor issues that irritate me with the 350fx. Sea Eagle does not supply a skeg slot protector (NRS did on both Pikes). Hence, I'm often found picking small gravel and chunks of fonk out of the slot with a jackknife either at put in or take out. The air valves on my Pikes were threaded and once you screwed them in for inflation, you could leave the thing alone until your pump shut off when it got to full inflation (with a 12v electric pump, which I would strongly recommend). The Sea Eagle valves are not threaded and the hose often pops out of the fitting during inflatiton unless you hold it in place. Not always, but sometimes. For $1300, this should have been remedied in design, IMO. The 350fx is fairly slow compared to either of my Pikes. More yaw too, even with the taller skeg installed. But it is very, very durable and you can bounce off sticks and stuff without any fear of puncture. Like I say, I like my Sea Eagle. But if I were to get another inflatable to day, I'd go back to the current model of the NRS Pike.

Hope this helps..

RLP
Dear RLP,

Thank you for seeing my post and providing updated information. I was going to buy an original NRS Pike years ago when we talked but could never seem to find one in stock!

Your post jogged my memory and I want to let Dave Kile know that Aquaglide also makes inflatable fishing kayaks. I had forgotten about them when covid hit and stock was depleted but they seem to be regularly available now. A couple of years ago I sold 2 hard kayaks and a trailer to haul them. I came back with a check to cover a pair of these and while they were in stock when I left that Saturday, they were out of stock 4 hours later when I got home. https://www.aquaglidepaddle.com/products/blackfoot-angler-130

Thanks again for responding. I'm sure many people will find your reviews of interest.

Regards,

Last edited:
Back