Hydro Fracking Trouble in Wyoming County

L

Lonewolve

This is for all the folks that think Hydro Fracking is so great. Making Pennsylvania a kill zone one well at a time.

http://wnep.com/2013/03/14/fracking-fluid-leak-in-wyoming-county/

one of many that have not been reported...

Looks to me like a near miss. Glad they got it capped and were able to prevent major spillage into streams or soil. Something to keep an eye on, thanks for the report.

Thank goodness for minor spillage.

Indeed...

"At one point 800 gallons of fluid per minute were flowing out. DEP says workers were able to contain the fracking fluid in a nearby retention pond and only a little bit got on the road."

Just curious...at 800 gpm what constitutes "only a little bit"?

TomG,
thank you my thoughts exactly, I wonder if engineers thought the same thing when pcb's got into spring creek many years ago? Any spill or trouble could be avoided if there was no Fracking. This was a major rush without enough oversight by DEP inspectors statewide. how many oppsies is it gonna take till folks realize this is no freakin good! Ahhh some will say its not happening near me that's all north or west of me, but underground aquifers don't work that way. Poop goes down hill so does pollution. If it happened near a stream or area you hunted would you care then. Should have been a serious outrage by all Pennsylvanian Outdoorsman and women when this was even introduced as a moment of brilliance.

Humans need water to survive, when the water is polluted you are out of luck.

I am not advocating "no fracking" but I am advocating being careful enough to have no accidents. And, I also advocate not minimizing the accidents by saying, "well, at least it wasn't the total disaster it might have been."

JackM wrote:
I am not advocating "no fracking" but I am advocating being careful enough to have no accidents. "

Then you are, in effect, advocating no fracking with those standards. Nothing is 100% safe.

By the way, on a year to year basis, I am pretty sure the PFBC is polluting more streams than all the fracking companies combined.

JasonS wrote:
JackM wrote:
I am not advocating "no fracking" but I am advocating being careful enough to have no accidents. "

Then you are, in effect, advocating no fracking with those standards. Nothing is 100% safe.

By the way, on a year to year basis, I am pretty sure the PFBC is polluting more streams than all the fracking companies combined.

How so? Please list the pollution discharge violations of the PF&BC vs Fracking company violations.

Hatcheries. As far as I know, no fracking companies have carte blanche to continually release polluted water into streams. Although, as I said, I'm not entirely sure about that.

Thanks for the link LW.

Fish,
you are very welcome.

Lonewolve wrote:
TomG,
thank you my thoughts exactly, I wonder if engineers thought the same thing when pcb's got into spring creek many years ago?
That would be myrexand kepone, not PCB's. While there may be PBC's in Spring Creek the whole reason for the fish kill and harvest restrictions is the 2 checmicals listed above.

Insecticides...PCBs...neither belongs in the water...nitpicking just dilutes the point.

Just curious...at 800 gpm what constitutes "only a little bit"?

For some perspective: an Olympic-size swimming pool (50 meters x 25 meters x 2 meters) contains 660,000 gallons of water. At the rate of 800 gallons per minute, the pool would take 13 hours and 15 minutes to fill.

The article doesn't say how long the incident lasted, mention how long the peak flow lasted, give an estimate of the total amount leaked, or give a figure for the amount that's likely to have escaped containment, which leaves it as a preliminary account in my view.

The other factor is the toxic contamination potential of the dumped liquid, of course. I'm not exactly sure where fracking fluid rates on that wide continuum between pavement surface runoff and, say, metam sodium. It only took 19500 gallons of metam sodium to practically sterilize 35 miles of the Sacramento River, which took many years to rebound. Fortunately, fracking fluid is closer on the scale to pavement runoff. How much closer, I don't know.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/local-news/372399/Gun-club-sues-gas-driller-over-land-use

a little more reading

JasonS wrote:
JackM wrote:

Nothing is fool proof, but there is NO reason why fracking can't have the same accident record nuclear power. 42 minor incidents and 1 'major' incident over 60 years is pretty good. I'm willing to bet that there has been more then 42 minor incidents involving fracking operation in the last 6 months.

One accident is one accident too many.

wsender wrote:

Nothing is fool proof, but there is NO reason why fracking can't have the same accident record nuclear power. 42 minor incidents and 1 'major' incident over 60 years is pretty good. I'm willing to bet that there has been more then 42 minor incidents involving fracking operation in the last 6 months.

One accident is one accident too many.
Just curious what you consider a "major" accident? By my count we've had at least 2 (Chernobyl and Fukushima), and I'm not sure TMI fits in the "minor" category. At least a fracking accident doesn't make the surrounding area uninhabitable for several centuries.

Now don't get me wrong. While I accept fracking as a necessary evil for our current energy needs, I do also believe the drillers should be regulated and monitored extensively to prevent the inevitable shortcuts that are often the cause of these accidents.

Chernobyl wasn't really an "accident", per se. Pretty intentional. But it is the only 1 that was officially rated as a 7 on the 7 point international nuclear and radiological event scale.

No containment vessel. Purposely started meltdown as an experiment. They wanted to "test" a new emergency cooling method. It's not like they thought it would work, they literally weren't sure. 4 previous tests didn't work, but they didn't think they had given it enough time to fully work. Giving it more time means going closer and closer to disaster. The risk to people's lives were considered worth the glory of Russia, so the decision was made to go forward, knowing the danger.

Three mile island wasn't anywhere near a major disaster. Rated a 5 on the official scale, but that has plenty of critics, as there were zero injuries or environmental effects. It was a near miss, but not a disaster.

Minor amount of low grade radiation released beyond containment, and most of that was contained in room temperature solids and liquids which were contained on facility grounds. Nobody recieved any more radiation than would occur in a common chest x-ray, and there have been no documented public health effects.

Fuikishima isn't rated yet. Likely to be a 6 or a 7, though. Aside from Chernobyl, which was just idiotic, Fuikishima is by far the worst true nuclear disaster outside of lab environments.

Back