How to restore a creek?

marcq

marcq

the situation I have a small stream near me that seems to be limestone or limestone influenced Which
has over the years has Changed. As a kid I remember being able to grab a can of worms and go catch am many fat stocked rainbows as I wanted out of it. I’m pretty sure they were stocked But they lived there all year and the water was ice cold in the middle of August. In recent years the township has done some work and changed a bridge where this creek flowed through and now The trout are nowhere to be found. the creek is now full of silt and shallow. I think I’m gonna try throwing a few trout in the section and see how they do but any tips on how to make this stream better habitat for trout would be appreciated. is it possible that trees blocking trout from cruising up in this section would be the issue? It’s a minimal jump at best for them. I like the structure it provides for them.

thanks marc

is it possible that trees blocking trout from cruising up in this section would be the issue? It’s a minimal jump at best for them. I like the structure it provides for them.
Without knowing what stream it is or which stretch, and without photos, we can't really evaluate the situation.

But regarding downed trees, that is a normal component of stream structure referred to as "large woody debris." In most cases it provides good fish habitat and trout can move past it.

Regarding work the township did, without before and after photos, we can't evaluate it. But there are many cases where they get a machine in the creek to open it up so that the water passes through easily that result in a wide, flat streambed with the water flowing in a shallow sheet over it, with very little in the way of holding water (pools and cover.)

I think I’m gonna try throwing a few trout in the section and see how they do...

Depending on the state where this stream is located, you may be breaking a law or requirement by doing your own stocking...

If it was me, I'd start by contacting an Area Fisheries Manager (if you are in PA) or the equivalent in another state and ask them what happened as it appears it was stocked by an agency or club at one time.

Bottom line, the lack of fish may be an issue that won't be resolved by just putting more fish in the creek...

“Ice cold in the middle of August” sounds like there was once potential for wild trout there during your lifetime unless habitat was already substantially degraded by stormwater runoff or sedimentation, which is possible since you didn’t mention ever having caught any. Lancaster Co has a number of “shot limestoners,” for example….cold water but buried in sediment.

The break down of the construction done is there was a bridge with about a 30 inch pipe that the stream used to run through. Maybe it blocked fish from going further up stream. Under that pipe was a a big pool where fish would hold. Mostly gravel steam bed
Now the concrete bridge maybe 10 feet wide and shallow underneath. It’s all sediment now. The water still seems cold enough for trout. It tends to be an off milky color once it hits the main section of the stream it feeds which is stocked by the state.
I might just go there one day with a rake and try to stir up the silt to see if I can make some sort of channel.

With a few exceptions, it seems like newer bridge construction does not provide much in the way of nice pools. Maybe it is blind luck, or maybe new bridge pools need time to regenerate. It is true that many of the "bridge pools" are aided by a rock dam that helps fill the pool. Many of the bridges I am thinking of are on Middle Creek in Lancaster County. I see a new one is going on Rock Road. That is a nice pool with a spring running in on the upstream side. Anxious to see what happens.

With a few exceptions, it seems like newer bridge construction does not provide much in the way of nice pools. Maybe it is blind luck, or maybe new bridge pools need time to regenerate.
It's true that many old bridges and culverts form nice pools and most newer ones do not. It's not blind luck or a matter of time to regenerate. There is a logical explanation for it.
Old bridges were usually built with narrow openings, to save money and because of the technology available then. A narrow opening concentrates flow causing high velocity, which excavates a pool. That pool does not fill in because during every high flow event high velocity flows dig the sediment out.

The high velocity flows and downcutting also threatens the supports for the bridge. And with a small bridge opening, water can back up above the bridge during floods, creating pressure that can cause bridge failures.

Because of these problems, when the bridge is replaced, the new bridges are typically built with much wider spans, to pass flood flows. And often the channels are dug wide with machinery. But this leads to a wide, flat channel with shallow water, rather than a "bridge pool."

It's similar with old fashioned culverts and their new replacements. The old culverts had a small opening and concentrated flow which carved out a pool. The new culverts are built much larger, and are often arched structures with flat bottoms. The advantages are that fish can migrate upstream now, and they often could not where there was a large drop from the culvert pipe down to the pool. And the larger opening passes flood flows better, and is less likely to get clogged up with trees.

The disadvantage is that no pool forms at the new style culvert. On some small streams, the bridge and culvert pools were the best pools on the streams. They were artificial habitat, but nevertheless they were the best pools, and much of the trout population in the small streams were in there. I think it's likely that many culvert replacement projects reduces the trout population in the stream for this reason.

Because our streams are mostly very highly altered, i.e. channelized, they tend to have limited pool formation, with far less pool habitat than they did originally, reducing the trout populations greatly from their original condition. So, all good pool habitat should be valued, whether it is naturally formed, or artificially created by bridges and culverts.

I think engineers could design bridges and culverts that meet all the usual civil engineering goals, AND also form good fish habitat, i.e. pools, and provide good grade control in the upstream direction.

But, in general, I don't think they've ever been ASKED to do that. If anyone knows of any efforts along these lines, please let us know.

I did see a recently built bridge on a small stream in Centre County, which may have been constructed with these goals in mind. It appears to have been designed large enough to pass flood flows, and to provide grade control in the upstream direction (to prevent incision), AND to create a deep pool under the bridge.

