How to get long leader to turn over with 2 wt rod.

MOSTLY...DEPENDS IF I HAVE ANY LEFT OR IF THEY'RE ALL IN THE TREES...

A few years ago I was fishing a new four weight bamboo fly rod. The DT4 line and leader I use on my fast action graphite rod wasn't working out. My loops were good but the leader would collapse, failing to roll the fly out there. Research on the bamboo forum led me to a statement that "the stiffness of the leader butt section should be equal to the stiffness of the fly line tip section". The butt section of my leader was way more stiff than the fly line, I assume killing the energy from my fly line. So I quickly built out a leader beginning with a 15 pound butt section. Problem solved. Energy from the fly line now transitions to the leader much better. Need to carry special leaders for bamboo, but not a big deal.

Sorry I have to ask why a 2 wt ? I'm sure you could accomplish the same fishing with a 3 or a 4 wt ?

I never understood that 2wt rod concept either. I have a 7'-6" 4 wt. rod that is perfect for the tightest streams and smallest fish. Also, if you are on a small stream a 7' leader is all you really need or want for that matter to allow for casting without getting hung up in the trees. Any longer leader works much better with a 4-5 wt rod.

I love 2 weights :)

I got the 2 wt rod (Sage Circa) because it was a smoking hot deal and thought it would be good for small streams and drys. I never fished dry flies much in the past, usually nymphs or streamers. I have 7-1/2' and 10' 3 wt rods. The 7-1/2' is pretty fast and has never seemed very good for small dries. The 10' rod is a bear getting through the brush. I have a 9' 4 wt but it is real fast. I agree the 2 wt is whimpy, however, it is light as a feather and a joy to cast in close.

LetortAngler wrote:
I love 2 weights :)
Me too, I own two of them. I use mine for midge/tricos when fishing low clear limestoners.

Back