Importance of the reel?

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

How important do you think the reel is to your setup? I just bought an 7/8 weight rod for cheap and all need is a line and reel for it. I have an old Medalist reel, but couple of buddies say that I should get something better and bigger for steelies/smallies. I personally don't agree, I can count on one hand how many fish I've actully fought with a reel. To me the reel is for line storage, it's never helped me with making a better presentation to the fish and therefore never caught a fish for me. What's your thoughts?
JH

You'll be sorry you used a reel without a good drag system the first time a 9-10lb steelie runs you into your backing and your trying to sort through all of the backlash to keep from losing the fish. For smaller trout a good reel doesn't really matter, but any type of fish that can run (i.e. large trout, steelies, stripers, shad, some bass) I feel a good reel is needed because I personally lost several fish due to a cheap before and last year I upgraded all of my reels on my "bigger" rods and have yet to lose a fish due to the reel since.

Well the reel isn't going to do anything for presentation, except to you and other anglers lol. The drag, however is another story.

I agree with shipnfish, the first time you latch into a big steelie or one that runs on you, you'll wish you had a better drag.

Small trout, I would agree, for the most part, your reel is nothing more than line storage.

With all of that said, how is the drag on the medalist reel that you have? If price is an issue and you want something cheap and solid as far as drag goes, the Cabelas Prestige Reel is very tough to beat, on sale right now for $29.95.

I'll second the presitge plus, an excellent reel I have it on my bass/steelie rod and it holds up nicely.

Is the larger Prestige sufficient for steelhead? My next rod will be something in the 7 - 9 wt range, and I'd love to be able to get away with spending $30 on the reel. On the other hand, as someone on this forum has said, "buy the best and cry once."

Im not sure if the $30 reel is the prestige plus or not. If it is thats a great buy and yes it will hold up on a steelie. I have mine on an 8wt and it is a very nice reel for the regular price(~$65-$70). If you don't trust the cabelas reels then go with the Orvis Battenkill, thats is the best reel under $150 I've ever used.

I was just on the cabelas site and the prestige plus is different from the presitge which is the $30 one. Also the prestige plus is only $50, I think I was including the extra spool in my head when I said the price earlier.

The Prestige has a solid drag and could be used for Steelies. I had one that's now my spare. I do like the all enclosed drag on the Prestige Plus for the price though.

Either way, I think you'd be happy with the performance for the money.

That's my 2 cents.

I think a good real is imperitive to landing big fish . Its allabout a good drag system . I m not talking 17inch fish . Im talking about 20 inch plus and for steelhead ofcourse .. Since I ve went to Loop evotech or a good Abel , I have increased by landing of fish by 50 percent . ALso to add your rippet need to be strong like 4x or lower to help you achieve this . BUt ofcourse good reels are $$$$$
LIKE 500 .00 PLUS

PEACE

The only time I use the reel drag is with steelhead or trout over 18"......I have fished for steelhead with both an orvis BBS and cabelas prestige plus and have been pleased with both.

Back