"Improved" Pheasant Tail nymph

T

tctrout

Here's the video for my newest YouTube pattern, the "Improved" PT nymph. I tie this pattern more like a "guide fly," being that it's a quick tie and there's few materials. The main modification is the use of Coq de Leon tailing fibers, hence the word "improved." They're a great material previously discussed on this forum, and their durability and mottling are worth the purchase.

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNJczJeW9xk[/youtube]

Thanks for the fly tying and fly fishing replies already sent for Project Healing Waters. I didn't want to bump the original post, hence here's a copy of that video if you are considering. Thanks again!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm0SIEr_PHc[/youtube]

Its not working...

Both videos work here...

Hmm. Maybe its my phone.

Still cant view on my phone. Went to link in your signature to view. I love the simplicity of ties like these. Very quick and effective on stream. I like the way you make your tying videos, well done.

Nice pattern, Ihave been using some died pheasant tail on BHPT and Frenchies as well. They look pretty sweet and could hit different hatches and aquatic live. I have black, yellow, burgundy, green, and natural. Not a bad idea. I am a huge BHPT user, and these different, colors for bodies are nice.

The Frenchies are definitely a great pattern, and you're right that this is nearly a combination of that and the PT. Using the dyed fibers is something that I do frequently bc the shades available offer many choices for us.

Thanks again for the comments,

TC

I'm gonna whip out a few of those this weekend. Looks like an easy tie and looks really buggy.
Gonna have to put dyed PT on my materials "need" list. I only have dark and natural.

Thanks for the video.

I didn't get a chance to watch the video, are you using 2 peacock hearls for the thorax? Looks a bit more "buggy" than my typical BHPT

I like it. Pheasant tails are my go to fly and any variation is a good fly to have. Thanks

I like it. Pheasant tails are my go to fly and any variation is a good fly to have. Thanks

This is my main go to fly as well...especially with an orange hotspot or orange bead. I like to add a piece of flashback laying the length of the abdom the rib. Or a turn of CDC up from to add some movement.

mike_richardson wrote:
I didn't get a chance to watch the video, are you using 2 peacock hearls for the thorax? Looks a bit more "buggy" than my typical BHPT
Yes, two of them. Nice tie.

I did use two pieces of peacock, and it was herl found just under the eye. I prefer that peacock because it is much buggier, though it can be a little more costly.

If you want that buggy look for the body and don't want to use herl from below the herl, simply tie in four pieces of regular peacock herl and the body will be both buggy and full.

Thanks again for the comments,

TC

I've tied something similar. Used brown-olive ice dubbing for thorax and peacock or black ice dubbing. As for ribbing, I've used both wire and pearl krystal flash. I still am too cheap to by coq de leon therefore I substitute various feather and have not seen an issue

These work!

Back