"I have to tie this fly"

wgmiller

wgmiller

How many of you, upon seeing a fly in a magazine (or elsewhere), procure the materials to tie said fly, only to find that you don't like it, it doesn't work well or simply don't use it? Then you find out that you've got a specialty material or a material that doesn't have an everyday use filling your inventory. So continues the cycle of acquiring fishing 'stuff' and the house starts to fill...

I've found myself staring at a few flies lately and wondering if this is a common 'problem'? :-D

Anyone have any good stories about this situation?

The most enjoyable part for me is going in the face of the "buy this!" crap from the FF mags, and using materials I already have to do the job. With a little creativity, and a decent supply of a wide range of generic materials, rarely do you have to go buy something for a single pattern.

wg - Jay has the most incredible scud body material - I am sure he will sell you some.

wgmiller wrote:
How many of you, upon seeing a fly in a magazine (or elsewhere), procure the materials to tie said fly, only to find that you don't like it, it doesn't work well or simply don't use it? Then you find out that you've got a specialty material or a material that doesn't have an everyday use filling your inventory. So continues the cycle of acquiring fishing 'stuff' and the house starts to fill...

I've found myself staring at a few flies lately and wondering if this is a common 'problem'? :-D

Anyone have any good stories about this situation?

I think you are the first to ever have this happen. No one on here has ever mentioned doing something like this. :-o

Seriously either find a buddy to split the specialty items with or substitute as Jay said.

On the other hand the specialty items themselves sometime work as great substitutes on the next must tie. If you need to justify buying now.

I learned to cook from watching Alton Brown. His motto is that you should never own unitaskers in your kitchen. The same applies to fly materials, IMO.

Bruno wrote:
wg - Jay has the most incredible scud body material - I am sure he will sell you some.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

(a few us regulars get this joke)

I look forward to tying on Jay's famous scud at the JAM.

I think I signed up for a patented big bugger, but I might change my mind. Depends on the flows. I am concerned that you fairies won't fish the bugger.

I know it may cut into most everyone's drinking time... but I wouldn't mind fishing at night for an hour or 2 with some large streamers.

Drinking and fishing are two circles in a venn diagram. There is common ground in the middle.

Ya I dont see how there is any reason why you cant drink and fish? I do it all the time.

Two beers an hour improves my wading ability as it makes my legs more limber. On the other hand, more than that makes the streambed limber, and that can be a problem.

ryguyfi wrote:
Bruno wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

(a few us regulars get this joke)

I look forward to tying on Jay's famous scud at the JAM.

Do not lick your fingers while using that dubbing. Just sayin'.
eck15.gif

The only time I buy materials is when I use a fly first hand and have success.

For me, I feel that some materials are just a waste. But I am coming from the angle of one who does'nt enjoy tying that much. Sometimes I really enjoy it but most times I am just happy when it's over.

The first one that stamped it's indeible mark on me was the bead head green caddis larva when I crushed them on it. Ran out and bought those materials asap.

Few more have proved invaulable since that first taste and required immediate purchase.

As for aformentioned material I could guess it would contain pubic hair. yuck

I am 25% bear. I don't suspect that it's pubic hair, but I make no guarantees. It is most likely upper body hair, as I have plenty of it. The lint trap decides the dubbing mix, not me.

The main thing is: dont buy a lot of materials for one application, ie: calf hair, snowshoe foot, polypro yarn all for posts/wings - get one that you like and stick with it. I kind of went through some trial and error with wings and posts, and unless I want to tie a classic catskill dry fly pattern, I use poly pro yarn for all mayfly wings/posts. It is amazing stuff and super easy to tie with. I tried showshoe for a #18 baetis emerger last night and almost blew my brains out - the polypro is just so much easier. I try not to by based on pattern, but based on species, and then just switch color.

I get caught more than the fish do by tying the next great thing. I have tube flies, monster streamers, bait fish flies, ect ect ect.

The one good thing about this is that I do get to learn different ways and styles of tying. I may never use them but they were fun to tie.

by jayL on 2010/3/15 17:13:46

I am 25% bear. I don't suspect that it's pubic hair, but I make no guarantees. It is most likely upper body hair, as I have plenty of it. The lint trap decides the dubbing mix, not me.

rofl.

Tis topic is near and dear , i look at the "stuff i've amassed and have to question my own sanity.

A couple of the materials that I "had to have" but rarely use are all the different shades of krystal flash, some of the expensive streamer materials, swiss straw, and rubber legs.

However, I think a lot of money can be wasted in getting specialized hooks. They are expensive and very limitting on what they can do.

I think this would constitute my golden pheasant cape, rubber legs, various hooks, several different yarns, and odd colored hackles, marabou, and dubbing. Over the last year or so, I've gotten into the "if it looks close, use it" mentality. It has lead to me being able to use up some of the fore-mentioned materials.

Back