How would a flyfisher know you were a flyfisher if they walked in your house.

Acristickid

Acristickid

I would say if you looked hard you might find bits of Maxima in almost every room in my house. Unless, you noticed my Catch and Release Wild Trout license plate in the driveway first. Can only image what were gonna get on this one.

My wife should answer this. After a weekend of cleaning, we are having guests arrive this coming weekend for two weeks, my wife pointed out that there are flies in every room of the house. Mostly ones and two but sometime full boxes. Rods: there is an 8wt on the fireplace ledge, 3wt in a case next to the living room couch. A glass in the the kitchen with a dry fly floating in it.

Fishing magazines are pretty much everywhere.

Oh, Then there is the framed etching I have of a flyfisherman in the Dining Room.

I'll add the cars as well. My 4runner. Always a rod in the back, a clouser minnow in the visor. Fly box in the consol, hemostats in the glove box. Waders / Boots. Ready to go!!

There is a little bit of artwork in the livingroom, but other than that it might be hard to tell. Unless of course you go into the basement ... or the barn ... or the garage ... or the other garage ... and can't forget the pillows in the camper... I've got some fly fishing gear or material just about everywhere except of the tool shed and the chicken coop. Scratch that. I've got flyfishing material in the chicken coop too, but it is still running around. the wife keeps me in line in the living areas though.

perhaps this could give me away...

I just can't hide anymore.. :-D

hmmm... well I'm in an apartment, so my Utility room has about 10 plano boxes full of material, I have a little art work lying around, fishing mags all over, pictures of me fishing or holding fish or someone else doing the same in almost every room, I have a closet full of rods and bags and my car right now has 3 fly rods, waders, pack, and about 10 fly boxes along with two tackle bags and a milk crate full of plano boxes as wells as 3 or 4 spinning rods. I can't remember! Its actually kind of pathetic how much I am addicted to fishing.

They wouldn't until they went to the man room in the basement. Then It would become quite obvious. Or if they entered through the garage and saw the kayak and the two float tubes and the waders drying...

sandfly wrote:

Hey sandfly has a sign now! If we ever have a Jam up north again, we won't have to drive all the way to Wellsboro to get directions to his shop!

Well, once they got done stepping over all of the clothes, pizza boxes, skoal tins, and general junk, they'd see tying supplies bottles of gink, and various fishing magazines strewn about my coffee table. The supplies are next to an old laptop computer with this forum, among a few other sites pulled up. To their right they'd see a mounted hybrid striped bass affectionately known as "fish". When they go downstairs through our old, horribly rickety, and downright cluttered college house, they'd see a whole bunch of gear, rods, and waders. I'd be sleeping shirtless somewhere (hopefully comfortable) amongst all of this with a mayfly tattooed on my right arm.

At this point, I'd request to be woken up via a loud yell or a kick to the ribs and asked if I'd like to go wet a line.

jayL,

I'm officially jealous.

Oh how I miss college

Enjoy it!!!!

Bob

The TU decal on my jeep gives me away as far as when I'm traveling or am on the stream.

In my apartment, it's easy. There's the trout calendar, littany of fly fishing magazines and books and framed pictures from fishing trips past and of trout on my walls. Then there's the corner, where my rods are kept in their tubes and the tying bench is a dead give away.

Interesting thread :cool:

I actually talked my wife into building the house out of feathers and head cement. Upon entering the arched doorway one would notice the framework made of all my broken rods. The door is carved with images of rainbow trout and painted by local artisans. The pictures of my great fishing exploits have been made into mosaic tiles that cover our trophy laden walls. The local villagers come to see and touch my many gilded Abel rods. Need I go on?
Nobody here with a wife is gonna get to lay his crap around the house. Bruno, you're a lucky man. Good one Sandfly.

jack are u saying I'm in a horse barn, cause thats where your map shows...go to the right across the field ...

