Huntingdon County Trout Streams

ewall

ewall

Hi everyone!

I will be heading up to my friends cabin in Huntingdon County the weekend before New Years and was looking for some advice on some local trout streams in the small chance that I am able to get out for a couple hours. I am not certain on exactly where the cabin is but I know it is around the town of Metal and Willow Hill.

Thanks for the help!

I believe the Conococheague Creek flows right by Metal but I think that is Franklin Co. It,s a mighty fine steam

It depends on where the cabin is as Raystown Lake dominates the county and could make travel time an issue.

Spruce Creek or the Little Juniata would be my choices for winter trout. You might give the Frankstown Branch a try as well as it does tend to hold-over some trout (although it's primarily a SMB stream for me).

I've also heard the Raystown Branch of the Juniata does hold trout below the dam (some BIG trout at that), but like the Frankstown Branch, I fish it primarily for SMB during the lower summer flows. It's big water with some very deep holes. Cold weather and higher flows could make it treacherous.

At Willow Hill and Metal you're not far from Conococheague Creek and some toher good streams. The Conoco. is the only one I've fished to any extent but it can be good.

From Willow Hill it's up over the mountain at Henrys Corner to the headwatwers of Shermans creek , Perry county. also some other good ones up there........do some scouting.

Back