I may have caught a state record fallfish

Nice catch Peyton! Keep on enjoying fishing the way you do! Trout schmout as I like to say.

This one was 22 inches...there are bigger but they are super fun to catch and shouldn't get the bad rap they do! Pine, Kettle, Loyalsock, Lycoming all have really big fallfish.
20200405 171155

Fall fish are chubs.
While fall fish and creek chub are both in the same family (cyprinidae) and commonly referred to as chubs they are distinctively separate species.

This one was 22 inches...there are bigger but they are super fun to catch and shouldn't get the bad rap they do! Pine, Kettle, Loyalsock, Lycoming all have really big fallfish.
View attachment 1641224551
I caught a 20" fall fish at dark on lower little pine during a heavy march brown spinner fall a number of years ago, for the first 30 seconds I thought I had a large brown on. They are a lot of fun to catch.

I got a mongo creek chub two weeks back on a streamer. It was pulling drag (yes, I took a creek chub to the reel, lol) and was every bit of 20”.
As the saying goes without a picture it's just a fish story. Many unmeasured trout are 20". Yet the tale of the tape often reveals them to be 18".

My grandparent's house is up near kettle and loyalsock, I will have to fish both of those in the summer, they are near the susky too, but I am not sure if there is fallfish in the main river.

My grandparent's house is up near kettle and loyalsock, I will have to fish both of those in the summer, they are near the susky too, but I am not sure if there is fallfish in the main river.
The nice thing about fall fish and chubs is that they will take a fly just like a trout and they are so much more tollerant of water temps and just an all around more durable fish.

I got a mongo creek chub two weeks back on a streamer. It was pulling drag (yes, I took a creek chub to the reel, lol) and was every bit of 20”. I heavily regret not taking a picture, but I thought I had caught the brown of lifetime when I saw the chub flash a bit of gold, so I was a little disappointed when it came up a chub and just unhooked it at my knees.

I had already broken my PB brown two times that day, so it was a day of large fish.

The only shad I have ever caught on a fly turned out to be a hearty chub. It was a disappointing discovery for sure.

My point exactly.
Very interesting. I always thought they were the same. Could you provide pictures of each so I could see the differences. Or perhaps a link if you don't want to pollute this forum with non game species?

I have caught many fallfish and chubs in the Susky from Duncannon all the way up to Lewisburg. I've never caught one below Harrisburg in the 30 years I have fished the lower river.

Very interesting. I always thought they were the same. Could you provide pictures of each so I could see the differences. Or perhaps a link if you don't want to pollute this forum with non game species?

above is a creek chub
below is a fallfish

I have caught many fallfish and chubs in the Susky from Duncannon all the way up to Lewisburg. I've never caught one below Harrisburg in the 30 years I have fished the lower river.
I fish right outside of Wyalusing when I fish the susky, it has some musky so not sure what they did to the fallfish.

Thanks, without closer examination the only apparent difference is the tail shape. I wonder what I have been catching all these past fifty years. Do you know if they co-mingle? The males that I catch in the spring get quite a bit of red coloration about the head area and pronounced barbels under the lower mouth region.

Thanks, without closer examination the only apparent difference is the tail shape. I wonder what I have been catching all these past fifty years. Do you know if they co-mingle? The males that I catch in the spring get quite a bit of red coloration about the head area and pronounced barbels under the lower mouth region.
I'm not sure, I always catch a good mix of them from the same holes, so I wouldn't be too surprised.

The males of both species go through significant transformation during spawning time, getting bright red in some cases and developing tubercles on their head.

One of the keys features of creek chub is a dark dot at the leading edge of the dorsal fin.

If your interested in fish id I recommend picking up Pennsylvania fishes by D. Fischer, J. Stauffer and R Criswell.

Its the most comprehensive ichthyology book for pa fishes

The males of both species go through significant transformation during spawning time, getting bright red in some cases and developing tubercles on their head.

One of the keys features of creek chub is a dark dot at the leading edge of the dorsal fin.

If your interested in fish id I recommend picking up Pennsylvania fishes by D. Fischer, J. Stauffer and R Criswell.

Its the most comprehensive ichthyology book for pa fishes
Here is a male in spawning colors. This one is like a purple color. Very odd. I've seen some that look almost like a rainbow trout being so pink. The one in this picture is around 18 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_135539_432.jpg
    IMG_20200706_135539_432.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 44
Back