Inexpensive big game reel

ian_brown

ian_brown

I'm planning to hit the Salmon river next fall, and I need a good reel. i don't want to spend too much because the rig won't get used too often. However, I don't want the drag to burn out the first time I hook a big King.

I'd like a large arbor reel that will hold a #7 or #9 line. The Orvis Rocky Mountain costs about $80, but I don't know if the drag would be up to the job. The Teton Tioga is about twice as much, but it looks great.

I'd appreciate feedback on these reels, or suggestions for other options I may be overlooking.

The Orvis Large Arbor is on sale for around $150. I think they only have the 8-11 weight model range though. Not sure about its performance.

IAN_Brown;
I own several Tioga reels and love them all. One, tough, well machined and put together piece of equipment. I have a couple of the little #2s for trout and a few of the "mid-sizes" for whatever. Then big large arbors, in both 5-6 and 7-8 sizes.

The 7-8, I use exclusively for Steelheading. Largest fish, so far, I've been able to test the drag against, was a 19 pounder I got last season on The Trask. Tioga didn't even whimper and I was well into my backing when I regained control.

All of my Tiogas, I've purchased off eBay, new, in box, w/warranty for 1/2 their retail price. Usually, on "Buy it now" deals, too, where I haven't had to "bid" to get one. :)

ian-

I have Orvis Large Arbor IV 8wt. (that is now discontinued) .

Has worked fine thus far. (heading into second season of use)

Sorry that should be V.

Okuma has some reels in a decent price range and I've heard good things about them. The first one I owned was the large arbor version for a 10WT line. On its first trip to the beach it failed during a striper blitz at Montauk. Needless to say I wasn't pleased with Okuma. The company replaced the reel and its worked fine since.

I used an Okuma reel on my trip there this year. This was the guides rig. It worked really well and I was impressed with its drag. The drag system was easy to use and from my experience it worked flawlessly.

I have a Ross CLA for my 8wt steelhead rig. I like it and picked it up for under 200.00.

One problem with any of the reels out there is the grease, the overseas made reels and some here use inferior lube for the bearings...Not to bad on smaller reels(trout) but when you get into big fish they can become hot and seize..The one way clutch type are the worse.. I keep a tube of Super Lube here and every reel that goes out of my shop I lube...Just like a wheel bearing on your car they can burn up...Redington had this problem on their AL's and all you had to do was lube them, I own 6 AL's and havn't had a problem (blues, stripers and 60lb stingrays) havn't been able to desroy them..

I've been using a Tioga 6 for the last 5 years with no problems. Have had no problems at all with it. Good solid reel at a good price.

Regards

Wondering what reel you did purchase.........and if you have not yet purchased a reel..........

consider this: Fly Logic FLP 890 or FLP 567
retail is around 100 bucks, cheaper on EBAY
the 567 can be loaded with plenty of backing and 8 wt line--the drag system is awesome--I have landed salmon up to 30 pounds on this reel with a 7 wt line, the 567 weighs 5.7 oz and the 890 is like 7.1 oz......the 890 will hold a country mile of backing and was designed for saltwater fishing

If you want a super heavy-duty reel try the Fly Logic FLA 10
it will hold an insane amount of backing with a 9 or 10 wt line
this is a very heavy reel--9.2 oz, again though--drag system from hell

Fly Logic is made in the USA

I have been trying other reels, but none really have the drag system of the Fly Logic

The Okuma AirFrame or Cascade as it is now called is a cheap composite reel with a great drag system-- you can find this reel on Ebay for under 30 dollars and will hold just enough backing with a 9 wt fly line

The Okuma Vashon 7/8 is a pretty reel......light in hand and will hold plenty of backing......I think it weighs like 5 oz or something......retails for 120...can be found on Ebay much cheaper--I paid 27 bucks for mine!!!!

I have tried a TETON reel, bought on ebay-- it squeaked right out of the box......lined it, it squeaked....fished it, it squeaked.....returned it and got my money back.....I have heard nothing but great things about these reels--made in the USA--maybe down the road I will try a TETON product again

I have used for many years an Orvis Rocky Mountain 5/6....regular arbor........it has held up wonderfully......mostly fished it for trout but it has caught some real nice steelhead......

The more different reels I try, the more I feel the Fly Logic reels are worth their weight in gold..........I have been fishing Fly Logic reels for over 7 years now...........I have sold everyone ( around 15 reels in the last 7 years) to make room for a NEW and BETTER reel.......thing is, I have not found a new and or better reel for the money..........I even tried the ROSS evolution 2-- mostly for trout but with ideas for steelhead........it could not handle steelhead......reel is rated for 456 weight lines...........I returned that reel........it was light 3.9 oz and very pretty.......but was not functional to me...........

Just my thoughts..............everyone has their brand they love.......and we all can't be wrong............find a reel that works for you and stick with it..............good luck with those salmon.......if you are heading to the Salmon River in NY.....and have questions..........send me a PM and I will try to give the best answer I possibly can.............

Loop makes a composite reel that costs about 130 bucks and has the same drag system that their 500 dollar reels have.......they come in clear and black.........that might be the next reel I give a try.........

Forgot to mention I did use a Lamson / Waterworks ULA 2 and ULA 3....both were very light and functional..........just did not appear to be durable............ although they now have the HARD ALOX thing going for them.............I sold them just for the fear of falling and bending the aluminum spool..............couldn't see spending all that money for a reel that I was afraid to fish with....or drop for that matter........awesome reels though.....and with Hard Alox finish.........they might be worth spending the money on them

I just bought a Teton Tioga 8 on Ebay. I got the reel, an extra spool, backing and a sink tip line for $105. No sqeeks. Yet.

That is an awesome find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back