This bridge has a concrete "sill" running across the channel at the upper part of the bridge, and another "sill" across the channel at the lower part of the bridge. These "sills" provide grade control, stabilizing the channel in the upstream direction. And in the middle, between the sills, there is a moderately deep pool. It does not fill in with sediment because the water drops over the upstream sill and the velocity and turbulence keeps the sediment washed out. And the sills are low enough that fish can easily move over past them. I can't remember if the sills had slots or not, but slots could aid fish passage.

So, it is possible to create bridges that incorporate pool habitat for fish, if that is a design goal. It may cost a little more money, but those sills are probably a small percentage of the total cost. And they may not even have been thinking of fish habitat. They may have just built those sills for grade control, to prevent high velocity flows from undercutting of the bridge supports.

NJ Fish and Wildlife at one time had a liaison with the road department to address road and culvert issues. However, that was an early victim of budget cuts that keeps shrinking the dept.

Like Bamboozle said call your Area Fisheries Manager. An alternative may be to call your local Conservation District. Maybe the Area Fisheries Manager refers you to the Conservation District. Also, stocking fish from a private hatchery may require a permit in 2024. So you might want to look in to that.
Wood is good for cricks and the critters and fish that call them home. Culverts created deep pools but are magnets for herons and other birds that prey on fish.
Anyhow,good luck and thanks for showing concern for the water that flow through your property and our state and a willingness to be proactive in helping.

It's true that many old bridges and culverts form nice pools and most newer ones do not. It's not blind luck or a matter of time to regenerate. There is a logical explanation for it.
Old bridges were usually built with narrow openings, to save money and because of the technology available then. A narrow opening concentrates flow causing high velocity, which excavates a pool. That pool does not fill in because during every high flow event high velocity flows dig the sediment out.

The high velocity flows and downcutting also threatens the supports for the bridge. And with a small bridge opening, water can back up above the bridge during floods, creating pressure that can cause bridge failures.

Because of these problems, when the bridge is replaced, the new bridges are typically built with much wider spans, to pass flood flows. And often the channels are dug wide with machinery. But this leads to a wide, flat channel with shallow water, rather than a "bridge pool..."

The "new" bridge over the Francis Branch on Francis Road comes immediately to mind...

I caught some nice(er) fish under the old bridge, not the case with the new bridge...

how to restore a creek is a broad question. many things go into restoring creeks, rivers,or lakes. you have boulder placement, areas to dig out for pools, making runs, supporting river banks, planting trees, making under cut banks. its not a DIY project. requires heavy machinery, people, permits, and of course time. once a river is restored you will need a full 4 seasons for everything to settle, take place, and see results. i have seen it first hand. its a major production. and hats off to the guys who get it done. they do great work

I don’t think the my areas fisheries management would take the time or even care to put time into this place. It’s about a 100 yards long the rest is on private property. I bet and have heard the stream holds fish all year in that area. it’s a high end country club.

To restore would be to restore ecological function that serves the entire cold water ecosystem. A lot of time people confuse restoration with just creating some habitat for invasive brown and rainbow trout with rail road ties, wood, and rip rap, this is more an augmentation than restoration, and often short lived at that. A good restoration considers much much more than just “holes” to fish. All depends on what the person’s goals are who is looking to work in a stream.

I don’t think the my areas fisheries management would take the time or even care to put time into this place.
A few years ago , I thought the same about a crick that flows through the yard at my cabin. I was wrong and you won't know if you don't try. Seems like most people in that line of work aren't in it for the money.

If nothing else, Fisheries Management will be able to tell you if it was stocked, who stocked it and why stocking stopped...

Reactions: CRB
To restore would be to restore ecological function that serves the entire cold water ecosystem. A lot of time people confuse restoration with just creating some habitat for invasive brown and rainbow trout with rail road ties, wood, and rip rap, this is more an augmentation than restoration, and often short lived at that. A good restoration considers much much more than just “holes” to fish. All depends on what the person’s goals are who is looking to work in a stream.
Haha i post this last night and the orvis podcast craps this episode out this morning. Heres what I was talking about for most part

“Wiggly ditch”, thats pretty much most of our PA streams in the valleys. I like this guy

I have been a bridge designer for 25 years and have designed many bridges and culverts in the state. Troutbert has said it very well what goes on with new structures.

As for stream crossings, one of the primary objectives is to prevent flooding. Most older structures have become obsolete with higher flows due to more surface runoff during storm events. In almost all cases the bridge structure will be wider or the culvert will be larger to allow for increased flows. Older structures, that restrict this flow, create higher turbulence and what is called a scour pool and this water can backup on the upstream side causing flooding which in worst case situations can overtop the roadway. Scouring is very bad for a structure since it can undermine the foundation and cause the structure to fail prematurely. There are soo many factors that go into the design and each is unique. You can trust that each is designed properly.

Many times additional rock (rip-rap) is installed at the base of the abutments, piers and wingwalls to prevent further scour that will damage the structure and cause it to fail prematurely.

Bridges and culverts are very expensive to replace and steps must be taken to ensure their structural safety and longevity and ability to handle up to 100 year flood events all are taken into consideration.

All steps are taken to also ensure that proper habitat is not disturbed or negatively affected in the design, but you must understand that public safety and costs will always come first.

To be honest, you should worry less about structures and more about the overall stream habitat, excessive runoff from impervious surfaces, and reduced riparian buffers in the area. That is what is degrading our streams.

Last edited:
Back