Impromptu poll (kinda) regarding guides

I would only consider a guide to help me at a, or in a totally unfamiliar situation like fishing for some exotic species in an exotic location.

The rest of it is superfluous to me.

To be honest, a ghille who would fetch me beers, Scotch & cigars and make me a killer streamside lunch with any fish I catch is a much more appealing proposition.

As it is I can't stand myself so I really don't need another know-it-all expert showing me the ropes. ;-)

I was at a Upper Delaware Fly Shop as two clients were getting ready to meet their guide for a days fly fishing. Before starting out they asked him to give them a short casting lesson. I watched as these two guys were not good at all casting a fly rod. I walked past the Guide and said 'good luck" he said "thanks". I later learned that the fisherman asked to go back after 2 hours of fishing ... tipped the guy and everything.

I've never been guided, but I've been an engaged/paid guide for the day on a handful of occasions over the years. Even though all of these interactions turned out fine, I was relieved when they were over and done with. A significant portion of the reason I fish is to get away from all the expectations/competition/scrutiny/judgment in the world, other than that of the fish. Being either the guide or the guidee does not fit with the way I define fishing. I'd almost sooner have a root canal...

falcon wrote:
I was at a Upper Delaware Fly Shop as two clients were getting ready to meet their guide for a days fly fishing. Before starting out they asked him to give them a short casting lesson. I watched as these two guys were not good at all casting a fly rod. I walked past the Guide and said 'good luck" he said "thanks". I later learned that the fisherman asked to go back after 2 hours of fishing ... tipped the guy and everything.

I think this is an underappreciated aspect of the FF guiding buisiness - the degree to which you have to work with complete beginners.

I would think that most guides find this a challenge as newbies may have over-optimistic expectations of the size and numbers of fish they will catch (esp. if they read glossy magazines) and for guides working regular waterways it could be frustrating constantly re-tying knots and watching your clients fail to make casts etc.
A few minutes tutorial at the beginning of a trip can be useful but it ain't gonna instill the skills a complete beginner will need to catch trout on the Delaware.

Guides really need to be patient with beginners and this is where the teaching skill is really important. For many of us inclined to answer this survey - we're advanced anglers and would understand a guided trip differently than the many beginners that guides probably work with in a year.

I only hire guides when I've had to fly to a location and don't have the gear I need to chase the fish or the local knowledge necessary to find them. When I do, I'm looking to be put on fish by someone who knows the local game and can carry on a conversation.

I think this is an underappreciated aspect of the FF guiding buisiness - the degree to which you have to work with complete beginners.

I would think that most guides find this a challenge as newbies may have over-optimistic expectations of the size and numbers of fish they will catch (esp. if they read glossy magazines) and for guides working regular waterways it could be frustrating constantly re-tying knots and watching your clients fail to make casts etc.
A few minutes tutorial at the beginning of a trip can be useful but it ain't gonna instill the skills a complete beginner will need to catch trout on the Delaware.

Guides really need to be patient with beginners and this is where the teaching skill is really important. For many of us inclined to answer this survey - we're advanced anglers and would understand a guided trip differently than the many beginners that guides probably work with in a year.

I know this guide and he is easy going and patient. These fisherman were not engaged with the fishing on the Delaware as they should be and were probably looking for a nice afternoon., The fish can be jaded and there are other factors such as flow, turbidity, wind and just difficult fishing at times. They should have booked a trip for smallmouth .... they would have had a easier day.

If you've never fly fished, watched videos with guys landing monster fish and expect you'll go out and kill it, that's not likely or maybe not even possible. Trying to convey realistic expectations is one thing I try to stress with inexperienced clients.

The D can be tough for even seasoned anglers. I took my nephew up with virtually no fly fishing experience and got him to land a few. In the years that followed, he'd only fly fish when I'd take him to the Catskills. Last June, 17 fish hooked in 2 1/2 days.... including a top 5 trout that I've had to net up there. He dropped the rod tip as I stabbed with the net. Hit the tippet and broke it off which was heartbreaking.

Bottom line is you hired the guide, keep an open mind and listen to them. Especially important if you are relatively green. I don't think I've had someone follow directions and fail to catch fish.

It depends on geography for me. If I go out west I want the guide to get me on some fish and teach me local tactics and a few comments on my skills (or lack of them).

If I’m in the northeast I’m looking for a new experience and instruction on new techniques.

Of course, personality is always a plus.

I have only ever been guided two times, both when my wife made me go on a cruise to Alaska. I didn't know there were trips off the boat till she asked me, "Which fly-fishing trip are you going to take?" She then showed me two. I told her I was taking both of them -- both were 3-hour adventures.

The first involved a float plane flying 3 of us to a small stream off the arm of the ocean. The guide gave us rods set up with streamers and told us to go after the salmon that just covered the bottom. Meanwhile, he and his buddy left -- with the gun that I imagine was to scare off bears -- and fished somewhere upstream. Fortunately, there were no bears, and we caught pink salmon (AK's smallest) till our arms were tired, which was fun for a while. But, I did not think he should have left us on our own, esp. since he felt it prudent to take the gun with him when he left us.

A couple days later, 3 of us were driven to a stream in the Tongass forest that was very low, and we fished a large pool that looked like a small pond. The fishing wasn't as good as the first place, but this young guide stayed with us the whole time. (He was hoping to see a mother black bear and her cubs that were in the area, but that didn't happen.) I think I was the only one of us who tipped him. I thought all of us should have, since he tried to make the experience a pleasant one.

Anyhow, that's my only experience with fishing guides, so I really don't have much experience about how much to tip. I'd guess about 15% of the price of the fishing adventure.

I never hired a guide. Not against it. And I certainly have no problem w/ the standard "tipping" protocol. I know enough guides (and one or two GOOD ones) to know most of them ain't payin' the bills through guiding.

If I hired a guide, it would be to shown new waters in an unfamiliar area quickly. I wouldn't expect to actually catch anything (too much is left to chance on that one to blame any human guide!), I would, however, expect to be put on productive water.

rrt wrote;

But, I did not think he should have left us on our own, esp. since he felt it prudent to take the gun with him when he left us.

Hell no! For your guides to bailout on you totally and then go fish on their own is really unusual. I've never heard of Alaskan guides fishing while out with clients when the presence of bears is likely.

I went to Alaska once in 2011. The lodge was nice but there was no water close enough that we could go fish on our own after the guides brought us back. One day we drove on a mud road until the little 4x4 got mired up to the middle of the wheels in mud. Then the guides had the 3 of us get out and said we would have to walk. It totally sucked and we slogged through ankle deep mud for about a mile. When we got a very little stream about 15 feet wide there were bear tracks every where in the gravel. The stream was full of small rainbows, small dollies, tons of spawned out chums, and a couple bright silvers.

The guide took my two partners up stream around a bend and I couldn't see them. He left one silver on a stringer for a stream side lunch and said "Matt keep you eyes open for any bears, but it should be okay". Sure. He had a .44 magnum in a shoulder holster AND a slug shotgun. I just couldn't concentrate on fishing because of fear of a bear sneaking up on me so I left and went up stream until I found my buddies and the guide.

Back