Huge Dam on Lower Middle Creek Lancaster County

J

JeffP

I was out running yesterday and I stopped at the bridge on Middle Creek Road. Looking upstream I was hoping to spot a trout in the clear water. When I looked upstream, there was no nice pool with riffle water leading into the bridge pool. In fact, the water was barely moving. It was a lake. As I peered downstream, I couldn't believe what I was looking at. Granted, there is a lot of slow water through that stretch but also riffles and some decent dry fly water. I ended up jogging through a farmer's field right by the house. I was actually surprised by the small size of the dam and the waterfall it produced. To be honest, I am not even sure it was man-made. I know that area has a tangle of dead trees and is to fun to wade. I didn't want to interrupt my run or get nailed for trespassing so I didn't get too close. Wonder what will happen when the next flood comes. It really has ruined a nice stretch of water and is probably a 1/4 mile long. If it was man-made, it is obviously illegal.

So was it made of trees? Is that what you are saying?

It did not look like it was just a stone dam. It could have just been a jammed up area but I find it hard to believe that natural forces were the only thing at work. I will check it out when I get a chance.

So then I'm gathering you think a farmer piled up trees and rocks there to dam up the water

I'm not sure. I was not very close to it. That's why I said I will check it out. I only ever fished once down into the area where it's dammed. There were a lot of big dead trees in the area. A lot of carp too.

Maybe the National Park Service relocated the cherry tree chewing beavers to Lancaster County.
Seriously though, I can't imagine a landowner would be allowed to block moving water without some kind of official permission.
There are fairly large rock dams the whole way down through the lower miles. Springs and a decent canopy actually improve the fishing in the lower section. There are also many large (old order and other) farms right along the stream. There are many on the site here that are familiar with this section. The lower section is stocked by Lititz Sportsman. Fish do survive the summer.

Time to fish, country style.

Back