I pulled the trigger,New Nymphing Rod, need assistance...

jwatts

jwatts

I have always been intrigued my Nymphing, I play around with it on a 6wt 8'6" rod. Today I purchased my first Cabelas CZN Nymphing rod in a 4wt 10'
I know some people will scoff at a cabelas rod but with raising 2 little kiddos moneys always an object. At $200 for this rod I was hesitating on buying it but I bit the bullet. In your guys opinion, what would be the best way to set this up? I could use some assistance on nymphing too, I am new to this. Any help woul be greatly appreciated, thank you

dude, good for you. I am no comp guy but from what I have seen from Becker you're gonna need to get used to handling a long leader and heavyish flies. I watched him high stick and the biggest thing I learned was managing your line depth and speed through the run you are working. I would suggest you get used to "ticking" the bottom of the run with your flies. I have experimented with several different rigs and often I do not tie on a sighter or anything like that but you can and it definitely helps. I can also tell you that when you can't swing up steelhead with a streamer this method is VERY effective when working a funnel where the fish have to come through. keep working on it and learn to "FEEL" the bottom and the stirke. It's my least favorite way to FF but it is probably my most productive. Have fun with you're new rig I have a 10' 4wt and it definitely is a versatile tool and can be a lot of fun! Hope that helps.

Hey, nothing wrong with cabelas, they do some nice stuff.

As long as you can get out on the water and catch fish, that's the main thing.

I'd recommend the Dynamic Nymphing book for pointers .

I use straight 6 foot of 3x to a 2mm tippet ring then 2ft of 5x to the nymph.

The indicator goes above the tippet ring and a non toxic shot goes 6" above the fly.

That's my most basic set up, and that's what I'd start with.

Have fun.

geebee wrote:
Hey, nothing wrong with cabelas, they do some nice stuff.

As long as you can get out on the water and catch fish, that's the main thing.

I'd recommend the Dynamic Nymphing book for pointers .

I use straight 6 foot of 3x to a 2mm tippet ring then 2ft of 5x to the nymph.

The indicator goes above the tippet ring and a non toxic shot goes 6" above the fly.

That's my most basic set up, and that's what I'd start with.

Have fun.

+1

"Dynamic Nymphing" is a book written by George Daniels, one of the most accomplished competition anglers in the US. He covers all techniques for nymphing in the book, not just comp techniques.

Reading his book and practicing the techniques, casting and even fly selection he writes about will go a long way to help you become successful a successful nympher.

Enjoy your new rod!

I have a 10'-4wt and love it. It adds a whole new dynamic to being able to reach across seams to run a drift. Great advise above GD is a great choice to check out. Check out the newbie jam in the events section to see if you can make it, you'll be light years ahead if you can.

great, thanks again guys. Some great info here. I cant wait to get out there. I feel kinda guilty about saying this but I purchased a Cabelas wind river reel for it also,My reasoning is I have had a wind river for 5 yrs. and never had a prob with it and they seem to get good reviews on cabelas website. The gentleman at the Cabelas Hamburg,Pa. store Said it would be ok. He even gave me a little crash coarse on how not to really tighten the drag real hard because theres a washer that can crush in there. The guys there seem very nice and informative. I need to buy backing and fly line for it soon,Is there any fly line I should deffietly get or stay away from? Thanks again guys

Congrats on your new rod. It will work fine. I use anything from a 10' 4wt to a 6' 2wt depending on the stream. You'll want to use tippet size and length commensurate with the water level and clarity.

Like the others suggested, check out the book and intro board. You can probably google it to and find some videos.

Definitely pick up Dynamic Nymphing as others have said. If you do a quick YouTube search for George Daniels fly fishing, there are some good informative videos there also.

You should check out one of the upcoming fly fishing shows. They have great seminars from some amazing anglers. I know George Daniels, joe humphries, Eric stroup, and many other excellent nymph fishermen will be doing talks at the Lancaster show. A perfect opportunity to pick up a book and ask them questions all in the same day.

I also have that rod and love it. I don't know where in nepa you live but I think Aaron Jasper is going to be at the Broadhead TU chapter meeting in Feb. Check The TU site to make sure. If he is, go and listen, to his talk.
As others have said above, George Daniels book is a good one to get. Also Somerset fly show is going to be the week of the 24th. You can check out a lot of stuff there too.
Bill

The great thing about GD's book is it isn't strictly competition fishing. It goes over everything you need to know on nymphing. You learn something new everytime you read it. The 10' 4 will not only help you with your high sticking, but your indicator fishing as well. Enjoy.

I've just started using RIO's European Nymphing Line (Cortland also makes a dedicated line, in 160gr and 140gr weights) with my Hardy Zenith 10' 3wt. The line is mostly a response to recent competition rule changes on leader length, but it also has some significant advantages compared with a traditional fly line...

It's very thin diameter and very lightweight... this improves your ability to hold the line off the water at a distance (avoiding line sag/belly) from line weight and wind which improves your capability for a drag free drift. In comparison to very long monofilament leaders it has very little memory and is easy to see. Also, unlike a conventional fly line, it doesn't tend to fall down (backwards) through the guides (which is a pain in the ***, and happens more frequently because you are holding the rod high when nymphing)

You can also use a substantially shorter leader with these lines than you would with a typical euro nymphing setup. I'm currently using 3' 20lb Maxima Chameleon, 2' 15lb, 1' 10lb, and 1' of 8# hi vis, with a short section of 6# terminating in a tippet ring. This is based on what I've picked up... I need more time to decide if it's right, or even necessary. I'm pretty sure performance would be perfectly acceptable with short section of level mono + tippet. The tip of the RIO line is hi-vis and can serve as all the indicator you need.

The nymphing lines have just enough weight to toss a dry/dry-dropper setup at the distances you would typically fish in competition (less than 40'). My limited experience is with the Rio variety, but from what I've read, the Cortland line in 160gr might be a better choice for your particular rod, as the CZN 4wt is a bit stiffer action.

I have two reels (The Okuma SLV 4/5 is hard to beat for $42). I used the 4/5 to help balance the rod, and for a bit faster retrieve. Because the nymphing line is such small diameter, I was able to put an entire 100yd spool of 30# backing on and could probably stand to put at least another 50yds on. My second reel is spooled with a conventional fly line in 3wt, double taper. That's what I use when I plan to do predominately dry fishing, or fishing beyond 40'.

Casting is more of a lob/fling. You use the soft flexible tip to do the work, and the trick is just getting it loaded up. It doesn't take long to figure it out enough to be effective. It might take a while to make it look pretty.

Good info on the dedicated lines, wasn't aware of that, thanks
deno

Good info on the dedicated lines, wasn't aware of that, thanks
deno

I have that same rig. Works great and I love it.
I see you're listed in NEPA I'm in Stroudsburg.
If you want to hit the water I can show what little I know.
I have really come to enjoy this type of nymphing.
Bart

Thanks bart, I may take you up on that offer. Im from the ****son city area. Maybe we can meet up someday inbetween us? Like the Lehigh in Gouldsboro or Tobyhanna creek. Thanks again, you will be hearing from me in a while.

J,

I am not too far away from you. Actually I am up your way pretty often to fish. I would be happy to show you a thing or two that I have learned.

That would also be great SBecker, I can probably use al the help I can get. I will be in touch

Jwatts, ,

Congrats on the new stick...I have a 10' 4wt Clearwater and it's my favorite rod for the Lack.

I'm up in Carbondale. My friend and I fish the Lack frequently. I you want to learn what not to do, I can help with that! :)

Back