How"s your beetle fishing been?

DaveS

DaveS

I noticed an unusually brown crown to a tree recently and upon further investigation found a pretty heavy Japanese Beetle infestation. Perhaps the heaviest I've seen since I was a kid. Sadly there is no stream or other water next to this but it gets me to thinking I should explore some nearby waters.

I remember hearing tremendous fish tales of the Letort during the heydays of Japanese Beetles in the 70's.

It was also fishing beetles that I had my first really impressive outing flyfishing for trout as a young man. Probably in '83, on the Yellow Breeches.

I haven't been out lately, but here's hoping some of you are doing some good work plopping down a beetle on the water near you.

Attachments

• IMG_6847.JPG
    IMG_6847.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6866.JPG
    IMG_6866.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6867.JPG
    IMG_6867.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 4
My last time out - about two weeks ago - I fished a small WT stream in your neck of the woods Dave. And had a 30-40 fish day, using nothing but beetle patterns.
My go-to pattern all summer and fall
Don't leave home without them!

Beetles are my second favorite dry fly pattern.
We have beetles all over my farm in mass. Every other year the farmer plants soy we get them. Some are huge green beetles, every other year I think how much I wish a trout stream was on the property.
You can still have great days on the Letort with a beetle. I prefer to tie mine with hair wings, the slightly different profile gets them going.

DFG, I think I have an idea of where you were, glad it was a good day for you.

I know where I need to look, just need a little more time to do it.

Another big beetle fly fan here.

I was just thinking the other day about Japanese Beetles as they are eating some of the vines near my place of work. There does seem to be a bit more of them in my neck of the woods this year.

Anyway, you almost can't go wrong with a beetle this time of year, and they work very well well into autumn. Unless I'm seeing Japanese Beetles on my local streams, I tend to favor beetle patterns a bit on the slender side.

Here is a humorous take that the older guys on this forum may remember.This time of the year when I clamber down into the stream (often times the upper delayed harvest section of Laurel Hill Creek), armed with a selection of terrestrials ....the visual of the famous introduction on the Ed Sullivan Show pops into my head and I chuckle to myself as I tie one on : "Ladies and Gentlemen....The Beatles " !!
You younger guys won't get it , but Ed Sullivan had a very popular Sunday night tv variety show...and he was the first to have The Beatles on American tv...and they became an overnight sensation.

Caught a dozen or so brookies last night on beetles, so Id say the beetle fishing is going okay, although I'm pretty sure those brookies would of taken anything

I also have noticed a butt ton of jap beetles around my house. Ive been fishing over at big spring alot lately and i been hoping to see the same. Walking through the medows I have noticed almost none its so odd. Did have rising fish the other week no idea what they were taking. Tempeted a few on a beetle pattern though no takers .

Got one on a beetle on the first cast late morning on Spring Creek above paradise.

Fished the trico hatch on Spring Creek last Friday. After the spinner fall I put away my 2 weight fly rod and I dug out my "Iwana" 12 foot tenkara rod and fished the shaded banks with a beetle pattern. Ended up landing my personal best tenkara wild brown trout to date. A very stout, heavy 16 inches. With beetles "The hatch is always on"!

Japanese beetles have crushed my hops this year. I don't think I've ever seen them this bad.

I'm seeing somewhat more Japanese beetles this year as well. Could be a better than average beetle fishing summer.

There used to be excellent beetle fishing along the lower Gunpowder River in MD.

I have not done that in quite a few years but the Blue Mount road stretch used to be great when the beetle infestation was heavy.

Mark C

The hawthorne tree in my yard has a very similar infestation. Hoping it make it. While the beetle "hatch" is on, I really haven't capitalized on it due to stream temps.. luckily it hangs on for a while, September will tell.

fantastic beetles this year

Attachments

• IMG_0622.JPG
    IMG_0622.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0623.JPG
    IMG_0623.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0624.JPG
    IMG_0624.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 3
https://frostyfly.com/shop/realistic-insect-legs-3d/#
These legs are the bomb. One day on spring creek 20 fish but the poor beetle was shredded only these legs remained.

Back