In need of cheap / yet good rods....

JeremyW

JeremyW

So this summer I've been fish a lot, a few days per week most of the summer. I've started to put dings and cracks into my expensive rods. I need to more towards a daily driver that is cheaper, because it will inevitably break.

Brand thoughts:

- TFO
- Echo
- Reddington

I like slow to moderate rods for most of my fishing, looking for any ideas.

I bought an 9' 6wt Echo Carbon XL ($180) this summer based on good reviews. From what I understand Echo has a good warranty program, with replacement tips/sections about $35. It is rated as moderate/fast. I maybe should have got the Echo Traverse combo kit for $270 and saved the expense of buying a reel & fly line for the Carbon XL. My other primary rod is a 9' 5wt Orvis Encounter combo kit (currently $198) received as a gift almost 3 years ago. It is listed as a moderate action. Both work fine. The Encounter has been through a lot of beginner adventures & misadventures, and still looks new.

You'll probably get better responses if you indicate your preferred length, weight, what you consider "cheaper", and intended fishing techniques.

The Maxcatch & Aventik rods get good reviews. I’ve had a Sougayling. All probably from same factory in China. Truth be known, probably same factory and blanks making most “American” companies rods except with downgraded components, cork and goofy paint schemes. Seems if you want, say a 5 weight, you should order a 4 weight though. They are a bit stiff, unless you are making routine 60 foot casts, then use recommended line.

I've had good luck with Redington.

But you should figure out why your rods are getting dings and cracks.
hiking in very bouldery rivers, it happens at least with me... over time, cracks or dings happen.

TFO and Reddington are my expensive rods. I have a Reddington CT and TFO BVK, Signature and signature II. They are all fine rods that will never win a rod shootout unless blindfolded.

hiking in very bouldery rivers, it happens at least with me... over time, cracks or dings happen.
Jeremy,
You're probably fishing too much. Your fly line probably wears out prematurely as well. You should consider taking some time off the water to set up a rod building/repair shop in your basement. That should keep you off the water long enough to build a couple beater rods and repair your pricey ones. It also gives you the opportunity to spend money on something besides fly tying material. ;)
(Also wondering if you suffer as many cracks and dings as your rods.)

What will be the deciding factor when you actually fish those fancy rods?

Smails billy

Cabelas 3 forks rods are good. Same with a lot of Bass pro stuff. I like Redington a lot too.

(Also wondering if you suffer as many cracks and dings as your rods.)
Exactly. If you're falling a lot, that's the main issue to be addressed. There are ways to reduce the amount that you fall when fly fishing.

So far a big fan of TFO. I’ve got 2 TFO Pro II Lefty Kreh’s, one is 8’6” 4wt, and the other is a 9’ 8wt. I got both of them on sale for $110. Ordered off Madison River Fishing company where they are likely still on sale.

Lifetime warranty is allegedly great, and the ability to buy sections as backups is also nice. Stepped on my buddy’s TFO on accident once, he went to cast, the top section ended up breaking. I called TFO the next day, and had him a replacement section in a few days for only $30. Had we sent the rod back, they would’ve replaced the section for free, but we were on a time crunch so we had to order the section separately. Bought myself a spare tip section as well to always have on hand.

Yo Jer - if your methods involve a lot of wear and tear on your gear, consider glass. The Cabela CGRs are tough and amazingly cheap. Sometimes they go on sale, which makes them a virtual steal. Also, believe it or not, bamboo rods are even tougher.

Yo Jer - if your methods involve a lot of wear and tear on your gear, consider glass. The Cabela CGRs are tough and amazingly cheap. Sometimes they go on sale, which makes them a virtual steal. Also, believe it or not, bamboo rods are even tougher.
Just saw a Cabela CGR kit on the back page of a BassPro catalog for ~$140. The catalog is a couple years old so it's probably higher now. Still, a cheap rod and reel for rock-climbing and busk-whacking...

In all seriousness, if you're dinging and cracking rods, it's not the rods, it's something in your methods that needs to change. I know plenty of people that bushwack or "combat" fish that don't go busting up rods with any frequency.

I’ve employed a walking staff into my small stream fishing and it has helped tremendously

Tfo bvk and axiom 2x is a nice streamer rod. If you are fishing small mountain stream get a glass rod

Redington CT.....
Redington Vice.....if you want fast action.

Take me to it. For three, four and five weight in a medium action, hard-pressed to beat the Redington CT. Something a little faster, Redington vice or Fenwick aetos. The stiffer/faster the rod with Redington the less success I've had. I've broken a link and a CPX 2 years. They're faster ride seem a little brittle or have weak spots. Both of mine have broken above the stripping guide. I think Sierra trading Post has the aetos and the TFO Pro 2 at a reduced price which is worth a look

In all seriousness, if you're dinging and cracking rods, it's not the rods, it's something in your methods that needs to change. I know plenty of people that bushwack or "combat" fish that don't go busting up rods with any frequency.
Exactly.

So this summer I've been fish a lot, a few days per week most of the summer. I've started to put dings and cracks into my expensive rods. I need to more towards a daily driver that is cheaper, because it will inevitably break.

Brand thoughts:

- TFO
- Echo
- Reddington

I like slow to moderate rods for most of my fishing, looking for any ideas.
Knock yourself out buying new rods. I do it with nets. I'm not judging you. There are many affordable and even cheap rods that will get you acceptable results. But, Ive noticed that my net gets caught more when I'm in a hurry. The thing is, being in a hurry my equipment wouldn't just take unnecessary abuse but I wasn't catching catching as many fish as possible either. My advice to you is to slow down. Fly fishing is something that a "less is more" philosophy works better for me.
Also, if the dings and cracks have been occurring to and from the cricket you could avoid it by attaching a waterproof rod tube to backpack and not putting it together until you're ready to cast.
Whatever you decide ,good luck.

Back