I WANT TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCE PURCHASING GUIDE SERVICES!!

StreamerEater wrote:
Background Info: Okay, so to start us off, can you tell me a little about yourself....How old are you? What region do you live in? How often do you fish?

Question #1: Tell me about the last time you purchased fly-fishing guide services...

Question #2: What tools or services did you use to evaluate the guide before purchasing their services?

Question #3: Did you experience any problems in the purchase process?

Question #4: What could be done to improve the purchase process?

Middle aged guy in SCPA who fishes about once a week, usually close to home.

1. Last guide I "purchased" was in Maine about three years ago.
2. I used word of mouth from a relative and internet info.
3. No problems - service was excellent (as has been the case with almost every guide I have utilized).
4. I don't know - can't think of any from my experience.

I will add my 2 cents. Have hired guides and have guided for 16 seasons. Full time gig the the last 3 seasons. Much to small of a market for an app or any real service. This is a market within a niche market. The fly fishing world is very small in the scheme of the overall outdoor market. On the other hand if this was to be extended from not only fly fishing but also into hunting and other fishing guides then you may have a winner.

dkile wrote:.

The questions are for people who have used a guide service. You should read the request. No need to make several posts all over the thread with opinions of something you never have used or clearly never will because your above it. Streameater is just looking for some help on some friendly information.

I think guides are great for the right situations for the right person.

I hope (and think) that I'm not included in that group.

No, I don't use guides, but not because I think I'm above anybody else. Actually, I am somewhere between optimistic amateur and knowing just enough to know how much I still don't know. I am quite sure that my success would go way up with a guide. But I don't use one for a couple of reasons.... I am actually uncomfortable with other people "taking care of me" or "doing things for me", just the opposite of thinking I'm better than somebody else. Secondly, I usually prefer to fish my own way, at my own pace. And yes, if you read between the lines, that usually means "and catching less fish than anybody around me". :-o

I agree, guides are very useful for the right person. That person just doesn't happen to be me.

And I'm hoping that I gave him useful and constructive info, even as a non-user.

Paraleptalata wrote:

I will add my 2 cents. Have hired guides and have guided for 16 seasons. Full time gig the the last 3 seasons. Much to small of a market for an app or any real service. This is a market within a niche market. The fly fishing world is very small in the scheme of the overall outdoor market. On the other hand if this was to be extended from not only fly fishing but also into hunting and other fishing guides then you may have a winner.

Valuable insight from somebody who is actually in the field. It's interesting to hear both sides of the equation.

To the OP,
I'd love to hear about your 'bad experience'. Was it regarding the actual guide, the guide research process, the payment process or something else?

As far as research, there's a few ways I'd suggest. First is a message board / forum such as this. You can ask others about experiences they've had with a specific guide or outfitter. Secondly, Google, Yelp and other review sites. Search out the guide, check reviews, etc. Third is an Orvis search. If the guide is affiliated or appointed with Orvis, clients often leave feedback / honest reviews.

You would research a new mechanic, a dentist or a contractor. I think it's pretty similar.

I have very little experience fishing with guides. One of them was on the very remote Akway River in Alaska. He was primarily a moose and bear hunter who also spin fished for salmon.

He never pretended to be anything other than a jet boat operator to take us where we wanted to fish. He knew nothing about fly fishing.

I fish with guides on the Frying Pan River in Colorado. I know that I can catch a 10 pound trout there, but haven't yet. My mother still lives in Aspen. The Frying Pan River is a great place to fish.

I once was roommates with a guide on the middle Delaware River who primarily fished the shad and striped bass runs. I went on a lot of trips with him just to explore new water and try different tackle techniques.

When I am fishing with a guide on the Frying Pan River, I want them to help me with my fly casting since I know that I am average at best.

I've used the services of a guide once, and it was Tom Doman, Penns Creek Guides. He's a forum member on here, not sure what name he goes by.

I first spoke to him in person at a fly fishing show because I wanted to know it was someone that I could have a decent day with even if the fishing was slow (i.e not a jerk, not Type A, but willing to help, etc). I then reviewed his website.

It was mainly because I had never fished there and was before I joined this forum, and in hindsight, we did just go to one of the more popular areas but he did help me with a number of techniques that I use to this day. Was an enjoyable day, he packed a pretty impressive stream side lunch and he even stayed longer than 8 hours because fishing was slow, only to be "saved" by the evening spinnerfall!

Couldn't recommend a better guide for that part of the state, if you don't have anyone else to show you around.

I know how to fly fish , so my two reasons for hiring a guide when I was in Montana was to , minimize the trial and error of what fly to use...and were to fish, all guides have a handful of hot spots

Back