If you could only have only one...

F

Flydog

If you could only have one terrestrial in your fly box, what would it be?

if a green weenie counts, then that's it. If a green weenie doesn't count then i'll take an ant.

Hopper, the big fish have a hard time resisting them.

Ant

griffths gnat, or ant

I believe in extra-terrestrials. :)
In fact, I carry two boxes of terrestrials! Years ago, my answer would have been an ant, but since Miro has so kindly corrupted me with his "Soldier Beetle", my answer is now that beetle. Most fun fly I've ever fished! Fish often swim up to it and swim away, only to turn back to it several times. Twitching the fly makes it even better. A beetle tied on a size 10 streamer hook must look like a heck of a big meal to the fish. I've spent many a day fishing nothing but one of those monster sized beetles. :-o

Interesting viewpoint, mute. I've never heard a griffith's gnat called a terrestrial before. Flydog, if you consider that to be a terrestrial, then my answer might change.

I think it's a midge, therefore aquatic though... That and I really don't want to lose my ant!

Beetle, it doubles as my indicator also.

JH

I love fishing terrestrail, my first choice is a Crowe beetle!

PaulG

Crowe Beetle...but please let me have a few of them....as they tend to fall apart because the trouts love them so much.

:lol:

Ed,

Can we have the recipe for that soldier beetle... :lol:

In most cases it would be a hopper, but in some cases it might be an ant (depending on time of year, where i am fishing, and what i am fishing for).

Black foam beetle - fish eat 'em year round. I found this out quite by accident since I use this beetle as a "floater" for midge pupae. While midging winter fish the trout will still come up for the beetle. Great summer searching fly.

Hoppers, Beetles, Ants....all are exciting to fish!
I have to go with Hoppers, maybe has something to do with being able to see them better on the water. (I know...wear your glasses!)

It is way too early to be thinking about our annual PAFF Fly Swap but, what are your thoughts on a terrestrial themed Fly Swap this year?

#14 black crowe beetle - I wish a had a dollar for every fish I've caught on one!
At the advice of a guy I met on the stream a few years ago, I started tying them a little different. Instead of using deer hair only, I started tying in an under body of peacock herl before I pull the hair up over. It does seem to make the fly more effective

Spun deer hair beetle, though I as well used a size 22 foam beetle to imitate pupae as well with success earlier this year on Spring.

Maurice wrote:
Ed,

Can we have the recipe for that soldier beetle... :lol:

Ouch. Absolutely - I can kick Miro's butt.

Hook: Tiemco 5263 size 8 or 10
Body: 5mm craft foam from A.C. Moore - they sell door knob sign foam in a bunch of colors for like 50 cents - black is good.
Thread: black monocord
Legs: medium rubber legs (black)

I put a dot of flourescent orange fabric paint on the abdomen for visibility.

The picture is in the swap photo section. The only trick is to tie the legs in at the right places. A drop of super glue at the joints makes positioning the legs after tying them in easier, and bullet proofs the fly. ;)

Back