Hyrnia operation

hunter1

hunter1

Hope this don't sound stupid.I'm in my second week of recovery after a hyrnia operation, I'm feeling pretty good. I've been doing some pan fishing from our dock . It's OK but I would like to go to the GP for fly fisshing. I'm worried abot walking in some of the water , Has anyone had this operation, and how long before you went fly fishing. Doc did say no surf fishing for a couple of more weeks. Thanks.

I had my last hernia operation while stationed out of 29 palms (Stumps) I was given 3 weeks medical leave. 2 weeks after that I was running the blacktop with my company. Of course the 1st Sgt stopped me half way through and told me to walk back to the command. I had fallen behind and was in a little pain.

I would play it safe for a few more weeks after the stitches have been removed. Take it slow, only fish in slow current for a while. If your footing gets dislodged you may twist and re-injury that area. And that would be worse than the initial surgery.

I'd stay out of the water if recuperating from any surgical procedure.

If you've really got the itch to fish wear your chest high waders and stay in very shallow water.

Stay out of the water. You use your core muscles more than you think when wading. Also, take a slip or fall and you may have another surgery.

Thanks guys. They didn't use stitches, they super glued it shut .lol But your right I'll walt another week or two and give it a try. I'll keep it safe. Thanks again and be safe.

Fishing except for food is not currently allowed now in Maryland. The Resource Police have been running people off C&R streams.

I was onstream guiding less than a week after an ambilical hernia surgery a few years back. It made wading pretty interesting. Go slow and definitely use a staff. I never use a wading staff but that first couple times back i would have been down and out without something to lean on. Pick your spots carefully

redietz wrote:
Fishing except for food is not currently allowed now in Maryland. The Resource Police have been running people off C&R streams.

Correct, I spoke with a game warden today while fishing a section of the yough. Part of me wanted to ask if I could keep fishing for smallmouth ;-)but we was a very nice guy. Still plenty of water to fish, definitely going to bring some fish home for the family.

I had my surgery on the Friday before Memorial Day and was back at work on Tuesday. No stitches, just adhesive strips. My profession does not require physical labor. On the day of surgery I found out my surgeon Tenkara fished, so I tied him a dozen flies for my follow up visit. I would not wade for two weeks minimum. No need to have the procedure repeated.

No need to temp fate on slippery rocks...........stay safe to fish another day! My 2 pennies.

P.S. I had a hernia in my 20's. Back then I would have been inclined to push the envelope...........40 years later I would advise my own kid to wait.

Ron

Thank you all. I'm retired, But I now work for the Cecil county school system, I'm a Paraproffesional , so I don't do any hard lifting. I could have returned to work a week after the operation. But the schools are closed. I'll just pan fish at our dock for now. Thanks all again.

yo hunt - good call. Second time around ain't gonna be better if you twist or tear your wound (that's what it is). Allthi's point about the use of your core muscles while wading is a good one that I haven't thought of - but as I think about it, even easy wading for several hours knocks a good pound of weight off of me. FWIW, wading very shallow (even ankle deep) water isn't that much safer than doing it in deeper water - a fall can cause you to hit an exposed rock and lose consciousness.
I know of a number of instances, including one of my favorite authors.

Definitely not trolling now about COVID, but this is a lousy time to be needing even routine hospital treatment. First of all, hospitals are full of sick people and germs, (along with all those nasty disinfectant chemicals). Secondly, you wouldn't want to be triaged with a serious but probably not life threatening issue in the middle of a horde of really sick people. Thirdly, our healthcare professionals are getting super busy as you wouldn't want to add to their load.

I'll pile on. Don't do it. I had a double h repaired and remember how quickly I was tempted to do dumb things. Even light lifting and stretching can jeopardize the healing.

I'm not doing FF . Your are all right. No need to push it. Thanks all.

Back