I made that cast...

David

David

What was the best cast you’ve made to catch a trout?

I got a good one here. Fishing my trout magnet fly (own creation) missed a nice fish. Saw him then swim into the drum of a old washing machine. Had to then cast about 30 feet and get fly to drop into washing machine barrel without getting snag. Boom what do you know pull out a 16 in brown trout. Thanks to the smooth edging on top I was able to pull him out of his non traditional lie. From then on I have always made casts at tires etc. but have never replicated that catch.

Mine was unintentional, many years ago fishing lower Spruce Creek I saw a trout rising under a log that was about a foot above the water. I cast to it but too far and the fly went over the log and dangles a second, before I could flip it back the trout jumped a half a foot and ate the dangling fly. I set the hook and the smallish trout flipped up over the log. I bet it was as surprised as I was.

Floggingtrout wrote:
I got a good one here. Fishing my trout magnet fly (own creation) missed a nice fish. Saw him then swim into the drum of a old washing machine. Had to then cast about 30 feet and get fly to drop into washing machine barrel without getting snag. Boom what do you know pull out a 16 in brown trout. Thanks to the smooth edging on top I was able to pull him out of his non traditional lie. From then on I have always made casts at tires etc. but have never replicated that catch.
Sounds like you're fishing the Elkhorn in WV, with that kind of habitat. :-D

I once caught a trout that was hanging out in an old wood stove that was in Little Buffalo Creek. Drifted a black bugger down and right in front of the stove, he charged out and grabbed it. He was small enough that I could keep him from going back in the stove.

Fishing with DaveS on the Yough one time. We pulled over to let 30-40 rafts go by. While standing there, we noticed a fish feeding tight to the bank. After the rafts passed, we rowed the boat across and got in position above the fish. I had to put the fly 35'-40' and drop it between the bank and a branch sticking out of the river. It was maybe a 8" gap. Dropped it right on the mark. The fish blasted it and immediately jumped over the branch, into the current which broke me off. While b*tching and tying on new tippet, Dave says "there's a second fish there!". I re-rigged, made the cast right on the money again and the fish took. This time the fish went under the branch but I stuffed the rod tip into the water and swept it under the branch. Landed a solid 19" - 19.5" bow. Solid oar work, anchoring and netting by Dave.

I made that cast...... twice. LoL

Very similar waterway here in pa. Pretty cool how that river was stocked with a broken down hatchery truck in wv

Beat this one…I once cast a size 28 Trico directly into the open mouth of a 26 inch limestone spring Brown from 45 feet, whilst it was rising to intercept a natural in the surface film…

This thread kinda reminds me of a golf story an old pro at a course I used to play used to tell…”I once had a hole in one on a 240 yard par 3. I knew I could only hit my 1 iron 220, so I timed it so that my shot bounced off the sprinkler head in the fringe short of the green, as the sprinkler head was coming up, propelling my ball the additional 20 yards directly into the cup.”

On a serious note...I once caught a nice Redbreast that lived in a sunken tire. I never pass up a cast over a tire now.

Not really a specific cast but have always enjoyed bouncing ants and other terrestrials off of grass clumps to target trout up against the banks. Works well, except when the wind blows just a bit or the cast is just barely too far, and the fly gets snagged :(

Since I have been fishing out my kayak allot lately I am sometimes amazed by the casts I am able to make while sitting . Learning how to cast while sitting has definitely improved my casting skills while standing. If your felling froggy one day try casting while sitting in a beach chair and you will have a idea on what new challenges you face trying to cast off your butt.

How 'bout connecting on your backcast!

While fishing the upper Lehigh River I was casting to rising fish in front of me.

On a cast I picked up my fly to recast at the same time a small creek chub hit and I launched the little guy into a small plunge pool behind me.

My rod bent and I was hooked into a 16 or 17" brown that I landed with my fly in his mouth and still attached to the chub.

Lucky the river isn't an ALO reg in that section!

through the culvert, under the road, into the light on the other side so the dryfly can drift back into the culvert.

In the float tube i have done the back cast thing several times. I also second Fred's learning to cast from way down low theory. Actually taught a friend to fix his back cast by putting him into a tube.

Maurice wrote:
Mine was unintentional, many years ago fishing lower Spruce Creek I saw a trout rising under a log that was about a foot above the water. I cast to it but too far and the fly went over the log and dangles a second, before I could flip it back the trout jumped a half a foot and ate the dangling fly. I set the hook and the smallish trout flipped up over the log. I bet it was as surprised as I was.

Not a fly fishing story but similar. Many years ago I tossed a soft plastic with my baitcaster targeting spring bass that congregate around the islands in the Juniata to spawn. Well, I casted over a high limb and my plastic hit the water. The like was maybe 15 feet high. A bass about 18" attacked the plastic and I had him hooked. I slowly reeled in line and got catch and release him and I was still over than dang branch.

Caught a trout out of some bed springs. Someone threw them in a creek in Edinborough near the college.GG

Slow day on Spring Creek once about 10 years ago at the Benner hatchery outflow pipe there was a nice brown right up against the pipe where the water was flowing out back into the creek.

I tried casting a sucker spawn into the pipe to let it drift back out to where the trout was- took a few casts and I think a spooked it a time or two but was able to get the junk fly into the pipe and had it drift back out. The first drift where the fly made it in and out of the pipe the trout took it. Thrilled that it broke skunk and made a slow day a little happier.

Last year I was fishing a small stream in the Laurel Highlands when I noticed a fish consistently rising in front of a boulder that stuck out from the bank. I snuck up directly behind the boulder but could no longer see the fish rise since the rock was blocking my view. But I was able to hear the fish slurp and saw rise forms ripple out toward the center of the stream. So I knew it was still feeding. I threw a sidearm cast and checked it hard to throw a hook into the line. Couldn't see the fly but guessed it landed in the feeding lane since the line was floating downstream. I heard a splash, set the hook and bingo. Brought a nice foot-long wild brownie to hand. It was one of those catches that'll stick with me 'til I'm gone from this earth. And probably even after that. :)

Two casts come to mind—same set up and same result. One under a branch on the far side of Spring Creek and one behind a sweeper on the Bitterroot. Sight a nice sipping trout, a long uncharacteristic well placed cast, a dramatic take, an overly agressive hookset, and the break off of a real nice fish. I swear I heard the tippet snap.

When I was a youngster there was a Trophy section of water that You were not allowed to wade so I had to cast over, around, under all the trees and brush along the creek. I made some crazy bent over side armed roll casts.

About 15 years ago on Ridley Creek in Delaware County I was fishing a stretch between the lower parking lot and the bridge. I was fishing on the right side just past the parking lot pool headed toward the bridge. On the left side close to the bank I saw a fish make several sipping rises; presumably to some terrestrial. I saw no other way to make a good cast other than to use my left hand. I am right handed. Long story short using my left hand I concentrated on my mechanics and made a beautiful cast of an ant. The cast landed perfectly about a 12-18" in front of the fish. I got a drag free float and the fish took it. I was rewarded with a nice rainbow of about 16".
It's wonderful when a plan comes together.

Last summer. Picked out a riseform in the foam of a small eddy, under a low hanging branch, on the far side of some very fast, deep water.
I believe someone said it was impossible.

Ha.
Fish On!

Back