I survived!

wbranch

wbranch

I couldn't find my original thread on my hip replacement surgery. I had it yesterday and everything went very well. Actually I was told by a nurse I would go home today which is very unusual. However when my surgeon's PA came in this morning he told me my hemoglobin numbers were way down. Normal low would be 15, I'm only 7.9.i was anemic coming in to the surgery. I lost about one unit of blood. One more day of observation is good. Better to be here if a situation arises than being at home

Last edited:
Congratulations!! My "new" hip celebrated its 1 year birthday two months ago!!

FWIW - I was discharged the day after my surgery which is the norm for the surgeon I used. They all do different things and have different ideas but as long as the outcome is good they're all correct!!

Good luck with the new hardware!!

Congratulations!! My "new" hip celebrated its 1 year birthday two months ago!!

FWIW - I was discharged the day after my surgery which is the norm for the surgeon I used. They all do different things and have different ideas but as long as the outcome is good they're all correct!!

Good luck with the new hardware!!
Thanks, if my hemoglobin would of been normal I would of gone home.

Glad your surgery was a success. Hope you are on the water again soon.

I gave up "running" after my hip replacement but I do a 2 -3 brisk walk every single day.

My surgeon takes issues with other surgeons who make claims that a replacement joint will be as good as the one you were born with and I concur.

I'm not going to take the chance of wearing out the replacement by running or doing stupid stuff I don't have to for exercise.

Great news, Matt. Godspeed on your recovery to get you back on or in the water.

Great news, Matt. Go eat some spinach..

The more people having success, the more likely i'll actually have mine looked at. Happy for you.

Congrats. Adhere to the PT schedule and you'll be as mobile as ever in a short amount of time and back out fishing.

I gave up "running" after my hip replacement...

I gave it up after getting hit by a K5 Blazer. It really left a mark ... on the Blazer. But it was when I decided that running was bad for the health.

I have an appointment with an orthopedic, on Thursday. Still holding out hope that I won't need the surgery... yet.

Congrats Matt! Hopefully you are able to gingerly hobble into the boat and catch the end of the summer sulphurs.

No salsa dancing for 6 months!

I gave up "running" after my hip replacement but I do a 2 -3 brisk walk every single day.

My surgeon takes issues with other surgeons who make claims that a replacement joint will be as good as the one you were born with and I concur.

I'm not going to take the chance of wweearing out the replacement by running or doing stupid stuff I don't have to for exercise.
I had my left hip replacement in December of 2013. My surgeon never made any claims that it would be as good as when I was born. However it really is fantastic. I have great range of motion and can easily cross my legs and bend. I have never had any pain. My surgeon used the anterior approach. He prefers it. I healed well and my scar is only about 4" long. Not that it matters. I had them done at OSS in York. I

Great to hear things are going well for you. Wishing you the best on your recovery and getting back at it!!

I had two 15 minute sessions of PT today. Some hurt but I promised myself I would suck it up and be a good patient. I'm whipped now and planning to be asleep in 5 minutes.

Congratulations, Matt!!

The more people having success, the more likely i'll actually have mine looked at. Happy for you.
If you are having issues and chronic pain I would recommend you seeing an orthopedic surgeon. I surgery only takea about an hour and a half. I feel the wound is painful but if you do the PT it will help mitigate the pain in conjunction with proper use of pain meds you will be up and around in about a month or maybe even sooner.

Back