ID Help Please

So I'd like to know when color doesn't matter anymore. Who made that declaration? I'd like to see someone catch a sulphur on a male hendrickson pattern. Oh it could happen on a freestone stream where both bugs hatch, but if the trout are keyed in on one mayfly it does matter.
Size includes the body proportions as well as length. Color is what a trout sees from where it is in relation to the fly. There are often times many refusals to flies that are otherwise very attractive patterns, the trout will rise and give it a look but drop down without taking the fly because it just doesn't look right.
It can be the shade of the color that causes the refusal. The underside of mayflies in particular, vary greatly from the back of the fly, it may not even be the same color. Next time you hold a mayfly in your hand take a good look at it, making close inspection of the underside compared to the back, on most mayflies there is a discernible difference in color., If you tie the fly to the color of the back you may be tying it in the wrong color. On flies it is less so, but they do differ.
While I’ll admit that what is seen by a trout from the bottom of a stream is going to be different from what we see, there can be no doubt that trout see a different color when they see a fly close up.
As to the fly pictured in the original post it will go with some form of Paralept.

Chaz, I wouldn't go as far as saying color doesn't matter at all. It's just that, personally, I rank it behind a number of other factors. Size and floating characteristics, mainly.

Lots of very good fishermen can cover virtually everything with various imitations of the Adams family.

Back