I am in the market for a new rod

F

Flydog

Any thoughts on Scott rods?

They were showing them off at a local shop one day..I thought they cast very accurately but not so much for much distance...they were however, overpriced in my opinion.

Throwing small dries G2, big water the new S4 (overpriced), best all around in my opinion is the A2 (under $300). Depends where you want to use it.

When you say they are overpriced....are not of the same quality as other rods in the same price range? Or just a lot of money?

both, not as good quality and over priced for what they are made of

He's correct but I was just referring to price vs. performance.

I have owned the G2 7'7" 4 pc for 2+ years and it is the best rod I have ever used. I also have a 6'6" F series 2 wt and it is also great. Other rods I have used are Winston WT, Orvis Superfine, St. Croix Legend. Scott's are not cheap, but few things this great are.

I have had 2 Alphas. I liked them both. I like the A2 as well, especially for the price. Needs an update, though. Still, a better rod than the P.O.S. Sage FLi 8 wt that I cast last year.

I'm a fan of Scott, I just don't know how they have done well enough to keep its head above water when Powell, who built a BETTER performing rod, in my estimation, essentially disappeared. I have been underwhelmed by some of their rods. The 8 wt. E2 was a dog: too dead stiff. It may be a great rod in the 5 or 6 wt. Worth checking out. With everyone racing to make the most EXPENSIVE fly rod, if not the BEST one, Scott may be missing it's niche in the market. I don't know how you outdo Sage and Winston when they have more market share and a much greater variety of rods. I think they do well with the A2, the G2, which has a cult following, (I think it's a great rod but too expensive), a fair following for their salt water S2.5 (maybe) and their specialty 2 hand rods. They have had some real dogs, though. The S3 saltwater was here and gone in 2 or 3 years. The S3 rod was way too stiff. I don't know how they get the cash to do the heavy research the way Loomis, Sage and Orvis do. They all use some pretty cutting edge materials and new processes, so I understand. Field and Stream's quickie review of new fly rods gave the S4 a thumbs-up along with the Helios and the new St. Croix Elite.

Anymore, rods are barely differentiated from eachother. We are well into the realm of diminishing returns. Any rod from China or Korea will do as well as most Scotts will. 5-10 years ago, the American makers were spear-heading rod building technology. Now, they seem to be more boutique conversation pieces you can use to fish.

Syl

I tried out the Scott G2 and the Sage ZXL today. I was pleasantly supprised with the feel of the G2, it seemed smoother and a little less stiff.

I know go with what feels good. But there have been very few good committs on Scott.

Syl, You referenced that perhaps Scott is misiing thier niche in this market....what you think their niche is? I guess I would have the same niche question for Sage. They are the make all and do all rod company.....but what is considered their niche?

I’ve cast a few Scott rods and I wasn’t real impressed. Not real bad – not real good - just kind of dead in my hand. Everyone must judge for themselves.

Where’s Mo, he’s a Scott man. I understand, with his Scott rod, he can land his fly in a tea cup at 90’ and never cause a ripple.

I thought I had one Scott on order with a friend that has a new fly shop. That would be a 9' 4wt G2. Turns out he thinks I need a new S4 also, so I have two rods on the way.

I sold my 5wt sage (RP? RPX?), and winston IBIS. I really liked the G2. Felt there was a lot of power through the whole rod. Very controllable for mends. Sensitive tip.

I expect them both to arrive in the next few weeks.

....what you think their niche is? I guess I would have the same niche question for Sage. They are the make all and do all rod company.....but what is considered their niche?

I had said that they are barely a differentiated rod company, beyond all the spigot ferrule stuff and the "hand crafted" stuff. Why the heck, or how, could they sell a $700 fly rod right along with the Sage ZXL, Z-Axis, and all the Winstons. Globally, they should get a niche. They should fit in between the Highest levels and the lower level fly rods. Or they should soar into the stratosphere of unaffordability. People will believe their rods are better if they pay more for them and they look good. Just another $700 fly rod company with, really, how much different an action or performance edge, doesn't sound like a good survival strategy in a no longer hot market. Granted, they do have some unique fiberglass rods, the bass rods, copying Sage, for $300 more. I can't imagine that there is as much difference between Scott rods and Sage and Winstons as there is a difference between McD's, Wendy's and the King in burgers. I see another $700 fly rod and think "What the f.?!? Why would this motivate me to buy a Scott?" THat being said, I'm a fan of their company.

Syl

Back