Buckbarrett wrote: "Nobody here with a wife is gonna get to lay his crap around the house", end quote.
Well, sorry to inform you, but that ONLY holds true, I'd guess "IF" your spouse doesn't keep HER OWN rod tubes, stacked close to yours!!?
As to; "how would another fly fisher might know, I fly fish"............ I'd say the very first "sign", would be coming up our driveway and seeing the license frame on my CRV, which reads; "I'd rather be tying flies". Next, would be the weather vane, in the yard............. made of a stainless steel cutout of a rainbow, with an Adams for north, a BWO for south, etc.
Coming into the house, you would pass "his and hers" chest waders, hanging in their drying racks, if you came in through the mudroom. The size 13 and 6 wading boots, would be sitting there, below the waders.
Turn left, out of the mudroom and you'd walk into "The Hole". (Try, not to inhale too deeply at this point or you may choke on some airborne marabou, floating about.) If you go, right and not into "The Hole", (tying-rod building-gear storage room), you'll still perhaps notice, my bride's art work of a leaping trout..going after a Mayfly painted on cedar........ in the hallway. In the living room, is more of her fish themed artwork, but you may also have to move a rod tube off the sofa, in order to sit down.
Next to the wood stove, is a large piece of cardboard, to which is pinned a few capes, we're drying out, after my wife and I have dyed them some useful steelhead colors. On the bookshelves, spaced between some 700 books on fishing and fly fishing, are antique fly reels, hand carved fish decoys, old plugs, lures, etc.
On the table, next to "my chair" is a stack of magazines, that SOMEDAY, HONEST.............. I, AM, going to actually take the time and cut out the patterns and articles, from them that I want to keep!
And, there's the "fly pattern wall clock", the "fly plates" that we've both purchased over the years, a Cutthroat Trout throw, over the back of the love seat, etc.
If you "need to use the facilities", you'll find the kybo-tape, on the fly reel dispenser, made from oak, on the wall by the throne!

Its not as obvious as some that have been described, but there are subtle hints. The only thing that stands out in our living areas is the background on my laptop - a picture of me fishing on Penns. We have an upstairs small den that has some shelves with my fly fishing and tying books displayed, along with my Penn State collectibles. The tying materials are in a large cabinet in this room. My other equipment is in our basement.

My office at work has some more obvious signs. Two framed watercolors of a brown and rainbow and more photographs from a spring trip to Penns.

sandfly wrote:
jack are u saying I'm in a horse barn, cause thats where your map shows...go to the right across the field ...

Oops! No wonder we had a tough time finding it (it's the one on the left, right?):

It would either be the rods and waders in the mud room or anything in the "fishing" room.

Boyer

The flyfishing is not terribly obvious, but the love of the outdoors is. A loon welcome sign hangs autside the front door. Upon entering you will feel as though you have entered an Adirondack Lodge. Pine floors, stone & pine walls, large stone wood burning fireplace. Furniture is rustic as well, log and leather. As you begin to look around you will find a large brown trout, map of the ADK mountains, pack basket full of rod tubes, signed framed prints of thr trout of PA signed by President Carter(purchased via auction from TU chapter), wooden trout carvings, canoe paddle on the wall, several framed mayfly and/or trout prints. Wow, upon further review maybe it is very obvious. I must not think it obvious as I have become accustomeed to the look. As many have indicated, a vehicle full of gear in the driveway is most likely an early tip-off.

JackM wrote:
sandfly wrote:

Hey sandfly has a sign now! If we ever have a Jam up north again, we won't have to drive all the way to Wellsboro to get directions to his shop!

How do you get that type of air photo? Is that done on Google Earth? I doubt if my old Macintosh could handle that, but maybe I'll just have to get a new computer if it allows me to pull up those kinds of air photos. I'd love to check out some trout streams that way before hiking in.

troutbert wrote:

How do you get that type of air photo? Is that done on Google Earth? I doubt if my old Macintosh could handle that, but maybe I'll just have to get a new computer if it allows me to pull up those kinds of air photos. I'd love to check out some trout streams that way before hiking in.

These are from www.maps.yahoo.com

You have to select either satellite or hybrid in the top right part of the map image. Some parts of the country zoom in closer with full focus more so than others.

E.g., name that stream:

They wouldn't even have to come into the house. My dad carved a door out of Oak. On it is a view of Yosemite valley. On the left is El cap and on the right is Half dome. Twix the two is inlaid stained glass from Yough Glass. Right to the left of the door knob resides me playing a fish in the Merced river.

Back