If money was an object where would you go?

All this and weiner schnitzel too, not for me, looks like they are fishing in ditches is some of the photos?? http://www.braurup.at/englisch/fischen_neu.html

The Madison fishing out of West Yellowstone. I made the mistake of vacationing there for two weeks and didn't fish. Never again. My wife had to scrub the drool off the rental car when we returned it.

When I went we flew to Salt Lake from Philly for $200. Split the rental car bill, probably $200 apiece, Use a guide for a day then fish on your own. That's another $100 - $150. I rented a two room three bed suite for about $130 a day. I'm guessing about $75 for a license. Add food, gas, etc. Probably about $1500 each.

I would have to say with money being an option I personally would go to Vermont or Maine. I've been able to fly fish a couple areas in Vermont and the White is one of my favorite rivers anywhere. It's nothing to go up there and catch a 18"+ Wild Rainbow and 18"+ Smallmouth all in the same day. Then in Maine you've got stripers in the bays, smallmouth all through the big rivers, and salmon and trout scattered throughout much of the northern and western part of the state. I think you could go to either place, hire a guide for 1 day to learn a couple of things and not spend more than $700-800 round trip. Now for me I'd rough it and go camping, cook streamside meals, and maybe spend $400-500, depending on whether I went with a half day or full day guide.

Others have mentioned Maine/Vermont so I'll go with the New England states. There's some great fishing up there. I've also heard good things about fishing in the Blue Ridge Mountains in VA. That shouldn't be a bad drive, which would cut down costs of airfare.

Canada, although I'm not sure where would also be a possiblity, since the dollar goes farther north of the border. Although you'd have to get passports to re-enter the US border. You could drink real Canadian beer though :-D

Tennessee has some good spots too, I've got a contact there I can ask for some information if you'd like.

Looks like the guys have given you lots of good suggestions!

Earlier this year I was up in New Hampshire on business. As usual I wrestled a few hours to stop by a local fly shop. I asked the guy there about good trout fishing in New Hampshire. He said "if you want good trout fishing go to Center County Pa, that's where I go". So much for NH. They do have some good smallie waters.

Next year I've got two great opportunities to try a couple exotic (for me) locations: Argentina and South Africa. Work is going to pick up the airfare so all I have to do is save some vacation and a pile of money to do it. I'm still researching them on that awful invention called the internet but it will no doubt bust a $1500 budget.

One question though, are trout native anywhere in the southern hemisphere?

A few of you guys have mentioned fishing in Canada and how your dollar goes farther up there. Well, I just returned from Nova Scotia last week, and I thought I'd mention that our dollar has also taken a beating against the canadian dollar. We only got $1.03 canadian for every american dollar. I was also told that a few days before we got there, it had dropped to even exchange.
And things are definitely more expensive north of the border.
Gas was $1.10 litre, which comes out to near $5 dollars a gallon I believe. It costs $25 to fill my wife's small car here, and it cost $40 bucks up there.
I couldn't get a 1 or 3 day non-resident license in nova scotia, had to get a 7 day for $55 - and I only fished 1 day (this was a family vacation). So, you may want to consider this if going that way - I would fish in Maine personally, things are a lot more reasonable there

My last trip out west, a buddy and I fished the San Juan river for a week in October. We found round trip airfare to Alburqueque for like $200. We camped at a nice place right on the river, grilled steaks and had plenty of beer every night. Total cost came in at around $500 each - great deal!

I am kinda surprised folks have been recommending the New England states and that no one has mentioned British Columbia.

I don't know much about New England fly-fishing except the obvious. more research to be done

British Columbia seems to be awesome. Sea run cutts and possibly dry-flies for steelhead. how can you not like

I appreciate the responces. I have been to YNP area several times so probably looking for a place I have never been before.
but you really can't go wrong there
THANKS.

I'd take a trip on the Durango / Sliverton rail road in colorado. Have the train drop you on the Animus River camp and fish. Then I'd drive to fish the San Juan for a day or two

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/animas.html

http://www.durangotrain.com/about/wilderness.htm

I would also suggest the PROVO river in UTAH. Flights to Salt Lake are cheap.

BRUNO- actually have been in Durango area. I took a week long backpacking trip up the Vallecito creek drainage about 10 years ago. It is over the next mountain range from Durango. Awesome scenery. Too bad it pored for the entire time I was on the trip. Backpacking is no fun in a week long downpour trudging through a constant 5 inch mud puddle that is disgused as a trail.

Maybe 2 years from now I will hit it again along with the San Juan.

Gone4Day wrote:
One question though, are trout native anywhere in the southern hemisphere?

Not that I know of, but these are considered a "native trout" in New Zealand.

http://www.gw.govt.nz/story10799.cfm

Boyer

Not sure about everyone else but the chance at a 20 lb plus brown is too tantalizing to pass up for me. I'd be headin down to the white/red river system in Arkansas. It's hard to argue with a 40 lb brown world record. Though I know the secret to landing a 20 lb brown trout.

HOOK 20 OF EM!

I know you prefer trout and salmon, but we used to do a week in the keys for between 700 and 1000 bucks for a week. Tarpon seem like they might be fun, and they should be thick with them by then. If not you have sea trout, ladyfish, jacks, billfish, grouper(although probably not on fly gear), barracuda, like 50 species of snapper, shark, bonefish, reds, snook, permit pompano, and would be witness to one of the largest bikini hatches known to man. It's probably not what your looking for, but it doesn't get any easier than "drive south on 95 until you run out of continent, then take a left." :lol: You can use the remaining money to hire a guide or 2. Just a thought.

Boyer

Acristic,

I have a good option for ya. I have talked about doing it. Great option for the money.

I get Eastern Flyfishing magazine and in the May/June issue there is an add for an outfitter in Montana. Here are the details:

Bighorn Angler - www.bighornangler.com
Bighorn Fly Fishing Special $795 per person, dbl occ.
- 4 nights lodging
- all meals included
- 3 days guided float trips

406-666-2233

Ft. Smith, MT

Sounds like a good deal to me........I have never seen montana any cheaper than that, and you will have plenty of seed money left over for the next trip.

I hope this helps.

Tight Lines.......

Flybum

Given your budget, constraints (no camping being the biggest) and requirements (big fish):

Au Sable/Manitsee Michigan
Kennebec, Maine

With money and lodging being your biggest obsticle, I would suggest Maine or the Smokies. The rangley lakes area in Maine is wonderful. Rapid River is one of your best chances on the east coast for large Brookies. 4 and 5 lbs is not uncommen. There is also plenty of back country streams in the area and wildlife is abundant. Its the only place I've seen a bear, moose, and bald eagle in the same day. You also have the choice of going after some smallies too. If youve never been to the smokies that is also a good choice. The cabin I stayed in was 750 a week and could hold at least 4 guys. The area I stayed in was not one of the more popular areas but there were plenty of streams and I only came across one other person the whole week. Where I was was about 40 minutes from any of the big rivers but as far as small stream fishing goes it was great. Actually, I was only 25 minutes from the Cherokee reservation, there is a larger river there.

I've fished in Maine and it was great, but went over to Nova Scotia and didnt fish. I would go back there to fish (Nova Scotia) its wild and beautiful.

Back