How to get it done with a 5' 2wt until Friday

Jessed

Jessed

I let my cousin borrow my fly rods until Friday and all I have is my 5' 2 wt. I tried fishing the other day ( got skunked) casted ok with dries and streamers but had lots of trout with the indicator. I could cast it but I had so much problems with tangles . Any plan how to fish with the 2wt until Friday?

I have a 6' 6" 4wt that has the same problem with indicators. I've found that I have to roll cast and can't make any other casts without it wrapping itself around the rod. If you fish a lake just use small buggers because you can catch pretty much anything on them. If you're on a trout stream, keep with dries if they are rising, but if not, try nymphing czech style but use regular weighted flies, (Like tight lining). It'll be tough with such a short rod, and you might need waders, so hopefully you have some. Hope you have some luck out there.

A 2wt?

From now until this Friday...as in...4 days from now?

Leave all that nymphing crap at home and head out to a brookie stream with a half dozen #14 stimulators.

I think I'll try nymphing without the indacator. Any tips on feeling the strike? I do ok with that on brook trout streams but idk about bigger water.

Cold wrote:
A 2wt?
Leave all that nymphing crap at home and head out to a brookie stream with a half dozen #14 stimulators.

This is good advice. ^

A 2WT fly rod is a specialty outfit and very poorly suited to most nymph or streamer applications. You can certainly keep at it, but such a rod is better for tiny creeks and dry flies.

Obviously, you'll get different opinions on this, but speaking just for myself: I love tiny fly rods and routinely fish short sticks in the 5' length. . .and even I won't use a 2WT.

Jessed wrote:
I think I'll try nymphing without the indacator. Any tips on feeling the strike? I do ok with that on brook trout streams but idk about bigger water.

Feeling a strike with that short of rod on a big river? Never tried to tight line a short rod and by short I mean anything below 9 feet. Listen to the suggestions, small stream, dry flies, not having the right tools will drive you crazy.

Obviously, you'll get different opinions on this, but speaking just for myself: I love tiny fly rods and routinely fish short sticks in the 5' length. . .and even I won't use a 2WT.

If you won't use a 2wt, I'd have to call into question your claim of loving tiny fly rods. ;)

FWIW, my two most used rods are a 9' 6wt, fast action...and a 6'9" 1wt, med. fast. You can nymph with the 1wt, but if it's anything more substantial than a little zebra midge or something hanging off a stimulator, it's no fun (for me). Ideally, you're using it to flip around something no bigger than a #14, without any junk hanging down off of it, preferably in cold pocket water on a little stream, to maniac hungry brookies.

Ok, let's say you don't leave all that crap at home, and go for the bigger water.
First, I'd definitely take off the indicator as you suggested , and shorten up the leader to where you feel comfortable, it might just help detect strikes a bit better as well. Once you've done that, work on that timing to avoid the tangles.
I had my buddy fishing my little 2wt last week after letting him cast my 8'6" H2 and the first words out of this mouth were "how the hell do you cast this damn thing" and that's with a 7' rod.
Take the time to make the adjustments needed, and try to keep the fly size appropriate to the weight/length of that rod such as lighter nymphs and dries.

Fish for Gemmies as mentioned. Or attach a spinning rod to it.

Or wash/wax/detail your car, or better yet your wife's car, and bank some fishing points to be cashed in later while you wait to get your rods back.

Or make sure you have enough "backup" backup rods so that you can loan a few to a cousin and still have a spare to fish with (and a spare to fish with if your spare breaks). Also, not fishing for four days probably won't do you in.

#FirstWorldProblems :)

The solution was to by more rods, then the hashtag first world problems I like what you did there! However I have started to worry about my backup breaking the couple times my primary rod for the trip broke. I wish Amazon would do same day delivery to the Delaware River , you know just in case my five foot two weight broke.

Number one problem is loaning all your fly rods out when you were planning on fishing.

2nd problem, trying to do anything but dry fly fishing on a brook trout stream on that rod.

What I would do: Just go buy another rod/reel combo since you need one.

PM me and I will lend you a 4 or 5wt rod set up of your choice and give you my address!!!
I live near Ridley Creek of West ChesterPike

^ thanks for the offer but I got my rods back!!!! All is normal . I coulda cared less about my 6 or 8 wt but was really missing the 4 wt

Back