How to fish pocket water

Thanks Afish. Real good article. Reading the stream and presentation, there's a lot to learn.

I was taught to fish the dry dropper rig in pocket water by Loren Williams. We were fishing the Chittenango in NY. If anyone is familiar with this stream it has a varying amount of water types. Riff, runs, long deep pools, undercut banks, but the best part... The pocket water.

He showed me how to fish the pocket water to an extreme amount of precision. I normally would fish it with my high sticking method and move on. He demonstrated how using the dry dropper rig you could get that perfect drift behind those boulders. It was eye opening. Fish after fish after fish. Normal nymphing methods just did not suffice hitting those slow pockets.

I fish a lot of pocket water and almost always tight line . With a heavy anchor fly to keep other flies. In the zone and drift I want

I was taught to fish the dry dropper rig in pocket water by Loren Williams. We were fishing the Chittenango in NY. If anyone is familiar with this stream it has a varying amount of water types. Riff, runs, long deep pools, undercut banks, but the best part... The pocket water.

He showed me how to fish the pocket water to an extreme amount of precision. I normally would fish it with my high sticking method and move on. He demonstrated how using the dry dropper rig you could get that perfect drift behind those boulders. It was eye opening. Fish after fish after fish. Normal nymphing methods just did not suffice hitting those slow pockets.
Loren definitely knows his stuff. Good advice I will put to use.

Back