I build landing nets, & this is my favorite one of the year.

Tina Lewis

Tina Lewis

I am a PA Woodworker out of the Philly region. This is my first post actually. Let me know what you all would think is cool to show and talk about. Happy to answer any questions if y'all are looking to build your own. The idea was to put an artisanal grip onto the landing net so I hand-drew a Brown Trout pattern and cut it out to make a grip. This is a Walnut, Cherry, and hickory model I call the Fat Jake.

1grass trout handle Handcrafted custom Wooden trout Flyfishing Landing net usa engraved
Production walnut  a custom handcrafted Wooden trout Flyfishing Landing net madeinusa hanging
Production walnut ld Custom handcrafted Wooden trout Flyfishing Landing net usa butt
Close trout handle Handcrafted custom Wooden trout Flyfishing Landing net usa engraved
Grassagain Handcrafted custom Wooden trout Flyfishing Landing net usa engraved
Square full Handcrafted custom Wooden trout Flyfishing Landing net usa engraved 1

Very cool, work of art

I’ve previously seen your work on another site I visit, quite nice. What is the approx overall dimensions on this one?

i love it. very very nice! i have often thought about building my own net. i have about 10 years in carpentry experience which would help out alot. building my own net is on my to do list.

i was thinking of making a black walnut and maple net. i have a bunch of slabs from a sawmill that i bought a while back. they have been aging/drying out in my shed for the last 1.5 years. figure i would rip them down, then build a jig for the bending and glueing part. i just havent had the time to really dive into it. but definetly may try this winter.

great work on your net! it looks great.

Pretty impressive. I'm lucky even to be able to use a net, let alone try to make one. It must be nice to have talent!

Beautiful work of art Tina.

I would more likely buy one of these than build... something small light and cool looking for those 6-9 inch brookies would be cool.

Thanks! did anyone ever do a tutorial on here? Might be fun
I haven't seen a tutorial, but would be interested in seeing one. As some one with only a small bit of experience in woodworking, i find the process interesting. Thanks for the pictures of the net in process. Seeing your net progressing through the bending forms and the bandsaw finishing is interesting. And the finished product looks great. The artisanal grip is definitely attractive and not something that you see on the mass produced nets. Very cool idea.

I would more likely buy one of these than build... something small light and cool looking for those 6-9 inch brookies would be cool.
I make a net I call the Little Dipper. If you want some information on it just shoot me a msg

i love it. very very nice! i have often thought about building my own net. i have about 10 years in carpentry experience which would help out alot. building my own net is on my to do list.

i was thinking of making a black walnut and maple net. i have a bunch of slabs from a sawmill that i bought a while back. they have been aging/drying out in my shed for the last 1.5 years. figure i would rip them down, then build a jig for the bending and glueing part. i just havent had the time to really dive into it. but definetly may try this winter.

great work on your net! it looks great.
Get after it!

I’ve previously seen your work on another site I visit, quite nice. What is the approx overall dimensions on this one?
This is the Fat Jake with a ling handle. That is an 18 " handle but some folks do 10" The hoop is 16 by 13

Back